“Excellent hotel and order the Salade Nicoise for room service” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Aventura
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manhattan
“Excellent hotel and order the Salade Nicoise for room service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stay at this hotel every year for a conference and it is consistently excellent. My wife and I were there over the last few days and enjoyed it as usual (very nice rooms, well laid out bathrooms, nice balconies). My wife ordered the Salad Nicoise for in-room dining and was blown away with how good it was. The tuna was perfectly seared and it had been covered with piementon (smokey spanish paprika), instead of green beans there was asparagus, small potatoes (warm), perfectly dressed greens. Went perfectly with a white wine spritzer. So good we ordered a second on our departure day and I got to try it - excellent.

Couple of small points that cause me to rate it less than 5^ (I'ld give it 4.8):
1) at the conference area - avoid the coffee
2) I took my morning coffee from the espresso bar in the center lounge. I ordered an Americano which was good one day but bad the next - took it back and learning that the server had added coffee to the espresso shot - that's why it tasted terrible - had it remade at it was fine

Room Tip: top floors have extra high ceilings
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Polish first
Douglas, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We loved Turnberry Isle. The accomodations were clean, modern and spacious. The kids pool kept our 5 year old busy all day- water slide, lazy river, large pool with plenty of room for all the kids, toddler wading area/sand box and large hot tub. Pool attendants were attentive, bringing fresh towels, moving umbrellas, there were plenty of chairs. There was poolside service for drinks and lunch. Very family oriented. The restaurants were top notch, although very pricey ($5 for a kids chocolate milk)- The staff was courteous and helpful, although it did take 1 hr to get an extra blanket for my daughter. We also travelled with a 6 week old, they provided a crib, diaper pail and baby toiletries. My 5 year old spent one morning in the kids connection and loved it- they did arts/crafts, watched a movie and picked shells on the beach.
My only disappointment was the beach- it was a short shuttle ride to the beach- the beach was very windy, strong waves. Turnberry Isle only owned a very small piece of beachfront. It took 20 minutes for the attendant to put up an umbrella for us. I wouldn't go there if you are looking for a great beach experience, but lounging poolside was our goal, and we left very pleased and look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Turnberry-Mgmt, General Manager at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing Turnberry Isle Miami for your recent family vacation and for taking the time to post a review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and our world-class amenities including our Laguna Pool and kids program. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Best Regards,
Douglas Hustad
Managing Director
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Despite the beautiful surroundings, a stay at this resort is disappointing, There are issues with check-in, room quality , bell service and staff service levels. There seems to be a lack of focus on the customer experience. After waiting 45 minutes for a cab at the entrance i finally had enough. My requests to speak to a manager went unanswered. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone who values good service.

• Stayed February 2012
Turnberry-Mgmt, Director of Rooms Division at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
We’re disappointed to learn that your stay was less than stellar and can assure you that we’ve addressed your comments with our team. As we’re always looking for ways to improve, we would like the opportunity to discuss your experience further with you and have therefore sent you a private message in the hopes we may connect.

Best Regards,
Adolfo Bolanos
Director of Rooms Division
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I and our nine year old son had a wonderful stay at the Turnberry. I am confused as to why several reviewers had trouble with management. The staff here went out of there way to be thoughtful and accomodating during our entire time at the resort. Elle at the front desk made sure we were happy with our room and had us look at several possible room choices. I recommend the Jasmine building which is nearest to the Laguna pool. We had a deluxe golf view room which was over 700 sq. foot, had a lovely contemporary decor, a spacious marble bathroom and french doors leading out to a small terrace. The finishes in the room were all of high quality as was the furniture and bedding. We never had any problem with housekeeping and our room was spotlessly cleaned twice a day. The grounds were meticously kept and we had a wonderful time at the Laguna Pool which is huge and has a waterslide and a lazy river. The staff at the pool couldn't have been nicer and a shout out to Joseph who was so warm and friendly. My son took tennis lessons from Youlian who was terrific and really knows how to coach kids. We had dinner at the Bourbon Steak house one night in the main room and four nights in the club room which serves lighter fare. The food was beyond fantastic. We also enjoyed the Cascadia Grill for breakfast and lunch where Brigitte and Daniel were terrific waiters. I can't say enough about the staff. The only downside I would have to say is the Ocean Beach Club which is due for some renovation and looks a little tired. All in all, would highly recommend.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My daughters and i just arrived home from The Turnberry Isle Resort this week. We stayed 6 nights. Our room was very large and well appointed, however the location was odd in that we seemed to be in the "business" wing of the hotel (Magnolia). We walked by conference rooms and many people dressed in work attire. It appeared other wings were filled with leisure guests. Our room was quiet and we had a beautiful view of the golf course. Housekeeping was top notch.

The resort style pool with the water slide was lovely, but the lounge chair pads are worn and stained and desperately need replacing even though attendents sometimes would dress the chairs for their guests with towels before sitting down. This happened sometimes and not other times, service was not consistent by the pool area. During the entire stay my girls and I never got asked if we would like to order drinks or food by the pool.

