“Must visit, don't be put off by it's shack appearance” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Takeout
Perth, Scotland
“Must visit, don't be put off by it's shack appearance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

Visited Singleton's when visiting relatives in Jacksonville and I am very glad I did. The waitress was great, we had a large group and she rearranged the entire outside seating to accommodate us. We ordered almost every type of seafood on the menu and it was very fresh and very tasty...cheap too. The view over the river is great and the place is very rustic. Great charm to the place. I will be going back every time I visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Knoxville, Tennessee
“FRESH SEAFOOD!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

My husband and I ate hear because of the reviews. Rustic fish market look inside and out. But the food was the freshest seafood I have ever had. While eating the fish boat docked and the owner went out to get the fish. Loved the view of St. John's river and watching all the boats come in for the evening. Also had fresh fish to purchase to cook at home.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jacksonville, FL
“To get fresher seafood you'll have to catch it yourself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

When they say fresh at Singleton's they don't mean it was fresh when it was frozen. Some will call it rustic. Some will call it a shack. Both are probably right. It's just good food, good service, and a great value.

You can get just about any seafood you want (as long as it's fresh) prepared any way you want. You want fried shrimp ... they have some of the best. You want your scallops blackened .... no problem. You want the Catch of the Day broiled .... no problem.

And the fish dip appetizer is excellent!

And shorts, flip-flops, and t-shirts are just fine!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jacksonville, Florida
“Save some grief & eat at Gene's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I tried the premium grouper. The menu said it could only be prepared steamed or fried, so I tried steamed, and as much as I hate McDonald's, I'd prefer Mac's fish sandwich to this tasteless piece of rubber. The clam chowder was heavily salted, the salad was a wasted effort, and the beer wasn't very cold. Never saw the waitress after she delivered the food until after we had given up on trying to eat. For $40 Gene's Seafood would be a better choice. But then again, so would McD's.

Shelbyville, IL
“I'd travel two days...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

I lived in JAX for six years and ate alot of good seafood but Singleton's is the best, the freshest, my favorite restuarant in the area. The place looks like a dive, probably is, but is family oriented and still has Beck's. The king klip, wahoo, sheepshead... are all fresh and excellent when they have it. Catch of the Day. My wife loves the fried oysters and shimp combo. The place is on the dock overlooking the St. Johns River (it ain't a bay), right next to the Mayport Naval base. We moved from JAX two years ago and this is the one restuarant we would drive two days to enjoy.