“Best Western Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Clearwater
“Best Western Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

We settled into Room 106, only to discover that the bathroom ceiling was leaking into our room! We were promptly moved, with apologies, to Room 101. Unfortunately Room 101 was nearest the lobby, the fitness room and the breakfast serving area, and was therefore very noisy. Additionally, the room did not appear to have been used often, based on its musty smell,lack of towels, lack of a telephone and television remote. We made six trips to the front desk in an effort to find a replacement remote. According to the clerk, the manager would resolve the issue. But, we never saw the manager.

Upon our return from dinner, we inquired as to the breakfast serving hours and were told that breakfast would be served from 6:00 am to 10:00 am.

The following morning, we arrived in the breakfast area at 9:15, only to find that it had been closed at 9:00. The front desk clerk was unsympathetic to the fact that we had been given incorrect information. Her attitude and aplomb only served to solidify our bad review of this hotel.

Needless to say, this was not our best hotel experience. My efforts to obtain a satifactory outcome from the hotel are in limbo.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Bad and misleading information from the front desk clerks.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

When I checked in on Sunday, I received room 105. At the room I found a huge wad of something in the toilet and it was totally stopped up. The phone didn't work so I went back to the desk, they offered to change the room but since I was tired and had a Jacuzzi in the room, I didn't want to give that up. They handed me a plunger and I plunged my own toilet. I also found the phone unplugged and took care of that.
That night I filled the Jacuzzi to have a relaxing soak and it wouldn't work. I couldn't get an answer at the desk so I went there and was told it wasn't rented as a Jacuzzi room. I told them that I should have been informed at check in and asked if this thing was going to electrocute me. The next day I saw maintenance down the hall and they told me it hasn't worked for months. If you have something in the room, you should expect it to work.
Monday night I was working at the desk when all of a sudden the chair collapsed, dumping me in the floor, the plastic leg was cracked and finally given way. I contacted the front desk and the clerk swapped with me. The new chair wasn't much better as it dumped you forward. The following afternoon I mentioned it to the maintenance guys who repaired my original chair and returned it.
Other problems include:
1. The showers are so slow that the water dribbles straight down.
2. When I needed to call the front desk to request a wake up call or other needs, about 80% of the time I had to get dressed and walk to the desk.
3. Every time the housekeepers came in the bedside radio was flashing and had to be reset. Although there were two outlets and the TV was left on the Spanish station.
4. The continental breakfast is about normal, however the sausage gravy tastes like dog food.

I checked out on Wednesday morning.

I would have checked out immediately but I was there on business and would have had to find rooms for the rest of the group. Gold Crown Customer Service doesn’t care or even able to do anything about it.

Long story short – Stay somewhere else.

• Liked — it was very quiet and the bed was comfortable, internet worked without problems
  • Disliked — large number of broken things in the room, desk staff couldn't care less.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bradenton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

I've stayed here often as it is close to the Navy base and the Navy lodge gets booked early when a ship is coming in.

The staff is consistently helpful and nice. Breakfast is basic, but it helps with the kids to feed. The waffles are yummy, lol. Pool is nice.

The rooms are basic, but always clean with a microwave and fridge. The windows on the 2nd floor open and have no screens, which always scares me with the kids. And it is starting to look dated.

Overall, it's a nice place to stay if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep. Clean and easy.

• Stayed June 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Heidelberg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

Motel, about 5-6 years old, however showing some age problems.
Breakfast is limited to basic stuff. Elevator pretty slow.
Room is fine with fridge and microwave, however some small ants crawling thru the air condition into the room (which was on the second floor). Nice pool. I am not sure wether i would choose this motel again.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to BEST WESTERN Mayport Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!