“Adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Alpharetta
Spotsylvania, Virginia
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Doubletree Alpharetta is an adequate hotel. But the rave reviews are simply not warranted.

The place is small. That can be a good thing, but in this case it appears that management cannot, or will not, provide adequate staff. The inadequacy is two fold: first, there just are not many employees around. Second, the ones who are around are simply not that interested in being helpful.

When we were arriving after a long drive, I called the hotel to make sure we were headed in the right direction. The phone rang 16 times before it was answered. By that time we had actually found the place. The next morning I stopped by for two cups of coffee before my wife and I worked out. Although I had a coupon, the breakfast attendant wanted to charge me a dollar a cup even though we were coming back for breakfast after working out. When we did arrive for breakfast, I had hoped to have an omlet. However, that involved a three dollar surcharge. So my wife and I would have ended up spending $8.00 for our "free" breakfast. Compare this experience to the Hilton Garden Inns in Alpharetta (Windward Parkway and Northpoint). Both offer big urns of coffee in the mroning for guests, gratis. The omlets are also available at no extra charge.

The room was smallish. There is no closet, so the amoire takes up a lot of room. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is small (the sink is actually outside in the bedroom). The cheap vinyl shower had a large chip on the ledge where you put the soap and shampoo. However, the shower had double heads, and the water pressure was excellent.

The rooms have been remodeled recently, and look very nice. However, the stylish curtain near the easy chair had a large white stain on it, rather off-putting.

Speaking of cleanliness, the sink in the bathroom of the workout room was not wiped down over the three days we were there. There were no disinfectant wipes in the container, and one of the tv monitors did not have sound. This was a shame because the gym had more equipment than is usual in a hotel of this class.

The cookies were nice, and the staff on the weekdays (we arrived on Friday and left on Monday) seemed to try a bit harder. But on the whole, the Doubletree seems to be phoning it in. We will return to the Hilton Garden Inn Windward Parkway on our next visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent service and reasonable pricing. Carlton at the front desk is always very pleasant, and the morning breakfast crew are always attentive. In addition, the rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. I have stayed at this location a handful of times already and it is quality consistent. A great overall experience for the business traveler.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

For me, this property was ideally located for my short business trip. There is a good selection of restaurants nearby. I hads a good night's sleep. No problems whatsoever. One can't ask for more than that. I will be back.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I come to Alpharetta at least every 4-6 weeks to visit with our kids and grandkids. The DoubleTree is our hotel of choice! We highly recommend it!

The staff is fantastic! Carlton and all the staff always make us feel right at home. We really appreciate the friendly atmosphere. We usually request the same room and they always try to accommodate us.The rooms are a comfy size and well kept. The beds are very comfortable. We find the gym a little on the small side but it works just fine for us.

The breakfast each morning is more than sufficient. They have a good selection of hot and cold items; including oatmeal, French toast, cereal, fruit and omelets made to order and yummy carrot raisin muffins. The ladies that staff the morning restaurant service are very helpful and friendly.

Just be aware this hotel is generally quite full during the week and parking seems a bit limited if you return later in the evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Statesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night in early December. No complaints at all. Really nice lobby, beautiful room (a little small, but I didn't spend a lot of time in it), was REALLY quiet at night. I didn't try the restaurant, so can't comment on that (there was no one in the restaurant when I checked in at about 6PM). Decent value for the price, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: It's a little tricky to find, as it's tucked away down a side road, so make sure you follow...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The Doubletree Altanta-Alpharetta is mine & my team's hotel of choice when I travel to this area. The rooms have all been recently renovated with very comfortable beds, very modern bathrooms, and a gym that isn't too overcrowded in the mornings. What really makes the hotel for me, however, is the caliber of service provided. The staff learned my name, and was always helpful and responsive. I highly recommend it.

martinez
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I recently spent several nights at this hotel during a conference in Atlanta. The staff were pleasant from check in to check out offering a warm chocolate chip cookie on check in and upon request which was nice. Rooms are spotless clean, spacious and include wifi. Rooms provided a quiet stay with the most comfortable beds and breakfast was excellent. The hotel lobby and grounds are clean and very welcoming. I will definitely choose to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Doubletree Hotel Atlanta/Alpharetta-Windward? Share your experiences!