“overpriced faux luxury dump” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates Starting at $199
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Tallahassee, Florida
“overpriced faux luxury dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

We were given 2 doubles for our anniversary weekend when we asked for a king. The "limited ocean view" is a view of the giant air conditioning units. The hotel claims luxury but falls flat. Nice shower heads on a tiny standard tub. Tiny pool filled with kids. Small bar in the lobby with over priced drinks and guests with children traipsing back and forth. You can hear people talking when you walk through the hallway which is not air conditioned! And the mirrored elevators had sweaty back prints on the glass. The sheets were cheap and scratchy. The beds and pillows were hard. And the duvet was not attached to the cover so it constantly got bunched up and slid off the bed. After waking up freezing the third time, we huddled under our bathrobes and tried to get some sleep. The hotel made it impossible to do anything yourself like get something out of the valeted car or get ice and it took 20-40 minutes for the staff to bring anything and everyone expected a tip. There were also a ton of hidden fees and no one told you what was included or even where to find beach towels for the pool. The internet didn't work the entire weekend even though we complained twice a day, every day. The only benefit is all of the reasonably priced restaurants within walking distance. The icing on the cake was our room not being cleaned one day and having to ask twice! This place is horrible! and I would recommend staying anyway but here!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

Very good and warm service, especially when the hotel is not full.
It was quiet enough for a romantic gateaway, but looked like they have plentyful of activities for kids.
The windows do not open, so upgrade to a Balcony room if you expect to stay a bit in your room.
The restaurant is just OK, you can get better food in some of the restaurants nearby.
My recommandation is to go off season or during the week, when there is less noise in the corridor and better service.

Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

We are former Atlantic Aeach residents and returned to the area for an anniversary getaway, We were totally impressed with the physical tranformation of the old Sea Turtle Inn, as well as the exemplary service from the entire staff..

The only (slight) disapointment was that we were not aware that the restuarant has a dress code, and I had not packed appropriately for our overnight stay. Next time I will be prepared.

It didn't spoil our stay at all as we had a great meal across the street at Ragtime dressed in shorts and flip-flops!

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Everything was great except for one particular situation we encountered.
The night of our honeymoon we left to walk on the beach. While we were gone, a housekeeper came into our rooms for turn-down service. After she left, our wedding bottle of champagne was gone. It had been opened and two small glasses were poured for our wedding toast. It was placed back in a corner of the desk with several things around it so that it would not be mistaken for trash. My husband and I were very disappointed. It was a bottle of Dom Perignon 2000 vintage brut champagne. The bottle cost more than we paid for the room that night. It was something very special that we wanted to save forever.
Upon mentioning this to the front desk, we did not ever receive an apology. We received a "Well she must have thought it was trash".
I don't know or care if she took it or tossed it. We should have been told that someone was going to look for it, at least.
I know that this is a little thing and probably wouldn't be a big deal to other people, but throwing away something so memorable and valuable to us for our big day really outweighed the other qualities of the hotel. I was never offered any sort of consolation, which is why two years later I still associate One Ocean Resort with the hotel who threw away my wedding champagne rather than the location of my honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
OneOceanMgmt, Public Relations Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
We are sincerely apologize that such a valuable and sentimental item was discarded from your room without your permission. Please know that since your stay, which took place during the first month the resort was open, we have fine tuned our operations to ensure nothing of this sort happens again. Thank you for your constructive feedback and we hope that we have the opportunity to replace your unfortunate resort experience with a positive one in the future.

The One Ocean Team
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Air conditioner didn't work in the room, so on a day when its in the mid to upper 80s, the room stayed around 78 even at night (speaking with others on the elevators, they also had that same issue). Wish they would get rid of the mandatory valet. I am already paying a parking fee and the valets expect a tip for driving my car 40 yards.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
OneOceanMgmt, Public Relations Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
We apologize that you were affected by the technical difficulties of the air conditioning system during your stay. Please know that we strive to make each guest's stay as comfortable as possible and have fixed the problem. We also appreciate the constructive feedback regarding the limited parking situation in Atlantic Beach. We hope you choose to visit us again soon, and that we can exceed your expectations during your next stay.

The One Ocean Team
Homosassa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

This trip was a business trip for a nursing conference. The rooms were perfect, the beds luxurious, amenities were included in the room price. The experience was much like being on a luxurious cruise where friendly, helpful staff abound to meet one's every need. The ocean view was beautiful, the room was plush beyond belief, the fitness center was clean and available 24-hours (I used it at 3 am).

