“Good Stay with Minor Issues” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book a Business Package
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Albany
“Good Stay with Minor Issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

After staying at a Country Inn & Suites earlier this year and really enjoying it, I thought I would try this one. The location was good with a Mellow Mushroom next door, Buffalo Wild Wings across the street, and a movie theater directly behind Mellow. Everything else is within a 5-10 minute drive. The property still looked to be in good condition, and my room was very clean without any issues. Breakfast left a lot to be desired, and although I appreciate the effort of using actual plates and cups for service, several were clearly not completely clean. My biggest complaint was having no WiFi while staying at this hotel on 2 separate occasions in October. Out of 4 nights staying at the hotel, I was able to connect to the internet a total of 10 minutes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Navin P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albany, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our location close to all restaurants and also apologize for WiFi problem because we were in the transition to upgrade all our equipment with latest technology and fast and furious. Now all in place and we look forward to your next Stay.

Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!

Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
none
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have been travelling to Albany GA quite frequently over the last five years for work at the USMC Marine Corp Base. During this time I have stayed in my fair share of hotels in Albany. I can honestly say the Country Inn and Suites on Nottingham Way is the worst hotel I have stayed in. It used to be a fine hotel and a great place to stay, not so much today.

Unfortunately, my last visit at the end of June the Country Inn was the only available hotel with the govt rate available. Upon checking in the bathroom was disgusting, I had to wipe off all the crude from the previous guest on the counter, faucet and mirror, there was pubic hair in one of the beds, the inside of the window had lip marks/lipstick all over?, and finally the tub was absolutely disgusting with the amount of mold. I attached a picture (the dark spots were actually black and mold). The hotel managers have really run this property into the ground over the last 4 years.

I checked out around 0800 on a Friday. Unfortunately I did not realize I left my kindle on the bed until I was on my flight home. I immediately called the hotel when I got home at 5 PM and spoke to the on duty manager, Ms. Lomax. She informed me that nothing has been turned in and that there was nothing she could do. Upon further pressing she said she would have the executive house keeper call me. Guess what, that call never came, there was no help over the phone, and I learned my lesson where NOT to stay in Albany. The maid that cleaned my room that day has a nice deactivated kindle. Hope she enjoys it….

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Carlson Hotels C, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albany, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We apologize for the condition of your room prior to check-in. We have notified the housekeeping staff to ensure an issue situations such as this do not reoccur in the future. We hope you can visit our hotel again so we have the chance to restore your faith in our brand, and so we can exceed your expectations in the future.
Opelika, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here to break up a trip to Orlando. We stopped right around dinner time. There is a Mellow Mushroom across the street. Many other places if you wish to get back into your car. There is a small indoor pool and hot tub. My husband loves the cookies at the front desk. Our room was quiet and clean and had everything we needed for the night. The location is good. The staff were friendly. My husband said the breakfast was okay, I slept in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and for taking time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our staff, cleanliness and location close to all restaurants. We look forward to your next Stay.

Please friend us on Facebook to stay informed of our upcoming specials!

Thanks again!
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Problem #1: This hotel is four years old and still in fairly new condition; however, the property shows more wear than it should for a four-year-old hotel. Our bathroom walls looked like granite but I think they were plastic and there were dark mold markings all around the lower wall of the shower. I checked the mold by rubbing with a tissue and nothing came off, which means the mold buildup is behind the shower wall.

Problem #2:There were small ants in the bathroom that were noticed the night before we left. I notified the front desk upon checkout that they need to get the pest control tech out to spray for ants.

Problem #3: The air conditioning did not work so well for me; true, I do require a cooler room than most people, but there was hardly any air flow coming from the vents. We had to buy a fan to set up in the room so the air flow would improve and I could sleep at night.

Problem #4: There was a family reunion going on during the time we were in Albany and the hotel was packed full of people. Teenagers were running up and down the halls late into the night, going up and down the staircase up until midnight next to our room; every time a door shut in the hallway or leading to the stairwell, our door would rattle and the sound magnified; we could see a little daylight through the seams in our door; we had to call the front desk to ask the lady to stop all the yelling, beating on the doors, and slamming doors, and this was at ll:30pm.

