“Music Jewel in the heart of Alpharetta, Georgia” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 35 things to do in Alpharetta
Alpharetta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Music Jewel in the heart of Alpharetta, Georgia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you love live music, and you haven't heard of the Velvet Note, take note. This is one of my favorite finds to date. It is located in between a subway shop and a brazillian wax salon in an unassuming strip mall, but I promise you, if you make the trip, you will not be dissapointed.

The Velvet Note features music of so many venues, but jazz is mostly featured . Last night, on a lark, my husband and I took a friend to see a fantastic young trumpeter, Wade Baker. He was backed by some Atlanta based musicians who he had never played with before and the results were something not to be missed.

The Velvet note really is set up to feel as if you had invited musicians to play in your living room...That is, if your living room had been set up with a state of the art sound system designed by a protege of George Lucas. The sound produced in this place is studio grade, clear, and so essential to listening to this caliber of music. Oh, and if this weren't enough, the ceiling above you is wide open with a moving fiber optic night sky, adding to the acoustics of the room.

Dinner, drinks and food is also served at the Velvet note, served on paper plates and plastic silverware to keep the sounds to a minimum. We always have wine and dessert, ( We show up for the 9:30 show) but the food brought out makes me wish I'd held out for something brought out during the show.

The folks running the Velvet Note are so above hospitable, I promise you, you will feel as if you have made new friends. The cool thing about this place is the availability to the musicians as well ... I always see members of the bands talking with people afer the show, and they always have CDs of their music for sale.

If you haven't been to the Velvet Note , check out their website , they always have an updated schedule, and for God's sake, treat yourself to some fantastic music...This place is comporable to any jazz house (Say, Birdland ) in New York City, but the ticket prices are so reasonable, I'd take Velvet Note any old day!!!

Visited May 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice venue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I attended Frank McComb's show here last night. The crab cakes were ok, just a tad salty for my taste. The gentleman at my table said the jerk chicken was ok. The margarita was very good. I told the bartender I like my drinks sweet, so he made sure I was pleased. I highly recommend you to make reservations prior to the event you wish to attend. If you are meeting friends there, make sure you call the venue after you purchase your ticket, to ensure that you all will be seated at the same table. Seating is limited and you may have to share a table with other customers. Overall, I will go back.

Visited March 2013
Alpharetta, Georgia
“HIGHLY RECOMMEND!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Took lady friend during Valentine's Day weekend special. This was our first time visit. We were very pleased with the atmosphere, the sax playing was super and the food/vino was excellent! The staff are very friendly, helpful and keeps the place upbeat.
If you visit for the first time, like us, you might be surprised at the dinnerware...plastic knife/fork and plates. As it was explained to us by the server and later on stage intro, this was a decision by owner to further enhance the music experience. That is, not hear the clicking, clacking of silverware to ceramic china. It made perfect sense to us after the explanation...it works...one hears the purity of the individual instruments and the special constructed room was made to pick up the nuances and actually shunted the sound of small chatting. Made for a wonderful listening experience! I would highly recommend.

Visited February 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“We are in love with this venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

WE have been three times now and each experience has been outstanding. It is a great place for a date night and quickly becoming our favorite NFulton music venue. We keep a constant eye on the upcoming acts and make it a point to support the establishment. We really enjoy the 9:30p show time and the wine list is respectable for such a small place. This is a "must" in Forth Fulton.

Visited December 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Jazz Club in the Burbs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

For those who live in the No. GA suburbs or are visiting the area and would prefer not to drive into town for a fun evening, do go to The Velvet Note Acoustic Living Room! It's small, intimate, quaint and boasts some of the best local and international Jazz artists with an amazing lineup of entertainment 7 nights a week. If you are looking to relax with a small group of friends for a celebration, The Velvet Note is perfect. If you want to have a nice mellow night with a date, The Velvet Note is the place. If you are traveling solo and just want to hear some great music and make new friends, The Velvet Note is what you are looking for! The staff is excellent with exceptional customer service. It's a small, privately-owned establishment so they are very enthusiastic in wanting to make it work and it shows. Many of the patrons are locals who frequent the place so they are really fun and friendly and clearly want to see this place do well in their neighborhood so they can socialize closer to home. Aside from the great music, when you look up at the ceiling, there's a wonderful star-studded, night sky effect that adds to the elegant ambiance of the locale. They serve ale and wine and the night I was there, they didn't have any food but I know they serve meals (I may have missed the kitchen when I got there). Definitely a place that I will frequent as often as I am able. Do go when you can!!!

Visited October 2012