“Great Food - Great Service - Great Dinner Establishment” 5 of 5 stars

229-896-1456
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Adel
Finger Lakes, NY
“Great Food - Great Service - Great Dinner Establishment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our supper club visited the Vietnam Traveling Wall at Adel last night and stopped for dinner at the Catfish House. Everything was superb. I am a Yankee and not familiar with catfish but I was in for a very pleasant surprise. It was incredible. We had a wonderful waitress who took very good care of our large group and the prices for the meals were very reasonable. I would highly recommend this restaurant to guests who visit the Barber-Tucker Inn in Moultrie as a wonderful place to have dinner. The restaurant is beautiful too.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Moultrie, Georgia
“Beautiful Place, Eh... Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were excited to find this treasure out in the middle of nowhere this afternoon while looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate a special day. The facility is absolutely beautiful inside & out. The decor is kind of rustic but in a very classy way. The salad bar was very impressive, and I liked the layout of the dining rooms. I had the lemonade, which they claim is fresh squeezed. It was very sweet and not tart at all. We were really really optimistic about everything... until we tasted the food.

I got the shrimp & grits, which arrived in a super humongous bowl. I literally stuffed myself (along with one trip to the salad bar) and ended up carting over half my entree home in a to-go box. The cheese grits were awesome, as was the slightly-spicy sausage crumbled on top. The shrimp, however, were not very impressive: small, under-seasoned (if seasoned at all), and kind of rubbery. I only ate one. I am hoping that they will magically taste better tomorrow when I reheat the leftovers for lunch.

My husband got the endless catfish, which comes with 2 sides, for $12.99. He was totally craving catfish and was stoked about the opportunity of hogging out on as much as he wanted. As enthusiastic of an eater as he tends to be... he choked down 3 pieces and boxed up the rest. I asked him what was the matter, and he handed me a piece. I broke it open, and a very fishy scent hit my nostrils. A taste to accompany the odor followed as I tried a small piece; he described it as "muddy." Not. Impressed.

I am hoping it was just a bad batch and might give it a second chance later on. It was a pretty pricey lunch for 2 though, to be filling up on salad and grits. We forked out over 40 bucks, including tip & drinks.

If you are like us and want some amazing catfish in Moultrie, Barber's gets our #1 vote with Market Barbeque coming in a close second (they have catfish on the buffet every Friday ~ everything on their bar is fabuloso). I think if we try Carter's Catfish House again, I will give the Stuffed Flounder a shot and be sure to order the salad bar. ;-)

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Moultrie, Georgia
“food was good, service not so good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The food was very good. We went on a Friday night and they were not real busy so you would have thought the waitress would have been all over us.... When she did come around it was only to deposit ppl in the same area we were seated. No refills unless you flagged her down. Price is reasonable for seafood also. Fried pickles were good....I had never had those before and wasn't very sure. All in all it was a decent experience for South GA.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Moultrie
“Pathetic attempt at serving seafood”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We ordered the seafood platter which had catfish, oysters, shrimp and scallops. The fishn was way over fried and was dry , tough and tasteless. The shrimp were passable but the scallops could have been mistaken for hard peas if they were green. Very small and tough as a marble.
The fruied oysters were inedible. Im not sure if they were spoiled or just very poor quality. I took one bite and immediately spit it out. TERRIBLE TASTE and VERY fishy.
I will NEVER eat there again and we live in a nearby town. I do NOT recommend this place to anyone. EXTREMELY BAD!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Waycross, Georgia
“Great find in rural georgia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

The only reason we found this place is because we were camping at the state park next door. We arrived at camp late and didn't have enough light to cook a meal. We stopped in and thought there would be a wait because of all of the cars. There were plenty of empty tables because the place is so large.

The food was great. I ate the fried catfish and it was wonderful. My spouse shared a platter with a friend and they loved everything on it. The sides were great too. Definitely get the cheese grits.

The owner was there to greet us and he was very friendly. The server and other staff were great too. I love finding local restaurants like this. I don't know if I'll ever be back in this area, but if I am, I'd definitely come back. A+ experience all around.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Carter's Catfish House? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Carter's Catfish House, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.