“Nice Location, Could Use a Renovation” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Aventura
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice Location, Could Use a Renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Stayed here for a week back in December. While this is not as nice as some of the newer Residence Inns, it wasn't a bad place at all. There were signs around the hotel that seemed to indicate that some sort or renovation or update may be coming.

PROS:
- Location is great. Nicely situated between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Adjacent to the Aventura Mall, lots of dining options and shopping too, if that's your thing. Traffic on Biscayne and Ives Dairy getting to I-95 in the AM can be a bit slow but that's Miami for you. Beaches also close by.
- Very clean property. The lobby area and breakfast area were especially well kept. This is standard for Marriott.
- Housekeeping service was prompt and thorough. Room was always clean when I would return in the evening. Housekeepers did a good job of replenishing toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap) daily.
- Food offerings. Free breakfast in the morning, as well as light snacks/drinks/desserts in the evenings. This is standard Residence Inn, but still a nice touch.
- Friendly and helpful staff.

CONS:
- Rooms seemed a little on the small side compared to some other Residence Inns. Also, while neat and clean, the rooms seemed a bit outdated. Maybe this is because I've recently stayed at some of the newer Residence Inn properties. Hopefully this place will renovate their rooms soon (and signs seemed to indicate this may be the case).
- In room TVs very outdated. Time to get into the 2000s and get flat panel TVs.

I would stay here again if in South Florida and I needed to be centrally located for both Dade and Broward counties. Nice staff and plenty of dining options close by, as well as a Publix grocery store.

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Outdated Rooms/TVs
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

We stayed at the Residence Inn Saturday Night Dec 6 for a family wedding. Our room was clean. It was also small, extremely smelly, oppresive, and had very old furniture. The pool area is small and already shady when we got there so it was not a nice place to sit. Some of the desk staff did not understand my English and did not address our complaint about our room. The hotel was filled with noisy students which made short work of the free breakfast. We regularly stay at Marriott properties, this was the worst of the hotels. I read the other reviews and wonder if we stayed at the same hotel. We found the hotel extremely expensive for the services provided. There are signs around about the upcoming renovations. Don't go until those renovations are completed.

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — Oppresive small hotel room - greatly in need of upcoming renovation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kennewick, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

We did a precruise stay here using Marriott points. It is located about halfway between Ft Lauderdale and Miami, about 12 miles from the Ft Lauderdale airport. We had a one bedroom suite and it had a mini kitchen complete with a dishwasher. They have a pool and a hottub and a complete breakfast. It is located by the Aventura mall and many grocery and liquor stores. Highly recommended and if you like seafood try the Rustic Inn in Ft Lauderdale. The staff was friendly and we were able to do an early checkin after a redeye flight.

• Liked — Location and that it was newly remodeled and the breakfast
  • Disliked — I noticed they charge $75 non-refundable fee for a pet. Kind of a rip off.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

The Residence Inn is a typical Residence Inn once you walk through the doors. What makes this hotel special is location location location! Our friends stayed across the street at the Turnberry and were shocked at their price tag compared to ours. It's located walking distance to the Aventura Mall and the surrounding area is gorgeous. The hotel staff seemed uninformed. First the guest relations advised that our room would be ready at 2:30pm. When we arrived at 3pm our room was not ready, but she rectified it by upgrading us to a 2 bedroom. The act of getting ice was daunting. We were told there was a happy hour but when we went to enjoy, we were told they don't have happy hour on Saturdays. My shower on Sunday took awhile to get hot water. The pool area is uneventful and there are much more attractive backyard pools in Florida. The breakfast was satisfactory and the area was well kept as diners moved on. If you decide to head out for a walk or jog, the area is gorgeous for that. Be careful, though, as the locals seem to think they can take over the entire sidewalk and not move over when approaching.

• Liked — Price and Location
  • Disliked — No hot water on Sunday morning
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

I stayed here on a recent trip to the Miami area. It was very centrally located between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, which is why I picked it in the first place.

My room was nice (actual suite with a door between the living area and the sleeping area) and I was right next to the laundry room, which was convenient as this was a longer trip than I originally packed for.

The evening social food was fine, with the exception of the "Manager's Toast" which only provided cheese and crackers. However, the reasonably priced market had a nice selection of frozen entrees that were pretty good.

The pool area was very clean and comfortable, and check-in / check-out was quick and easy.

This will become my new home in South Florida as I am there for several days at a time, several days per month.

IMPORTANT - If you are staying here on business, allow 15 minutes extra getting out to I-95 in the morning. The traffic from the hotel to the interstate goes through a residential section and there is a school speed zone.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere, clean hotel, outstanding staff
  • Disliked — None...very nice stay.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

This is an older hotel, but surprisingly well maintained. The rooms are very clean, and the bathrooms did not have mildew or any awful smells. The overall stay was comfortable.

My wife and I checked in early, and we were hungry after our long flight in to Miami. We sat in their restaurant and were surprised it was a complementary breakfast buffet. It was one of the best surprises on our trip. The food was not the best quality, especially the eggs, but the variety was excellent. We made our own belgian waffles and had a relaxing breakfast each day we were there.

We would stay their again.

Stayed August 2008
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Residence Inn - Aventura - visting my mother in the area. First I want to say that for the price - this property cannot be beat. I had a 2-bedroom suite, which worked wonderfully for my daughter and myself and being close to the hugh mall was great to run over and not spend a lot of time in traffic as the area is quite busy.
This area is quite upscale and the other option - The Turnberry Resort across the street is expensive and fine if you need a resort - but if you are visiting relatives like we were this property works great.
The front desk staff is efficient and courteous and were very helpful when I needed to rent a car at the last minute and were able to have the Hertz people pick me up within an hour of placing the call.
The rooms were very clean but overall I think the property is due for a renovation and updating. I just returned from another Residence Inn which had been updated and the difference was quite noticeable.
The breakfast room - could and should be enlarged as it gets quite crowded and noisy and it is difficult for the staff to get around the people and tidy up.
The pool area faces the parking lot - not terribly attractive - but keep in mind this is not a resort and you are not paying resort prices - so for a quick swim or an hour or so sitting outside it is really fine.
The free internet is out of the way and appears to work fine for the few people that need it.
Across the street is a great walking -running avenue - busy with local residents and very welcoming in the morning to start your day.
All in all - this property works for business and people not looking to stay on site during the day. I will definately stay again when visiting my mother for the convenience and price.
The hotel is close to all highways without the feel of being on a highway.

• Liked — Value, staff and location
  • Disliked — Needs updating
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn Miami Aventura Mall? Share your experiences!