The thing that took this conference visit over the top was the attitude of the staff. They were friendly, available, and met my needs before I was even aware that I had a need. I have traveled and stayed in many nice hotels, I have to say, this was the best I have ever experienced. I will be going back soon for a romantic getaway at this facility with my husband, I can't wait..

The conference facilities and staff were just as luxurious and perfect as everything else about this stay! The prices were all inclusive in the rooms, so one was not constantly charged $10 for this or $5 for that. Even the snacks in the fridge and sodas were included.

For the services, staff and amenities provided this was well worth the room price which was not at all outrageous. I recommend that you go as often as you can, I sure plan to.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
jeremyzuber, Guest Services Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you very much for your gracious review of One Ocean Resort, Hotel & Spa! The Associates of One Ocean take great pride in offering the most elegant, intuitive, and authentic service possible, and we certainly look forward to hosting you and your husband for your romantic getaway. Whether it is for business or leisure, we firmly believe that every guest experience is special, and we will do our utmost to make your visit a memorable one.

Warm Regards,

Jeremy Zuber
Guest Services Manager
Valdosta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

The minute we drove up, I knew we were in for a fantastic stay. We drove up to the Valet and had people in suits taking out our luggage and showing us to our room! We never even went to the desk (I did have a reservation so they already had my info). As we were walking in to the hotel, we were told about all the amenities and we walked through a very beautiful foyer with plenty of comfy couches to chill on after you get your drinks at the bar- which is located right in the foyer! We thought this was a bit strange at first but after we visited it the first time, we agreed it was a very smart place to have it. We were right in the middle of it all. People coming in and out of the hotel and the bartender had many stories that added to the experience.
Our room was awesome. Decorated and super clean. We got a oceanfront room with a balcony and a king bed. It also had a lounger chair, a desk, a dresser and a 42' flat screen TV. Attention to detail is obvious- a light automatically turns on when you open the closet for starters. The bathroom has a tiled walk-in shower with TWO shower heads! The shampoo, bath gel, etc are awesome and I chose to use them over the things I had packed. (That's a first.) The one con is the bathroom is really tight. You have to close the door to the bathroom to open the shower door. And although I noticed, it didn't bother me. My husband mentioned it too, I think it bothered him...
After we got up to our room, the gentleman who brought our bags up informed us we would have another visitor. Our Docent. Docent=Personal Luxury Assistant! They will help you with anything. They even steam your garments for free! (We did not use that service) I am not sure how the tipping is supposed to go for a person like this but it was worth the tip to have someone cater to our every whim and answer every question.
I sent my husband for a massage at the spa located right in the hotel. He said you should definitely go before your appointment and take advantage of all the extras they offer. Free wine, champagne, etc massaging showers and lounge chairs facing floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the ocean are just a few extras. He said the massage was great too and tried to get me to go the next morning. (But it was HIS birthday.)
We ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel- Azurea. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes! They start with a basket of different kinds of bread and 4 types of spreads/dips for you to try with the bread. We ordered the Blue Crab Cakes as an appetizer and all we could say to each other was, "Wow!" We both ordered fish since everything is fresh and the Amber Jack was heaven. It is hard to tell what comes with it since they list all the sides as al carte. We ordered sides and the fish actually came with a side. Oops! But the sides we ordered al carte, were huge portions! One side can feed 2 people, no problem. When we came back to the room, we had a plate of fresh fruit and a note thanking us for coming. (Again, attention to detail...this hotel is all about your experience.)
We spent the next day by the pool, listening to the waves from the beach just a few feet away. The pool is surrounded by comfy chairs, couches and "beds" (just a big cushion on a frame.) There is a bar and grill type place where the pool is but we were there early and the grill didn't open until 11am.
The location of the hotel is another plus. You can walk to several other cafes, restaurants and bars. Pete's Bar (oldest bar), RagTime (Cajun food and microbrewery) are just a couple. There is also a cigar bar, Italian and Japanese restaurants too. And a short drive down the road has Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Carraba's, and a lot of other places.
I can't say enough about how great this place was for the money. I booked a package deal that included some spa credit and free valet (normally costs $15) and free resort fee (normally $25). I suggest doing this as it was much more cost efficient and didn't make you stay multiple days. I know they change their deals monthly so I look forward to booking another one for our return trip we are already planning!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!