“Nothing fancy. Just good, fresh seafood” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
NC
“Nothing fancy. Just good, fresh seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Papa Joe's doesn't have the view of other restaurants in Apalachicola, and there's not much that's memorable except for the food itself. But in Florida's seafood coast, that's what we wanted. Papa Joe delivers quality.

Five of us went for lunch during the busy 4th of July week and each person in our party agreed it was among the best meals of the week. We'll be back next summer too.

Visited July 2014

Atlanta, GA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seafood Done Right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Popa Joe's Oyster Bar & Grill
Apalachecola, Fl

Last night my wife, son, daughter-in-law, grand-daughter (13) and grandson (9) dined there at 7 PM. The town was packed for the fireworks show and so was the restaurant. Told we had a 30 minute wait. After 20 minutes we were seated. An excellent waitress named Julie (amazing to me how often you have to ask for their name!) took our drink, appetizer and main course requests. We did this as we realized how over worked she was. I am sure they were staffed for a "normal" evenings traffic. The fried pickle spears with jalapeno flavored ranch dressing were the very best appetizer we have ever had! Should have ordered two! The Long Island Ice Teas were also very good. My son and wife each had 1 dozen oysters. Both agreed they were as good as it gets! They had real fresh grouper (you need to ask as they substitute if they are out and this is noted in the menu in small print!). I had mine blackened and it was top drawer! My daughter-in-law had hers' broiled and also thought it to be really good. Like many coastal restaurants there is a lack of ambiance, however, in this case it was made up in food quality. The only complaint is the air conditioning badly needs upgrading. This was previously a gym and I guess they need only a little cold air?

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Georgia
“Still our favorite seafood restaurant in Apalach!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have been eating at Papa Joe's for years and it's always been our "go to" place for fresh seafood. We were a little worried after it moved to it's new location and read a few bad reviews. We went anyway to see for ourselves if the food was still the best. We got there Friday night at 6:00 pm and the place was already 3/4 full. The service was great and the food was excellent! I got the New York strip steak (I had eaten seafood for the last 10 days) and my husband got the seafood platter. Both were amazing!! We had gone to Boss Oyster earlier in the week only because my husband loves the fish dip. He got the seafood platter there and it was over $32.00 and NOT very good. It was $22.99 and so much better! We were in and out in one hour. Don't believe the bad reviews.....just go see for yourself!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodstock, Georgia
“New Location / Same Great Food and Friendly Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Papa Joe's has moved off the water and are now in downtown Apalachicola but that is the only thing that has changed. They still serve some of the best food in the area and are our favorite place to go if we only had one place to eat in Apalachicola. The "A" oysters (butter and Parmesan cheese) are very hard to beat although we have tried others that is our stand-by favorite. While we were disappointed that crab claws were not available, we really enjoyed the shrimp platter. We will definitely be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Augusta, Georgia
“Pretty Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

I was told to eat here. The atmosphere is interesting...not bad but not amazing either. I ordered the bay scallops and they were pretty good. I would go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere