“The Gibson Inn was terrific” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gibson Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
You added Gibson Inn to your Saves list
51 Avenue C, Apalachicola, FL 32320   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Apalachicola
Valdosta, GA
“The Gibson Inn was terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

My wife and I made a second trip to Apalachicola and the Gibson Inn recently. Just like our first trip a couple of years ago, this one was equally terrific. The 2nd floor king suite with direct access to the porch is now our favorite room.
As usual the staff made us feel welcome and comfortable.
PJ was very helpful with some of our inquiries. Plus the dinning at Avenue Sea......David & Ryann.......we love what you have done with the menu!
This part of Florida is truly the "forgotten coast". I encourage anyone to visit now before it gets over run with resorts. And while you are there......you just got to have those wonderful oysters.
TC

• Liked — Historic Victorian Inn located in a small fishing village.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Navarre, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

I recently stayed at the Gibson Inn in Apalachicola, Florida and was totally awed by an era that has past us bye in the age of cell phones, internet, and $4.00 a gallon gas. The hotel is charnimg Old Florida. The room I was in, was a King with a wonderful iron bed and pedastal sink. Clean and comfortable with large windows to allow a scenic veiw of downtown. The greatest part of this stay is that the Gibson is located within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Beyond the hotel lobby and bar one can step back into an age of slower days. It was truly a relaxing evening and I would recommend this as a stop for anyone in the area of the Forgotten Coast.

• Liked — Laid back and nostalgia
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Crestview, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

First of all our room (306) was amazingly small. How small was it? Well, it was a queen bed and you could not have replaced it with a king size. To do so would have meant either not being able to open the front door -- or your would have had to crawl over the bed to reach the bathroom. Ahhh... the bathroom. The shower water pressure was about a 2.5 on a scale of 1 to 5. But the drain was about a 1. It took about 10 minutes for the accumulated water to drain out of the tub. The walls of the room were so thin that you could easily hear television and conversations in the next room. This became a furfther problem when people were checking in at midnight and slamming doors and banging down the halls. The previous year we stayed at the Best Western about 2 miles west of downtown and after seeing the Gibson downtown, we decided we would stay there our next visit. Well, I would take the Best Western anyday over the Gibson. Here's another intersting wrinkle... Gibson Inn management does not want you to drink your own beverages (booze or non-alcoholic) on their first floor veranda. Okay on the 2nd floor, but not on the first. Overall, I would not recommend this to anyone unless you REALLY like old places that creak and grown with everyone's footsteps.

• Liked — convenience to downtown dining and shopping
  • Disliked — room size and noisiness of entire complex
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Galveston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

I have never been treated so rudely as I was by the general manager (P.J) at the Gibson Inn. When I first arrived, I asked if they had an elevator. She laughed at me and said "We're a quaint little inn, we don't have elevators". One evening she approached me to tell me that I could not make my own drink and bring it outside on the veranda, even though that is what everyone else was doing. The kicker, though, is that on my last day I left my room with the heater on. When I got back that evening, someone had turned up the AC full blast and it was about 50 degrees in my room. When I complained to P.J., she acted like she didn't believe me. When I stressed that I was not happy with the situation, she just crossed her arms and said "What are you going to do about it?". It was like being slapped in the face. I said "I guess I'll just complain about it" and that's what I'm doing. The rest of the staff were very pleasant and polite, like hotel staff should be to their guests.

Other than P.J. ruining my stay, the hotel was just okay, nothing special. The rooms were small. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant because it was closed half the time I was there (in the mornings anyway). I did enjoy the hotel bar. Very friendly and talented bartenders.

Stayed April 2008
tallahassee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

We used the Gibson Inn for our wedding reception and to house the many out-of-town guests. The food was good but late and not enough seating had been put out. Furthermore, the manager of the Inn (Pamela) is difficult to communicate with and was evasive. She changed both the number of rooms that we needed to rent and the price. Lastly, since the Inn allows pets (which is great) at least one of our guests had to endure FLEAS.

Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

We stayed in room 304, it was very quite, I was pleased considering the amount of Harley's that were moving through the town on the way to a gathering of the herd in Panama City. I would stay again. Did not eat or drink, but did see the nice band they had on the wrap around porch. Don't confuse this with a B&B, it is an Inn, no breakfast and coffee is self serve in the Bar area with 8oz Styrofoam cups...Great coffee shop across the street, Cafe con Leche.

• Liked — quit, clean
  • Disliked — no real coffee...
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mobile, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stayed at the Gibson Inn in Apalachicola twice recently and really enjoyed our stay. It is quite a historic place. I recall going there in the 1970s when it was very rundown. It has been completely renovated and it is very pleasant.
We booked a queen room for about US$104 (They give discounts for AAA or AARP). It was a nice room with cable and wireless Internet at no extra charge. The bath had a full size old claw-footed bathtub as well as a full shower. Everything was very clean and inn-like. On our second stay we asked for the same room (rm 204, I think) and were accommodated.
We dined at the hotel restaurant one evening and were really impressed with the food and service. The chef came out to ask us about the food and exchange pleasantries. It was a relaxing experience.

• Liked — relaxing and historic
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gibson Inn? Share your experiences!