Problem #5: When we arrived at check-in, they had assigned us to a third-floor room, which I prefer first or second floor; so, I requested a room transfer to first or second floor, which they gave us a first floor room, #124 next to the stairwell. Upon checkout, I looked at my bill (which had already been charged to VISA) and noticed I was charged for two rooms for two nights. It took 45 min. to get this straightened out, the front desk manager had to be called at home on her off-time because the very nice young lady at the front desk was new and did not know how to delete the charge and had to make several phone calls to get everything straightened out. I missed breakfast because of the time required to straighten out the bill -- did I note that I am diabetic? -- so I was getting not only frustrated but aggravated? I cannot fault the front desk clerk as she was extremely nice, kept her cool, and did all she could to help straighten out the mess that someone else caused because they didn't delete the first room out of the system.
When the hotel is expecting a large crowd of guests, there should be two front desk clerks, not only one, and especially if there is a new clerk on duty. The new clerk did a very good job and kept her cool, but my 45-minute wait would have been much less with two people working. My check-in process was also slow due to only one clerk on duty and many people checking in.

Problem #6: Due to a family reunion, the staff were overwhelmed -- all the way from the front desk to the breakfast area. There were so many people in the breakfast area that I'm sure they surpassed the county code on capacity -- there was only standing room. The two ladies running the breakfast area worked very hard each day we were there; they were friendly, courteous, constantly working and cleaning tables, and they made the best breakfast (scrambled eggs, large link sausages, bacon, biscuits, and GRITS!!!!, juices, coffee, freshly-made waffles, etc.) we've ever had at a hotel other than the Natchez Grand in Mississippi. These ladies did a wonderful job, even under extenuating circumstances. So, I applaud them. By the way, we were not able to eat breakfast due to overcrowding and food supplies down; so, we left with the intent of stopping for breakfast on the way home.

I know this post seems very critical but I am only telling what our experiences were during this visit. The hotel desk clerks were very nice, friendly, personable, and respectful. They did a wonderful job also, even under extenuating circumstances. Will we stay at this hotel again? Maybe........BUT I will certainly make sure there is not a family reunion group staying at the same hotel as us before I make a reservation. This is the second time we have stayed at the same hotel when a reunion was going on and there were problems then, too.

POSITIVES: The front desk staff were very nice and helpful.
The breakfast hostesses were very nice, hard working, and prepared a wonderful
breakfast.
The lobby area is inviting and attractive.
The room was clean (except for the ants seen at night)
Parking is free and very adequate -- able to park in front both days there.
Hotel is close to shopping and restaurants

Recommendations:
#1: Always check to see if a reunion or large conference is being held and most of the attendees are staying at the particular hotel you are registering with.

#2: Always check your hotel bill and get a zero balance receipt for your room before leaving. It is hard sometimes to straighten out the bill once you leave the hotel and that is why I told the clerk I was not leaving the hotel WITHOUT a corrected zero balance bill.

#3: Never return your room key cards to the front desk -- your personal information is encoded in those cards and some unscrupulous person can copy your information. Take your keys with you and shred them in your home shredder. The hotels buy boxes of thousands of these cards. I prefer to shred mine and have no worries about identity stealing.

Room Tip: If we stay here again, I will request a room on second floor. There are three floors in the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Frederick, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

It is worth a little extra to be here with the indoor pool. Becasue of this place we have joined the Carlson reward program. We recommend this place to our family when they come into town to visit. And now is the time to join their program since they have bonus appoints for their anniversary available. Cons: Couple little items...tile behind bathroom door kept fallling off, light out in bathroom, only 2 sets of towels for 3 people. (We told them not to worry about addressing these items until we checkedout -becasue they weren't a big deal (except for the towels) Ants in pool area. Breakfast is wonderful.

Worst thing: We stayed here in December over Christmas and at that time I sent an email to the manager about how wonderful the hotel was, but that I was concerned about the railing of the ladder in the ppol that is held togehter by black electrical tape. Here is is 8 monthes later and the ladder is even less stable and in desperate need of replacement.... PLEASE FIX THIS!

Big wish --- King room with Sleeper sofa rather than just a king.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Newark, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I've choosed this hotel as this is very near to my Office.. But I've very bad experience with this hotel... Staff not helpful.. No Proper maintanace... People dont even connect to room's.. No staff provision provided...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Well Third Country Inn in 3 days and MAN, I am Loving this chain. This on in Albany is NO different. Carlson has it together. ONLY the best can hang the name. Great staff, although there was a small issue with my billing, It was taken care of. Clean large Jacuzzi Room and Man I will miss that when I get home BUT, I will be looking for more Country Inns in my next trip out. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business