“Not "Peaceful" At Peace River!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Peace River Campground

Peace River Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arcadia
Peace River Campground
You added Peace River Campground to your Saves list
2998 NW Hwy 70, Arcadia, FL 34266   |
Cape Coral, Florida
“Not "Peaceful" At Peace River!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband, My 2 daughters and I wanted a nice quiet camping trip for this special mothers day weekend. We drove an hour away to camp here at Peace River Campgrounds. I called in advance and was told that it should be a very quiet weekend and we will most likely nit see any other people in the wilderness area. We arrived on a Thursday after 5:30 Pm. Filled out a register form and found our way to the Peaceful Primitive Wilderness. We found a GREAT Spot On the River actually on the beach at the end of a Peninsula. We only passed one other group camping on the beach and we couldn't see or hear them from our spot. Perfect!
The river is beautiful. The entire area is breathtaking. We set up camp, went to town to get some food and had a great night by the campfire. We grabbed some firewood and left a note in the door slot that we would be back in the morning to pay for the site and the firewood.
Friday Morning 8 Am LOUD LOUD Fan Boats come down the river. We went to the Store and paid for our site and the wood. Everyone seemed friendly.
By 10 am ATV's were ripping thru the woods. LOUD. A LARGE Monster Truck, 2 Fan Boats, 3 ATV's and a Golf Cart pulled up right next to our site and unloaded a bunch of people, Dogs and Loud Music. They were there for the whole day. So we left our own site. We went to the pool, took a hike and tried our best to enjoy our trip.
Friday Night was even Wilder. The monster truck packed up but a group of people tented out right next to us. I mean right under the tree that had our Solar Shower.
Quiet time is supposed to start at 10 pm. They quieted down by 11pm, which wasn't soo bad.
But a group of 20 something year old guys camped out right along the hillside on the river to our right. LOUD, RUDE Noisey AND CURSING AFTER MIDNIGHT. Then they ran a generator. LOUD. Then they turned on a truck, with headlights and beamed it into MY TENT With MY KIDS Sleeping in it. I waited 10 min, 15 min, 20, 25, 30 minutes. Finally Trying to keep my husband from going to prison on 10 counts of murder, I called the emergency number. they guy who answered said he will "Shut 'Em Down" and Finally by 1:30 am they were quiet.
Saturday Morning My husband went to the store. I was walking on the shore in front of my tent. and 3 ATV's cam riding up behind my tent (Which My Kids Were IN). Then the one guy started backing up.....He got 2 feet away (NO EXAGGERATION) And stopped.... Looked Right at me and Went Full THROTTLE.....Spit up water and mud all over me! I Yelled "AS$h0!e!??"
He stopped, looked at me and they all left. I can bet you that wouldn't have happened to my 6'4" 260 Lb Husband!
My husband went back to the office Furious. There is a really nice lady that works there named "Missy". She Pointed out a tent site that was very secluded. No one can camp immediately left or right of you. She had some guys hold the site for us. We came back, put up a tent and canopy and went back to get the rest and our kids. when we get back there were 5 other ATV's RIGHT ON OUR SITE! Literally DRIVING THRU OUR GEAR!
Eventually when my husband returned, the guys apologized and said they thought we were breaking down, gave us a case of beer and headed out. We spent the rest of Saturday night in peace after the load ATV's and Fan Boats stopped.
And packed up Sunday morning.
Missy and Mickey were very nice and helpful. but this place is attracting the WRONG kind of people here. We were told by some of the residents and employee's that the past 5 years has really been a downward spiral. The class of people flocking to this place are ruthless, arrogant, and have no respect for people or nature.
This should not be advertised as Peaceful, Primitive Camping..... IT IS A ATV TRACK!\
IT IS LOUD.
IF they want to keep nice families coming, they would build a separate ATV TRACK within the acres and only have it run during certain hours. OR Designate ATV Weekends and Primitive Weekends. Until then, We Will NOT BE BACK!!

Room Tip: Only Stay here if you have a hearing Problem or Love Intrusive ATV's Driving thru your Campsite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

to the ones with negative opinions you're probably been like that your whole life. we go to peace river campground 5,6 times a year, the place is great, everyone is friendly, kids have fun riding atv. we love the place. the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was our first and last time camping at this campground. It was basically an ATV "Free For All" where underage kids race their "Jacked Up" Golf Carts and ATV's throughout the entire campgrounds with loud obnoxious, and obscene so called music. It blew my mind that parents allow their kids to go out of control like this, but then again we also saw alot of the parents doing the same thing. Explains where the kids got their bad habits from. There are no fish left in the river and their are only a few birds flying around. Even the wildlife can't handle the environment. So, Basically it is an out of control campground where we felt like we were camping in the "Hood." It could be a nice experience if they banned recreational vehicles. If you like the "Hood" then this is the place for you, otherwise I would look for another campground. Good Luck!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

If your thing is riding atvs or hiking the wilderness you will like this place if you don't like motor sports stay away. If you see a double golf cart with guy and his dog it is probably George the owner, if you flag him down for a chat be prepared for a long chat. We enjoyed our stay and will come back someday!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Charlotte, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We drove to this campground to spend the afternoon with relatives who camped there. We were angered to find we had to pay $14 to enter and park at their camp site. The charge is $7 per person in a vehicle! Why? We parked on the campsite, not disturbing anyone else's right to a parking space. The only answer we came up with is: Pure,unadulterated GREED on the part of the owners.
Our relatives were not pleased with the constant vehicular noises as ATVs and scooters and golf carts traveled up and down the dirt roads and they won't return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This place went from fun and good times to crap, the prices have gone way up and the friendly feel has gone. Most of the staff is good but some are just stupid, bathrooms are gross and showers aren't any better. It now costs $200.00 to camp for a weekend for a family of 4, add food and gas it's $300.00, not in this economy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Port Charlotte, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have rented a site here, $4,100 a year plus your charge for arm bands. It seems that their only
goal is to make money, which is alright. But when we started to go there we paid $2,700 a year and
was allowed free arm bands. It seems they are the only one that allows atvs, so they kind of got you
if you want to ride. My experience with the owner (who thinks he is some kind of ruler or God)
treats people like they are scum. Case in point went to retreave a four wheeler with my husband
that wasn't runing ( it had sit for four months and old gas) . All of a sudden one of the workers hollered
got you! He blocked my car and yelled to another worker to pull behind her. The owner showed up
with two more guys on golf carts. One would think this was a large drug bust, the worker (Cal) said
I gave him the finger! I'm 68 years old and never gave anyone ever the finger. This quy was either
drinking or something. After I walked away and went back to my trailer there were two more golf carts
sitting at the camper and preceeded to be there watching us while Cal went into a makeshift tatoo
place (that the owner allows to rent a space) and get a tatoo. Don't subject your children to any
abuse at this park, be with them at all times. This is (not) a family park!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcadia
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Arcadia
Knights Inn Arcadia
#2 of 4 in Arcadia
3.0 of 5 stars 32 reviews
Peace River RV & Camping Resort

Been to Peace River Campground? Share your experiences!