“Sorry... Bedbugs” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Arcadia
Orlando, Florida
“Sorry... Bedbugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I am sorry I took so long to do my review. I hope no one suffered needlessly because of my delay. I do not normally do negative reviews, but feel it is only right to warn people about bedbugs. I do not expect much when I stay in a room of this sort. I have to draw the line at bugs, however. I have never really experienced them before and as it turns out, I am highly allergic and have been living through hell because of it. We were in room 124 and were told that it would be closed for 2 weeks because of the bedbugs. On the second evening of our stay, we discovered the bedbugs in the seam of the skirt. There was more than one generation there and while I understand that bedbugs can be anywhere, the signs were there and obvious and there was really no excuse for it. The guy from the office came in and changed the skirt, sheets, etc. and appeared concerned, but I was already bitten with what turned out to be over a dozen bites. There were also cockroaches in the room. The location was convenient to the Canoe Outpost and we are a little bummed that we can't stay there again since it is the most reasonably-priced of the 3 hotels in Arcadia. I am now somewhat afraid that some of the bedbugs came home with me and all I can do is wait. I am not looking to ruin someone's business with a negative review, but I do not want ANYONE to needlessly suffer as I have. I would also invite the owner / management to respond with details of the steps they took to solve the bedbug / cockroach problem. I am not really saying don't stay there, but if you do, know what signs of bedbug activity to look for. Again... this could happen anywhere, so just be aware.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to hotel rooms. Really cheap, in fact. I honestly expected to pay about $60 for this hotel room and was a little annoyed when told the price over the phone, and was pretty nervous after seeing some of the reviews on here.
HOWEVER, being forewarned about the seedyish area helped me not turn tail and run when I had to drive into a pretty industrial area to find this place. It was seven minutes from where we were canoeing the next day (Canoe Outpost), and oh my god, the bed. The bed was probably a California King size, soft, and really comfortable. The room was huge, the bathroom was huge, and the jacuzzi tub was huge and deep. And everything was CLEAN and had NO ROACHES. My only complaint about the tub was that it didn't get close to where I wanted the water level before the hot water ran out. Everything was clean, I wasn't nervous about security in the room (though there was a group of loud drunken men hanging out at the building across the street from the parking lot, so I was a bit worried about my car), and our experience was fantastic. Even the staff was able to point us in the direction of a Walgreens/CVS in the morning.
My only complaint was that the night checkin guy seemed really high on something when we checked in, but other than that he was friendly (though he didn't take off the discount he said he would after I mentioned that we were going to the Canoe Outpost the next morning) and competent and had us checked in really fast. And the continental breakfast was just muffins and some other pastry thing (I didn't really look) and a choice between apple juice, orange juice, and coffee.
Other than that, I'd recommend this place in a heartbeat and will probably stay here the next time I go back, but I will be complaining about the price. I've never paid this much for a Knights Inn before. I'll shop around a bit (there were two or three hotels in the area that didn't show up on TripAdvisor), but I'll definitely keep this place in mind.

Room Tip: Comfortable
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

First off I admit it, when not traveling with the wife I am a cheap skate on hotel rooms. This was a canoe trip with my 18 yr old son so we just needed the basics. Got a broke toliet lid, lamps did not work, caulk everywhere in the bathroom, towel rack hanging off the wall. I picked it over the Econo Inn for the free "breakfast". A orange juice maker, coffee maker and those Walmart muffins the size of tennis balls, about a whole dozen for all the guest. I am not a Hoytie Toytie type, just a avgerage joe who actually hates to complain and sweat the small stuff...but the bed bugs I found the morning we were leaving...I just had to throw it out for everyone. You've been warned!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
KnightsInnarcadia, General Manager at Knights Inn Arcadia, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
got2pla Thank you for choosing the Knights Inn during your recent visit to our area. We apologize for your experience howsoever it might have happened. Maintenance was informed of your report of possible bugs and instructed to look into the matter and to see to their elimination and was also notified of the problems which you experienced with the broken toilet lid, lamps, caulk in the bathroom and towel rack in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to their repair.
Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast with wide range of variety.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Knights Inn. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased and instructed to see to its repair or replacement. We appreciate the review and we take it quite seriously for improvement.

Hotel General Manager
Plant City, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Rented this room as it was the only major hotel listed other than a much more expensive chain. For continental breakfast I expected at least a choice. Coffee was barely warm, orange juice sour and the only choice was honey bun.
The room was clean but had a stale odor and we saw a few roaches, but that happens in Florida. The area is not that bad as it is on the main stretch going through town. Circle K close by and restaurants are fairly close too. The area was well lit, Courtyard and parking lot were clean and well kept. I would not be afraid to stay here by myself. The bed was comfortable, but a little soft for my taste. For what the room cost, I was expecting it to be a little nicer, but not a bad experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Though this motel is located in a bad neighborhood, all the rooms face inward and it is well-lit during the night. I felt perfectly safe.
Very clean room, small but adequate size.
Had small fridge, microwave and TV.
Comfortable bed, but when the security lights come on, the illumination can't be entirely shut out by the room-darkening curtains.
Water pressure was not real strong, but the water quality was very good.
Has a beautiful little pool and pool area in the back, secluded from sight until you go back there.
No road noise.
Bottom line: Though it was off-season, the place was packed with late model cars.
I paid $43.59 with AARP discount.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Whatever bad has been said, believe it. It is dirty, dumpy, and just plain bad. The chemicals that they use to "clean" the room gave me a sore throat. It's in a poor section of town, and although nothing bad happened, I certainly didn't feel safe.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Knights Inn Arcadia? Share your experiences!