“Home Town Good” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Description: Soul Food. Sea Food. Good Food. Off the beaten path. No frills. Nothing fancy. Just good food! Family recipes and the best fried chicken ever!
Orlando, Florida
“Home Town Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Forego the touristy places downtown in the historic area and head for A.J.'s. This is the kind of soul seafood I had many years ago growing up in Mobile, Alabama. The place is neighborhood rather than obvious and they were doing a busy takeout business while we dined on crab cakes and fried chicken, both yummy. Our young waitress was so personable and attractive, and she won my heart by quickly asking when she learned our dog was with us "Would she like some water?"
We'll shop downtown, especially at Bickel Photography, but dine at A.J.'s.

• Visited November 2013

Leesburg, Georgia
“Better Than Mom's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I are in Apalachicola for the Florida Seafood Festival. We have been here a week and have just about eaten every bit of seafood that we could find ...... and, it was all good. But today, we decided to visit AJ's Neighborhood Bar & Grill for some down home cooking.

This restaurant is not located in the downtown area for the tourists. As its name implies, it can be found in a neighborhood just northwest of the city center. The menu is straight forward and has many southern home favorites like fried chicken, mullet, crab cakes and hamburger steak.

My wife and I both had the hamburger steak with mashed potatoes, green beans and fried okra. The dessert was homemade peach cobbler. This was truly a great meal and we will be back. Oh yes, it was even better than Mom's.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando, Florida, USA
“A delicious find for a great birthday celebration!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

During a family weekend at St. George Island, near Apalachicola, we sought a restaurant where we could enjoy a nice dinner for my Mom's birthday. We used Trip Advisor and found AJ's Neighborhood Bar & Grill, and were VERY pleased with our selection! We had a party of six adults, and each chose a different seafood selection on the extensive menu. Everyone was delighted, and I especially loved my grilled crab cake basket. The hushpuppies were amazing - they really reminded me of the ones my Dad used to make! The price of our dinner was quite reasonable, the service was excellent, and I would highly recommend AJ's!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great Home Cooking & Best Fresh Seafood Soul Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This place adds something extra special to their food and I believe it is Love. Clean and Great Food, run by a husband and wife team that put their heart and soul into it. I loved the Bar selections and the great food and deserts. Save room for desert.

Visited April 2013
Concord, NC
“Tasty local lunch....use your GPS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Found this place on the chamber of commerce website. Glad we stopped in for lunch while on vacation. Southern seafood with a soul food flair - or the other way around. Locally caught food done right. I hear the Sunday buffet is really good and very busy. Worth a try, especially if you have been downtown for a couple of meals and want to venture out and see where the locals eat.

• Visited August 2013