The lagoon restaurant by the pool was excellent. The food was delicious and the service outstanding. Price for lunch was $$$ but exactly inline for upscale hotel prices. Lunch for the three of us was around $70 US.

The breakfast options were great as you had a choice of a grab and go cafe or a sit down buffet. Both choices were excellent.

The private Beach Club was a big dissappointment. No one bothered to mention that there was a condo being builit right in front of the beach area where lounge chairs are set up for Turnberry guests. Needless to say, my daughters and I ventured out on the shuttle bus to get there and turn around to come back to the hotel. Their was a crane working on the beach that was so loud. We asked the beach attendant if we could move further down the beach away from the noise but he informed me that this was the designated area for Turnberry guests and he wasn't aloud to move away from that area. Additionally, no one mentioned that the complimentary shuttle makes a stop at the mall on the way to pick people up, a bit annoying.

On the website, they advertise Pilates classes....well, no longer. When I inquired they said they don't have them anymore. The website I guess needs to be updated with this information as I was looking forward to participating in these classes. The fitness center is really very nice and lots of great equipment however the temperature is a bit warm in the cardio area but could be resolved with some fans.

All and all we enjoyed the hotel. The staff are pleasant and try hard to please. Hotel needs a little fine tuning but with some work it will improve. It met my expectations. It wasn't the Four Seasons and once you've stayed at a Four Seasons, it's hard to find anything better! We received a decent rate at the Turnberry and I would stay again if we received a good rate in the future.

Room Tip: Magnolia wing is quiet and away from everything. Good choice for light sleepers.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay at Turnberry Isle. I am a 40 something former management consultant with an MBA from the University of Chicago. My husband and I love luxury travel….. it’s our hobby. In the last year, we’ve stayed at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona, the Setai in NYC and Miami, the Viceroy Anguilla, the Peninsula Chicago, the St. Regis San Francisco… and many more.

Turnberry Isle is a lovely property and we’re tough critics. But the current owners are running it an a wing and a prayer. It was quite nearly chaos when we were there over President’s Day weekend. I enjoy fine hotels and, given my background, I enjoy hotels that are well run. I don’t know who is running this hotel, but it’s a shame it’s being so poorly managed. I have a lot of experience staying at Fairmonts and I don’t doubt they deserved to be kicked out, but that doesn’t mean the current owners can do a better job running it themselves. They need to hire someone. Quickly. I always do my research and I read all the trip advisor reviews before booking. Having stayed there and spent 5 full days on property, I am confident that the effusively positive reviews below were written by employees, owners or country club members. They are just completely incongruent with what I experienced and with what I saw others experiencing. I only visited the front desk 3 times and 2 of those times I found guests who were nearly hysterical with frustration. It wasn’t just me.

I’ll give you a quick run down….and then you can read more if you want more info:

Pros:
-It’s a beautiful property
-Rooms are well appointed, recently redone and large. We enjoyed the Jasmine Building, which is closest to the Lagoon pool and great for families
-Rooms with 2 queens size beds also have a pull out couch (a rarity in hotels) meaning a larger family can be comfortable
-With the lazy river and waterslide, the hotel appeals to kids and adults alike. I find it rare that the kids and I like the same hotel. Usually if they like it, I hate it.
-Food, while expensive, was very good
-The staff, while woefully inadequate, was very nice and tried hard
-The lagoon pool was great. The kids loved the waterslide and lazy river and the chairs were luxurious (loved the pods). Chairs were plentiful, even when busy.

Cons:
-Overall lack of management control evidenced by weeping guests at the front desk did not lend confidence….. our specific issues included:
-No turndown service when requested and despite multiple requests
-Housekeeping service that arrived as late as 5:45pm to begin cleaning
-Mandatory ($30) valet parking that lost our car and couldn’t find it for nearly an hour
-Reservations department in NYC that couldn’t locate our reservation
-“Confirmed” upgrade that was not honored
-No pool service and general poor food service
-Service items (cups, plates) floating in the pool and general debris

Listen….. I could write 2000 words about all these issues and I hate to go on and on. It was really chaos. Maybe I’ll just share a few vignettes. (and warnings)

They have outsourced reservations to a company in NYC that can take reservations but doesn’t have access to see all the reservations in their database. Sometimes when you call the 800 number you get in-house res. Sometimes you get NYC. We got Medjine, who is inhouse. She promised us a confirmed upgrade. We received an email confirmation. Our friends did not. Our friends called back to confirm and got NYC. They couldn’t find the res because they can’t see the whole system. They also don’t have a phone number to reach anyone “in house”. Our friends had to call about 10 times to resolve this. When we arrived the front desk manager informed us that Medjine didn’t have the authority to offer a “confirmed” upgrade. I’ve never encountered this situation. The front desk was disavowing the commitment made by reservations. Awkward and dishonest. We ended up getting the upgrade. Our friends did not. I don’t think there was malice involved. They were overbooked. Just chaos.

