“Don't Let the Outside of This Restaurant Fool You” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Sandwiches, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner
Fairfield, New Jersey
“Don't Let the Outside of This Restaurant Fool You”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

It's a long walk on the pier from the street to the restaurant but definitely worth it. The dining room is not enormous but always filled and offers great views of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge to the east.. The menu offers fresh catch and most dishes can be grilled, fried or blackened depending upon your taste. There is a little bar outside so you can relax after dinner and check out the dolphins swimming by after dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fun to watch everyone fishing off the pier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

The food is good and the service is excellent. It's a great place to just eat and watch everyone fish. We saw some dolphins while watching people fish after lunch. Fun place to try has that local feel.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Middletown, Ohio
“Beautiful view but bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My family and I ate there. Food was just OK. Service was not good at all. The waiter seemed like he did not want to be working or dealing with anybody. We all have bad days but geeze! The view and the dolphin playing in the water at the pier made up for it! The pier is really cool and it is very pretty there! I will go back but hope if the waiter is still there that he is in a better mood! Also be prepared to show your ID if you want a beer and are under 50! I had to go back to car for mine before he would serve me one!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Johnsburg, Illinois
“Worst food on the island”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was so excited to eat here after watching the dolphins play in the water just off the pier. It was about 7 pm on a Sunday and I wasn't in the mood for a big fancy dinner. I ordered the fish and chips and it was the worst I have ever had. Beach cafe is far superior. Tge fish was flat, skinny, overcooked naking it tough and it had no flavor. I would have complained but a family member was treating and I didn't want to be rude. Restaurant was not busy (I can now see why) but the food still took forever. I have been visiting the island for years - this was my first visit to the pier restaurant and I will not be returning. I guess people get suckered in by the view the way we did. Diner beware... The food was terrible!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I really liked this restaurant the last time we visited the area, so we decided to go again, this time with my sister and her husband.

We sat outside in a nice, clear evening. Unfortunately, there was a guitar playing "singer" performing which greatly diminished our enjoyment in sitting outdoors.

Although we were seated immediately, it took at least 10-15 minutes to get our drinks: a couple of beers and sodas. Many minutes passed again to have our order taken. I specifically asked our waitress which fish was freshly caught and she said the grouper and mahi. However, when I received my mahi sandwich it was most definitely NOT fresh -- so disappointing, especially since I asked before ordering. My husband and brother-in-law had the grouper and enjoyed it. The crabcakes and coconut shrimp were very good too.

So a mixed review -- we will give it another try next trip.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere