“great golf trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Aventura
atlanta
“great golf trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

my college friends...we enrolled together at ga tech in 1968...stayed at this resort for a golf reunion trip in november. i can't say enough positive things about this place; the golf courses were superb as is the resort in general. also, don't miss joe's stone crabs or gloria estefan's restaurant, lario's, on ocean drive in miami beach.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Polish first
Santa Fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed here recently on a business trip. The room was gorgeous with one of the nicest bathroom's I've seen in a hotel...marble everywhere, deluxe shower with two showerheads, a seperate seating area with large mirror, and a jetted tub with a small flatscreen tv. The bed and linens were very comfy and the lanai overlooking the golf course was a nice touch. The main restaurant had excellent service but a rather pricey breakfast buffet of $25/pp...too much in my opinion for the food offered. The dinner club is gorgeous and the service was excellent but the prices are steep and the food only so-so. The property has a super pool area and large outdoor hot tub but it closed at 7 p.m. The fitness center was also top notch, but again had very limited hours. For a business hotel, 24-hour fitness center hours are a must.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor as I belive the ground floor rooms were actually meeting rooms conv...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Room 2109.
Shower either scalding hot or off.
No soap dish in shower so soap had to be placed on floor.
No toilet paper holder so toilet paper left on vanity.
Cheap.
I will never return.

Room Tip: Do not allow them to put you in the Orchid. Old, outdated and terrible.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

During my stay, the hotel lost a business suit I had sent for dry cleaning. You would think that at a luxury resort like this, they would have immediately acknowledged their fault and refunded the amount of the loss, only about $800. The hoops they made me jump through -- even just to find out who is actually responsible for anything at all in this hotel -- were unlike anything I've ever experienced. My entire stay consisted of waiting for people to call me back, who never did, and repeating the story over and over and over again to each new person who pushed the responsibility onto someone else. And this continued for weeks after I left the hotel. I travel extensively for business all over the world, and I can say I've never been so poorly treated or had the realization that management of a hotel is so contemptuous of their guests. The end of the story is that I was "offered" $240 in exchange for dropping any claim against them. I would warn anyone staying here to just be aware that you will not be considered a "valued guest" at this resort.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Rachel P, Rooms Division Director at Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Max, I want to extend our sincerest apologies for the frustrations you experienced during your stay at Turnberry Isle. As we're always looking for ways to improve our service, I would truly enjoy the opportunity to discuss this further with you and have messaged you privately so we can discuss. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Adolfo Bolanos
Rooms Division Director
IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I'm not an expert at this type of resort- on a vacation, I would never spend this much just for a hotel room, no matter how nice. This was a nice place to stay, but besides the room cost, it seems as if everything else was very expensive. (Examples- at the restaurants an 8 oz bottle of Coke is $4, and each one you drink is another $4. The room service menu has a bagel with cream cheese that is $8 and a banana is $3. On top of that, there is the typical room service charge of an additional 20%, plus a $4.50 delivery fee, plus Florida sales tax.) I heard the overnight charge to park a car was $30, but I did not have a car there. I talked to several people who said the golf course was alright, but not worth a $250 greens fee.

The service could stand to be betetr. They took my bags when I arrived then just sat them there and left. I eneded up lated just going down and carrying them up to the room myself because I couldn't find anyone to help. What I did not like the most was the front desk telling me that I would not be able to get a cab to the airport and that I should use their exclusive shuttle service that would take me to the airport for $150. (To the Miami airport, that's about $6/mile.) Instead, I walked outside at 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning and there were several cabs waiting, without me having had to call one. It was disappointing that the resort lied to me just to try to overcharge me one more time before I left.

The room I had was very nice, and plenty big enough, but I could hear EVERYTHING going on in the rooms on either side of mine so privacy is not really available. Outside of the room, you will also hear everyone who goes down the hallways past the rooms.

I stayed here three nights and only saw two families with kids, so this might be a good place if you're looking for a "mostly adults" resort. As I said earlier, this just isn't my type of place to stay though. Then again, if you are the type that travels without a budget, you might like it here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We recently met another couple at the resort for an anniversary weekend. Andrew, the head concierge and the amazing team at Turnberry planned extensively before our arrival and they ensured our visit was perfect. Everything from the AMAZING spa to the terrific golf, we had an excellent trip. We arrived in our room (which was one of the best, if not THE best, we've ever stayed in!) to some chocolate covered strawberries with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate. There is not one thing that we would have changed!

One of the highlights of the trip was our "EXPERIENCE" at Bourbon! WOW!!! Not only was the food amazing, the staff went over the TOP to ensure we had a Five-Star Experience. I would be bankrupt if Bourbon was closer to my house...i'd go there once a week! Best steak I've ever had!

Can't wait to return and we will, next time with our kids! Thank you to the entire team at Turnberry!!!

Room Tip: We had a room in the Jasmine tower and it was great. It was the one closest to the pool.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stayed in late August/early September, just as the last of the Fairmont signs were coming down, and rebranded hotel products stocked and displayed. What we loved:
Aventura Mall within walking distance (although Sawgrass Mills had more to offer to be honest)
Beach club - pleasant, didn't get to use it enough
Swimming pools (loved the lazy river, overall setup was beautiful and quite comfortable)
Cascata Grill (sure, Bourbon Steak is nice, but 3x price for only slightly better food - Cascata Grill punched well above its weight in terms of bang for the buck and comfort)

The rooms were lovely, comfortable, and equipped with a great semi-jacuzzi bathtub, among other amenities. The grounds were immaculate, beautiful and variable and touched with graceful flourishes here and there.

Will return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Turnberry Isle Miami, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!