“Will Stay Again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Merry Acres Inn

You added Merry Acres Inn to your Saves list
Merry Acres Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 Dawson Road, Albany, GA 31707 (Formerly Quality Inn Merry Acres)   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Albany
Douglasville, Georgia
“Will Stay Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here the same weekend the Shriners were in town. It wasn't my first choice initially, but having stayed here - this is my go to in Albany. Don't let the exterior fool you, while its definitely 1950s motel on the outside; its one of the more modern interiors I've stayed in in a while. My only complaint was the breakfast was rather lackluster.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Alabaster, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This property is much prettier than we expected. There is a lot of landscaping and the grounds look very nice, even when we were there in December. Most of the rooms are set back away from the street. There are no interior corridors, you drive to your room and park outside your door. We had a king bed with a sofa in the room and everything was clean. There was a problem with the heating unit but the maintenance man came right away and replaced it with a new one. To get to the free breakfast you have to go outside to a different building but the buffet there was good. I have no problem recommending this to other travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back unit are quieter but farther from the breakfast room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Being a native of Albany, I am glad to see Merry Acres is back under the control of people who care about the history of the property. I was impressed with everything that had been done to the hotel, as were the other members of our party who had never been to Albany before.

Pros:
- Appearance and upkeep
- Staff
- Comfortable beds
- Breakfast buffet

Cons:
- Outside entrance rooms
- Small bathroom

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel that is cheap this isn't the one. HOWEVER, if you have a little extra money I'd say this is the best place to stay!
Coming in at 3 in the morning the staff was VERY nice and accommadating. Upon coming in the room it was honestly the clearest hotel room I've ever stayed in. Yes, a little dated but, with the comfort and cleanliness its easy to get over. If you looking for a good night sleep this is the place. Even my mom, who has back problems, said she has never had a better nights rest.
For breakfast they had a wide selection of things to choose from. Very good too I must add. Also, if there was something that was out or needed refresh the staff was very helpful. I give the staff an A++++
The hotel also has a pool but, because I was there on business I didn't get to enjoy. However, from the looks of it, it was clean and warm.
Overall I'd gladly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I was there one night and was very impressed. My room was quiet and clean. I had a microwave and fridge. They provide a complimentary breakfast and shuttle to the airport. The staff was very professional, attentive and informative. I enjoyed my evening there.

• Stayed September 2012
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was very pleased with my four-day business stay at this "motel". The hospitality is genuine and welcoming. The rooms are old-school motel-style rooms, however being recently renovated, they are cozy and comfortable, complete with micorowave and fridge, flat screen TVs, etc. The reception office is the old farmhouse and has been renovated and includes a cozy bar area/reception area, and front porch seating; a great place to close out the day with a cocktail and hot sandwich. Complimentary breakfasts provide options from hearty to healthy and are served tableside in the adjacent on-location restaurant. The shuttle they provide makes for extremely convenient trips to the airport and their three off-site restaurants (which are each unique and very good, by the way)... The outdoor pool and bath house has lots of character and gives a retro feel to the motel/motor lodges of times past. There are some newspaper articles framed on the walls that tell the story of the current small-business owner's vision for this neat little place (if you're like me and prefer to support local small business owners over large corporate chains).

Big-name hotel alternatives exist downtown Albany, however your own research may show that you are safer staying on the Merry Acres side of town... especially after dark. Be aware of Albany's not-so-nice neighborhoods and their proximity to where you stay.

Room Tip: So as to manage expectations, remember, they are all "motel rooms". Renovated, clean and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Watkinsville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This place used to be AWESOME! The staff, the grounds, the layout, etc. Something has happened. Dont get me wrong, the renovations are great. I didn't think the old rooms were bad, however, we always requested our favorite room.

It's still a nice place with the same staff, but not sure if they are unsure of themselves with the new mgmt or what is going on with them. It's not the same. Last time I went which was Christmas Eve 2011, there was a big issue with us paying by cash. (we had just rec'd a large sum of cash as gift and since we use a local community bank, couldn't deposit), we had to go get change for a 100 dollar bill before we could check in. Finally getting into our room, I snagged my arm on a nail jetting out of the frame of the doorway. In a newly renovated room! They did not change the frames or baseboards when renovating. Most wouldn't notice, but since we're regulars, we did. The maint guy promptly came to beat the nail in and found another lower down. No offers of anything from lady at front desk, short of a bandaid. I wasn't worried as I had just had a tetanus shot, still you would expect them to offer a DR or whatever. And this lady would I believe under previous owners. When my father was dying a few years ago, and we'd be there for weeks at a time, she upgraded our room at no charge and was very k ind.

The renovation is great, but the double (almost) in price is not worth it, imo. After 15 yrs of several trips a year to this place, I don't think we'll return. It's sad, because I really did love it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the "U" have the biggest BA. Room 120 has a large bath for a standard room. 1...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Merry Acres Inn? Share your experiences!