“Wheelchair Accessible Anna Maria Island/Sunrise Garden Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunrise Garden Resort

Save Saved
You added Sunrise Garden Resort to your Saves list
Sunrise Garden Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   512 Spring St, Anna Maria, Anna Maria Island, FL 34216   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Anna Maria
louisville,KY
“Wheelchair Accessible Anna Maria Island/Sunrise Garden Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the resort July 23rd thru 28th, and had one of the most enjoyable vacations we've ever had. That is saying something because my adult son is confined to a heavy power wheelchair, and travel in general can be a real hassle.
I will say we looked for weeks for an accessible place to stay as we really wanted a house, maybe one right on the beach, but we had no success. Most had a least a small step to get in, were already booked, or we could get no reply when requesting info. Sunrise Garden Resort was really perfect for us, and we're really glad we found it. We felt like we had plenty of privacy.
So my first contact with the resort was when I called and asked about accessibility, Amanda put me on hold and ran out and checked that Unit 1 would work for us. It is a king bedroom, full bath, and large living area with a bar that separates the full kitchen.
My two adult daughters shared the king bedroom. There was plenty of room in the living area for a roll away bed that I rented for my son ($45 for the whole week) and an electric hoyer lift I rented as well,($145 delivered from Davidson Drugs (941) 365-7378) to be able to get him in and out of the bed and wheelchair. I slept on the sofa, and was very comfortable. It folds out to sleep two, but I didn't pull it out as it was roomy and comfortable for me as it was.

The location of the resort is really great, less than a block from the bay side, and a 3 block walk to the beach. We didn't need to drive anywhere really, other than the Publix grocery that was awesome, by the way.
I loved that the Waterfront Restaurant, Two Scoops ice cream, and some other shops were almost adjacent to the resort. All of that was easily accessible for the wheelchair too. City Pier was especially nice to walk. We saw a large group of manta one afternoon, and beautiful sunsets.
Again, the girls that manage and work at the resort were just amazing with any questions, even my accessibility questions, which I'm sure were not the usual. There are even a couple of boat tours that offer accessible pontoon boats. We didn't get to do one only because we hadn't thought about it in advance, and they were all booked. So go ahead and ask some questions about activities when you book your stay, and be sure to get those activities booked before you get there.
Any question I asked was either answered immediately or they would say "let me make a few calls and find out." For instance, the roll away I didn't think to ask for until 4:55, right before the rental place closed. I'm not sure how they did it, but it arrived less than 20 minutes later.
Anna Maria Island is a very different place, a different time almost. It seemed like no matter the need we had, everyone really wanted the answer to be yes, and everything was just worked out. Another example of that...we ran to the Publix the first evening to get food for breakfast. We got there at 9:20, and even though they closed at 9, they were still welcoming people in. I must have seemed a little hurried when I got in. One of the workers asked if she could help me find anything and then said take your time, we are here for a while stocking and cleaning up, no hurry. Island life is genuinely a little different! Truly the first experience like that I have had, and the first vacation I have taken where I really wasn't "ready to go home and sleep in my own bed." This resort and the island were like home, only better.

also check out Island Haus Coffee, very good coffee and cute little shop. Love the Beach House Restaurant too. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the island is that the water tasted dirty or maybe sandy? to us. No worries, just drink rum! Actually we just bought plenty of spring water at the grocery. Good idea to have bottles on you while walking or being out in the heat anyway.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good, though I only saw my own in person. The website pictures seem to be...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Quitman, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We loved the Sunrise Garden!! The whole experience was so very relaxing. The resort is small, so everything is just steps away...from easy parking to the beautiful pool. The landscaping is so lush and tropical that it felt like you were in a secluded spot, but you are actually one block down a quiet residential street from shopping, City Pier, great restaurants, and shopping. You really could just park your car and forget it! Our room was very clean and well stocked with everything we needed. The area beaches beautiful! Can't wait to come back to this wonderful place!

Seffner, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband I recently stayed for our wedding and honeymoon... We will be back! It was quiet, laid back and friendly. No complaints. It has become our little piece of paradise. Once you arrive, and check in, you can walk to anything that you want... restaurants, shopping, even late evening snacks. Your "unit" has a complete kitchen for those like to stay in and cook. The beach is only one - two blocks away with restaurants, fishing and live music on the pier... Great for watching sunsets. Thank-you Sunrise Garden for a great getaway. We will be back next year for our anniversary!!!! See you soon!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool side are awesome!
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Best place in Florida to stay. They have the best staff, the best area, the best beach, the best pool, great restaurants, the rooms are always fresh and clean and the sunset in Anna Maria Island are unforgetable! If you stay once...you will fall in love with this place! Sooo go soon!

• Stayed May 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My fiance' & I stayed in unit # 4 & loved it! It has everything you need & more. For example, cooking utensils, plates, silverware,etc... Also very spacious & clean. Walking distance to the beautiful beaches & restaurants. We are already planning our next stay. I will definitely be recommending Sunrise Garden Resort to family & friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Peru, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This was our first time to Anna Maria Island and Sunrise Garden made us really enjoy it.
Villa was very clean, property was very clean and the pool was wonderful. Staff was very friendly and helpful. we will definitely stay here again and I will recommend it to family and friends

West Palm beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Wife and I picked this hotel off of Trip Advisor based on recommendations from other members. You might be doing the same.

We choose the Owners Suite, and it was a bit larger than we needed. I would go with the units on the north side of the property if we return. The pool area is very nice , and the location was excellent as it allowed us to walk from the bay, to the gulf, and was far removed
from any noise or traffic.

The down side for us was the lack of daily maid service, and a bit of a "tired" feeling to the rooms. They did tell us that they will be renovations soon
and they have plans for other improvements.

The staff is very nice, and the owner seems sincerely interested in the property.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Sunrise Garden Resort? Share your experiences!