We requested turndown service about 10 times. We wanted them to pull out the sofa bed and replace towels. This is important to me at a pool resort where you shower before dinner. They claimed to offer this service (upon request). (To me, if you don’t offer turndown service de facto – you are not a 5 star resort). We even spoke to Juana, a housekeeping manager. She gasped in shock and said, “We WILL exceed your expectations from this point (day 2) forward and you will have turndown every day.” We never had turndown one time after that. As a former consultant, that’s when I ask myself…. What does Juana do with her days? Does she go home at 3:30? Did she tell anyone about our request after effusively promising to exceed our expectations? Who dropped this particular ball?

We opened and made the sofa bed every night with sheets we stole from the other beds… 5 star? Not in your wildest dreams. Hire a management company.

We sat down to lunch one day at the Lagoon Pool restaurant (day 3). The table was set with plastic silverware. We asked for the normal (metal) silverware. The server said, “we had a big party on the lawn last night and we haven’t gotten our silverware back yet.” My friend and I laughed so hard. It was a party for Restaurant Week. Did they let them take the silverware home? It had been nearly 18 hours since the party….not enough time to wash it? And it’s a big resort…do you really have to steal silverware from your restaurants to throw a party? Hire a management company.

And clean up the pool. Kids were surfing on the lunch trays. They had dumped the food on the side of the pool. The nasty food lay by the side of the pool all day (til I left at 5pm). Weird because there are ample pool boys (men) who pick up your towels the minute you drop them. However, they won’t touch the food service items. And the food service staff is always short staffed so they don’t even attempt to collect food service items. By the end of the day the pool is nasty. And no food service at the pool, so be prepared to go to the bar for your own drinks. With 18% gratuity included in the bill. Which, as a consultant, always bothers me. Drinks cost $14 each. Servers cost less than that per hour. A server only needs to sell a drink or two per hour to pay for themselves. Hire 10 more servers and improve the guest experience.

At the end of the day….

I’m a tough critic and I would probably return. It’s nice property and works well for families. And the food is good, which is a big plus. But they need to fix their management problem before it becomes a huge issue. This can’t continue. Companies won’t continue to book conferences here. People won’t continue to make reservations if they call the 800 number and encounter the chaos that we encountered. Hire a management company.

(by the way, it just occurred to me, after re-reading my review, that I should say….I do not work for a management company ;) I just really like well run hotels and really hate poorly run ones. Hope this is helpful!)

Room Tip: Orchid and Hacienda were the original buildings. Jasmine and Magnolia are newer. Orchid was renova...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is our family's third stay here, and our first since fairmont management is gone. In my opinion, they'd be best off getting Fairmont back, quickly. Service has gone downhill across the board from valet to the restaurants. The only static service was at the pool where all of the staff has remained and still do a very good job taking care of the needs of the guest. Our room this trip is right over some sort of staging area and so we wake every morning to the sound of large trucks, and it is also the last thing we hear at night.

Housekeeping completely missed cleaning our room one day for a reason unknown to us as we were out at the pool past 4 pm. It was pretty disappointing that they also ran out of kcups for the in-room coffee maker so that we had only decaf coffee for two days. I am a coffee drinker and like the coffeemaker in the mornings when i don't feel like running Down to the lobby in my pajamas. The iron and hairdryer and ironing board could use updating, too.

We paid for our kids to have golf lessons one afternoon and the instructor, Sean, was very good with the kids. They enjoyed it very much. They originally had a lesson with Hiro scheduled, and were excited to see him again this year, but apparently somebody better came along who was paying for a playing lesson so we got Sean, which was fine. They called us an hour before the lesson to let us know, though, which might have been an issue for us if we only wanted Hiro. We would have basically wasted the day away waiting for Hiro, who cancelled.

We also paid for tennis lessons for the kids with Julian, at the pro shop. It was pricey, for sure (110$ plus tip), but worth the money. He was good with the kids and seemed like a nice guy.

This trip for the first time We used the day camp service (kid Connection) for the kids for half a day. we were told to just show up for the session at 9 in the morning. We showed up at 8:45 to be safe. At 9:05 there was no sign of life inside the room. I called the phone number listed on the door and it sounded like I had woken somebody up. She told me she would call the guy who was supposed to be there and then get back to me. I am not sure what happened there, but she called m e back and he arrived, running, at around 9:15. We got the kids settled in and I specifically told the counselor that since my kids were sunburned i did not want them going out in the sun. Well, it is a good thing I put sunblock on my kids anyway because they spent most of the morning in the scorching 90 degree sun on the beach. The counselors did not put any sunblock on any of the kids, either. Very disappointing. I particularly am annoyed because my gut told me that I was wrong for leaving my kids in the care of people whose only question was about food allergies. Oh well, my fault for not trusting my gut, but we won't do the camp again, even though i saw some Fun stuff in the camp room for the kids to play with and create.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay again, and will probably be back next year. I would love to see the name Fairmont back in front of Turnberry isle again. Some things are just best left to the pros..

Room Tip: Not in magnolia, which is where we are this trip over the staging area. We stayed in orchid and magn...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!