“Love this place.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Lambertville, New Jersey
“Love this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I can't stop thinking about that berry salad and shrimp dish I had at this lovely, small restaurant last night. Our server, Roger Widemen, the charismatic and responsive waiter, made recommendations for meals and salads. The chef prepared our large shrimp with a spinach filling and cream sauce that was superb. No lacking of butter or cream here. My salad had a large portion of warm goat cheese wrapped in fillo dough on top. This spinach salad was filled with berries of all kinds and bacon. (Would love to know where this bacon came from because my store bought bacon looks and tastes nothing like this bacon.) One of our diners had a delicious bowl of mussels that I would have also enjoyed. Yes, our service was slower than food chains because when you prepare food fresh from the stove and not the freezer, it takes a little longer. We were delighted because it gave us ample time for catching up with our Cape Cod/New York friends who were familiar with this delightful place. This was really exceptionally good restaurant food. I gasped when we walked past their award winning dessert refrigerator. Everything was made there and apparently they are famous for their desserts. We chose the "small portions" option and even those food portions are quite generous so we resisted temptation. However, if I lived on Anna Maria Island, I would go there to pick up a dessert for take out. Don't miss this place if you are on Anna Marie Island.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Anna Maria Island, Florida
“Meanest rudest people ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Well I must admit the food is good but you do not want to ask for anything that's not specified in your dish or face the wrath of the owner/chef and an extra charge if you'd rather ave rice than potatoes. Eventhough, they are both on the menu for the exact same price. Service is sloooow and there is a general lack of concern for customers. I for one will never go back

Visited November 2013
Michigander
“Setting, Food and Desserts Best on AMI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Mixed reviews for food and service are hard to understand. Some people are just hard to please. This is a wonderful place with a quaint and unique setting in an old cottage. Yes you may have to eat in a small bedroom or use an even smaller bathroom but if you want 'creature comforts' go eat at a Red Lobster off Anna Maria Island (AMI).

This place has a soul and character to match the laid back nature of AMI. Outstanding food and better deserts. Went on Valentines Day with wife and another couple and were given a carnation at the end of stay - nice touch.

The Brie appetizer and '3 Seafood' entree of Lobster, Shrimp and Scallops was wonderful. Service can be spotty but most of the waitstaff have been there for years and they know the menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Mixed experience - great food, poor service which was disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We looked forward to our dinner out at Sign of the Mermaid. However, it was disappointing because the service was poor. Our waitress was rushing through every interaction with us and we waited a long time in between interactions. The food was very good -- we both had grouper with different sauces. Mine was with spinach and Boursin and my husband's was with mushrooms and crab meat.

It's ironic since this would be the easiest thing to fix, The couple across from us was seated and the host forgot to assign wait staff so they waiting a very long time to even place an order. After they got someone's attention, it still took awhile and the host ended up serving them. This place is understaffed or needs some process improvements for sure. What a shame as you'd like to go out and relax and be well taken care of on a night out.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sarasota, FL
“LOVE THIS RESTAURANT!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I've lived in the Sarasota area for 8 1/2 years, and have had the opportunity of dining in some of Anna Maria's restaurants, but when I walked in the door of this restaurant I had a feeling I found my new favorite place! Just the decadent smells alone made my mouth water?! This old house from the early 1900's still had the same fireplace, and doorways of it's original floor plan, but has been converted into the warmest and coziest of restaurants. Let's now talk food, shall we? I had the "stuffed shrimp" and I'm still drooling over it! My honey had the scallops, and those were out of this world, and my next selection when we return. Can't wait to try this place for breakfast. Homemade desserts looked phenomenal, but we just couldn't eat another bite? Next time, we'll save room! Reservations a must!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere