“Great Food At This Restaurant - Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a beautiful restaurant located in the Gibson Inn which is on the national historical register having been built in 1907.Our cuisine is called New Florida cuisine featuring local fish and the freshest ingredients all prepared creatively by Chef Ira Mittelman.So come on in for a quiet dinner, or a family night out(we have a children's menu. Or if you want to bring your 4 legged friend we have outdoor seating
Lindale, Georgia
“Great Food At This Restaurant - Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I can not say enough good things about this Restaurant Hotel. We had nine people in our group and were seated immediately. The staff here are very caring and gracious. The food was delicious, we had so many different items from the menu that I can honestly say the Nine people left here completely satisfied. Also, we spoke with the folks at the front desk of the Hotel and they allowed us to view some of their rooms. The rooms here are fantastic, no room is exactly alike. they are furnished in antique furniture. We plan to return here soon and stay in one of the great rooms.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

unguidedmissal
“It is Apalach, after all...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

It was a Saturday night early...not very busy. The bread with red pepper garlic spread was a nice start. Some might find the garlic a bit heavy but not I. The Ceasar's salad was tasty though not very prettily presented. The parmesian crisp was strangely overcooked and yet not crisp. The swordfish fish of the day was described as topped with a tomato, olive, caper salsa but it came not quite cooked in the middle (it was cut quite thickly) and with the fore mentioned items just kind of scattered about as opposed to hanging together as a "salsa". The lazy girl potatoes were tasty though I would have preferred them presented rather than glopped on. Picky, picky. My vegetarian date was happy with her poblano pepper cheesecake. I tasted it and it was surprisingly light and lightly peppery. She also ordered and liked the grilled asparagus but (another presentation issue) would have liked them plated with her cheesecake as opposed to on a separate plate. The asparagus could have been trimmed a bit more of the fibrous bottom parts and (personal preference) had the basalmic left off. The key lime pie was nice and tart/bitter as they should be. I would have preferred a bit higher pie to crust ratio. The strawberry shortcake was very good with a scone-like shortbread and very fresh strawberries. Both deserts was topped with freshly wihipped cream.
The ambiance was the usual comfortable warmth of that space that has been consistent through all its' iterations. The service was pretty good. We are in Apalach after all.
I'll probably be going back...try different dishes maybe. They serve a good many vegetarian options which is very much appreciated there not being much of that in the area.
Well...It's not Avenue C but, again, we are in Apalach and it may be a bit better "fine dining" than The Owl.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Panama City, Florida
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

After a long day exploring Apalach and enjoying the beach at St. George Island, my husband and I decided to give Ira's a try. We are so glad we did. The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable, and our server was knowledgeable and attentive. The husband loves seafood and was beyond happy with the Oyster Saute appetizer and the Cioppino for dinner.I'm allergic to seafood (a real downer in this area, I know), so I had an appetizer of the specials list with Florida tomatoes, Vidalia onions, and balsamic (very tasty), and the ribeye for dinner. The steak was actually cooked properly, and even though I ordered it well done, it was juicy, flavorful, and not at all leathery. We will be going back.

Visited April 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Excellent dining!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Last night my husband and I, and our friendly dog, Smooch (because they are a pet friendly dining place), enjoyed a most wonderful dining experience at Ira's at the Gibson Inn!! I had the fresh Aligator Point Clams in a tasty broth and Ken had the Oyster Saute for appetizer. Emily, our server, was very, very friendly and attentive and when Ira learned Smooch was with us he came out to say hello! Ira gave us wine selection suggestions as well. For our main course, and to pleasantly avoid all the fried food, I enjoyed Grilled Shrimp with Pesto Penne - OMG!! It was sooo fresh! Ken had the Homemade Spicy Sausage/Mushroom Ravioli. Excellent!! Smooch even got a big bowl of cold water!! To finish we delighted in the fresh homemade Key Lime Pie. Wow! We sat on the porch outside and it was a lovely, lovely evening! Thank you!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Fl
“"you win some and you lose some"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

After consulting with Trip Advisor and seeing several good reviews for this quaint hotel dining room we decided to give it a try. It is difficult to find good vegetarian fare in a seafood-specialty town but the menu listed some veg choices. After ordering the two veg options our waitress came back to report the kitchen had no pesto. So? After 15 min. She returned to say they could provide the pasta with a red pepper optional pesto. OK? sounded fine. But wasn't. No flavor. When she brought the check she said,"you win some and you lose some." Not my night for winning.

• Visited April 2013