“Beautiful hotel....okay service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 hotels in Aventura
Miami, Florida
“Beautiful hotel....okay service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel was very nice, my room was huge and the resort kind of gives you an "away from home feeling." But I called for several things to be sent to my room (like a simple toothbrush) and didn't get someone over until an hr later. I ended up buying what I needed at the shop.
I think service can definitely be improved but the hotel and the rooms are very nice.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Quality & Training at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Turnberry Isle Miami. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you felt at home on our property, which is always a wonderful thing to hear. We are sorry to hear about the delay in service for your requested items, and I will most definitely look into how to prevent this from occurring in the future.

702 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'm going to start by saying this place is massive property with many good staff and lots of bad. This place is far from everything. On the website it states Aventura Miami and that is true lovely neighborhood but you are about 50 mins from south beach , Lincoln rd. and so on. They don't have a beach but a shuttle that runs to and from the hotel and the beach is about 20-30 min depending on traffic. If you wanted to eat breakfast at 11 am , you can't that's what we were told there is a gap in the restaurant until 11:45 am when they start serving lunch. We where not given any other option. This happen on Sunday, on Saturday we were their at 8:30am we were seated by a man in suit after I gave him our name and room number , was never address by name and never sow a waiter to explain to us how things worked, so we just go on line and start with the buffet. Typical buffet nothing crazy the cooks were on the money with making eggs the way I like them . We seat down and still no waiter to get us coffee or juice by this time all the waiters are looking at us but no one approaches for about 10 mins we ate and could have walked out. I call over a waiter asked for coffee and our check. He asked if we had the continental breakfast or buffet , I say we had eggs so I guess that's buffet he brings us the coffee our check and an apology that no one helped us with coffee. Friday night we had a great meal at the steak house on property, very good except for the garlic mash that was terrible but the meat was good, service on the other hand was terrible our waiter was the worst I had in a long time, very very pushy!! He was pushing some wine for about $150 which we ended purchasing something double that price put someone who wasn't in our position would have felt pressure and he did the same with the food. We started to ignore him because he was becoming very annoying , so we needed to block him out. The last straw was when we asked for the check and told him we would pay by cash and then changed our mind to put it on our room bill, he went on to say it would be easier for him if it was cash! We looked at each other and said its easier for us to put it on our room. He is lucky that 18% was already include because he was not worth it!!!!! The girl at the front desk was a nice girl but def. needs more training ! Couldn't get the bill right another long story don't have the time. You need a taxi or a car just for the simplest things, Can not walk anywhere in this neighborhood so make sure you expense that. Needs a lot of work before you see me here again! Didn't not enjoy myself! The rooms were nice but I'm not staying in my room for the whole trip nor did I play golf the whole trip. The hotel has possibilities you need to hire spotters to come in and review every part, that's free advice! Brayant the concierge was helpful and followed through . Wanted to end with a positive!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Quality & Training at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your in-depth review of your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear about the parts of your stay that were enjoyable, but I will definitely follow up to determine the reasons behind the lapses in service that you experienced.

I have sent you a message privately so we can best discuss your experiences further, and I thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay at Turnberry Isle.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at Turnberry Isle. This is a very nice property, but I have one major complaint. We booked through American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts which provide a 4 pm check-out GUARANTEED. Upon arrival to our room, I read a "welcome" card from the management of the hotel listing the benefits provided to Amex Platinum cardholders : the card lumped together certain benefits that are based on availability and the guaranteed 4pm check-out on one line, and put in parenthesis next to the benefits (upon availability). I was puzzled as to how a GUARANTEED check-out could be "upon availability". It's either guaranteed or it's not. The next morning, I went to the reception desk and told them that they should not have the words "upon availability" after the words "guaranteed 4 pm check out". Sure enough, the employee at the reception desk apologized and gave us two NEW card keys to our room and assured us that the cards would allow us access to our room till 4 pm (which means that they were in fact not going to honor the 4:00 pm check-out if I had not inquired). Later on, we went to our spa appointments and when we got back to our room at 3:45 pm, the room was locked and we could not get in. We asked a member of the cleaning crew (who was in the hallway) to open the door for us, but he said he was unable to do so and called security to open the door for us. We waited 10 minutes for "security" to come to the rescue. Finally, I went back to the reception desk and found another reception desk employee. I told him this was very unprofessional and even unethical for the hotel to try to get out of their commitment for a 4pm late checkout. If Turnberry Isle does not wish to participate in Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts, they should just get out of the program. The guy at the reception desk did not seem too embarrassed about what had happened, but nevertheless he apologized and gave me yet another card key to my room.
This is totally unacceptable!
Also, don't bother calling the parking attendant from your room to have your car pulled up for you. They won't do anything until you get downstairs and ask the parking attendant in person. Then, the latter will ask one of the guys to go get your car. This happened twice. If they don't want to pull up cars prior to the guests getting downstairs, they should say so.
Finally, I think a good word of advice for the management of Turnberry Isle is that when they are giving a room upgrade to a guest, they should ask the guest if they are ok if the upgraded room shares a balcony with the room next door. They put us in a room that connected to the room next door and that shared a balcony. We could see the interior of the room next door. No privacy. Fortunately, the guests next door did not decide to go out of on the balcony at the time as we did. It would have been an uncomfortable situation.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Turnberry Isle Miami with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and is an invaluable tool for us to ensure that we are doing everything possible to satisfy the needs of our guests.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with check-out times, and I would like to look into this in further detail. I have sent you a message privately with hopes that we can connect and discuss your experience.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I was staying here for a conference with my company. From check-in to dinner; service seemed to be a priority. The room was clean, comfortable,spacious & gorgeous. Very similar to the Ritz-Carlton/Four Seasons caliber room types.
Unfortunately I did not have time to play golf; but I promised myself that I will be back with my husband to enjoy the courses. The view from my room of the course was gorgeous!
Convenience & proximity to the Ft.Lauderdale airport is key - just 20 mins.
Perfect for a weekend getaway from Boston! I'll be back!

• Stayed November 2013
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Quality & Training at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Deena,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your Turnberry Isle Miami experience with us. We strive to deliver an unparalleled experience, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon, and hope that you are able to enjoy our golf courses in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Wonderful looking hotel with nice pool and 2 top notch golf courses. The service at this hotel needs a TON of work. One day our rooms were not cleaned and towels replaced so we couldn't shower that day.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Quality & Training at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
We appreciate you letting us know about your experience at Turnberry Isle Miami as your feedback is valuable to us. We have privately messaged you in order to learn more from your stay and so we can also address your concerns with appropriate team members. Thank you.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I really, really wanted to love this resort. The rooms are fantastic with luxury linens, and the property itself (and especially pool area) are breathtaking. However, there is something else breathtaking here, as well—the consistently horrendous service. It was so bad that I had to speak to the manager. She was sympathetic, but it's not like you can overhaul an entire staff with one phone call. Unfortunately, that is really what needs to happen here. There was not one area where we did not experience complete incompetence the level of which I have never encountered before. This includes front desk, concierge, Cascata and Laguna Grill, front desk of the spa, and housekeeping. My husband and I kept joking that we must be on some sort of reality show with all the mishaps. Corporate needs to clean house here in a big way.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Turnberry-Mgmt, Manager at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
I am incredibly sorry to hear about your recent experiences during your stay with us. Although I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the property and rooms, there is no excuse for any lapse in the quality of our staff's commitment to consistent, excellent service. I have reached out privately in the hopes that I can speak with you further about your experience, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Paige Koerbel
Managing Director, Turnberry Isle Miami
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

After traveling ALL DAY to attend a conference here, I was sooo tired, and starving! When I arrived at the hotel I was told they were looking for the "best available room"...ten minutes later they admitted the only room was across the street!! They had oversold the hotel, and had no room for me. This was after I received nine - Im NOT exaggerating - NINE email confirmations from them. I realize that overbooking happens sometimes, but they moved me to a 2 star hotel, that was just gross. Since I was starving, I asked for room service, they said to try dominos pizza bc they have no food. When i finally moved to Turnberry, they gave me some fruit to make up for the inconvenience they caused. Not impressed. After staying here, the rooms are nice, everything looks pretty, but the service isnt great and little things dont work (remote, lights, air, etc.) I tried to order from the late night menu in my room, but then when i called they said they dont do late night room service anymore, so I was on my own. It has been one problem after another! Overall it was a rough experience and I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: the jasmine rooms are more expensive, they are a litlle bigger but not sure its worth the $$