“My secret place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rod & Reel Motel

Rod & Reel Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Anna Maria
Rod & Reel Motel
You added Rod & Reel Motel to your Saves list
877 N. Shore Dr., P.O. Box 1939, Anna Maria, Anna Maria Island, FL 34216   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Anna Maria
Placitas, New Mexico
“My secret place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I am reluctant to share this small getaway; sometimes secrets are good to have.I found this place years ago and just revisited it. It's an old Florida place; just a few rooms, newly painted. Right on the water with wading birds and diving pelicans. I like the quiet nature of the place; although it's at the end of the pier of the very popular restaurant. That's an advantage too; stroll up the pier for breakfast or dinner; no need to dress fancy. Take home some great grouper and have a quiet dinner in the small kitchenette in the room.
And it's just a short drive to a great Florida beach; that isn't very busy either. My idea of paradise; away from the maddening crowds.
That's why I take vacations

Room Tip: Pay a little more and you'll be at water's edge
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
burlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed at the Rod and Reel motel for just one night after landing in Tampa and needing a place to stay until we checked into our rental house. Our plane was delayed, which meant we didnt arrive to the motel until about 9:30-10 pm. We were a bit worried that we wouldn't be able to check in. When we arrived there was a note left for us and both room keys, it wasn't a problem at all! They even left nice greeting cards in each room!!
we had rooms 5 and 10. 10 has nice sliding doors that are steps to the ocean. The rooms exceeded expectations, while the building itself is a bit old, the rooms have been maintained and updated nicely. Plus, the grounds are well maintained boasting beautiful gardens with many places to sit, eat and drink.
Each room had a nice kitchenette with microwaves, fridges, plates , cups , cutlery and more!
There were 8 of us staying in the two rooms and we fit great for one night. I would definitely stay again :)

Room Tip: room 10 has doors to the ocean. two beds close together. kitchenette, table and bathroom room 5 h...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

We've been to the Rod and Reel in past years while on vacation on Anna Maria and could never understand the popularity of this place, other than the location and the pier. There was a fire in the kitchen awhile ago, so the place was remodeled and updated which was greatly needed. We decided to try it again after watching an incredible sunset. After a 45 minute wait, we were seated and greeted by a wonderfully enthusiastic waitress. The food; not so wonderful. I had pecan crusted amberjack which was a huge piece of fish and was ok, although a little dry, but the sides were basically inedible. Horrible zucchini and how do you wreck a baked potato? Like I said, it's "an experience." I did hear that the fried scallops are very good. So better for fried food perhaps.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed here for just one night in February, waiting our weekly rental to open up. The rooms are updated, well appointed and clean. It's a small complex, definitely not a "resort", but it is directly on the water and for the price you can't beat it.
Our room had a "double" bed, which could stand to be a queen, but there was a complete efficiency kitchen, nice countertops, and plenty of kitchen equipment to cook up fish you could catch right on the grounds.
The grounds definitely need attention, and with little effort this place would be a gold mine. Simple things like replacing broken lounge chairs, power washing and a little paint would spruce this place up in no time.
However, for the price, it's convenient, especially since you could eat all your meals at the Rod and Reel Pier, which is right there.
I'd come back here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to request at least a queen sized bed. The double is very small.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Visited here December and we like to go fishing on the island.
Hotel was clean and comfortable - all on ground floor so would suit those with mobility problems. Nice garden/court yard where you can sit out facing the sea.
Our room had 2 double beds - very comfortable, small kitchen, TV and bathroom with shower.
Spacious and comfortable.
My only complaint is they are very very slow to answer emails.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Even though we live in Sarasota (home of the world's best beaches!) we took a weekend to explore near-by Anna Maria Island. The entire island is totally laid back with 2 great piers, one the city pier and the other the Rod and Reel Pier (which I hightly recommend for their breakfasts and outstanding Mexican grouper:) Anyway, this little "resort" is fabulous - small kitchen, right on the water, with a little tiki hut outside for relaxing by the water. Rates are amazingly low. Check it out - you won't be sorry! It is a fisherman's paradise!

Room Tip: We will request rooms 9, 10 or 11 next time. We had 9 and it had a water view but 10 and 11 are rig...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I had to come in town for a wedding and decided to stay 3 days at the Rod & Reel for a little getaway. The word "Resort" is a little misleading because it's really a motel. Yes not hotel, a motel. When you first pull up I thought my wife was going to kill me because it isn't the most pleasing to the eyes at first, maybe the carport did it? But, I have to say we checked in for Room 9 and were given the remote to our tv at the front desk and felt much better...No but really it wasn't that terrible because it's right on the water and there isn't any beach where they are located, but a short 1/4 mile walk or drive down the road and you're in a prime beach spot. (Don't go to the public beach, go the opposite direction and walk down one of the paths through the trees and it takes you out to a more private, beautiful beach behind some amazing houses. Anyway between all the friends we had in town for the wedding we rented out 7 of the 11 rooms. When we arrived there were ants all over our room (counters, floor, etc) but there weren't a ton so we decided to suck it up and not complain unless it got worse. Well... later that night after we came back to the room around 5pm there were thousands of ants, no exaggeration everywhere including in the bed, on the pillows, walls, counters, bathroom, windows...I went to the front desk and was told "this is Florida, you're at the beach and that's what happens when you leave food out in your room". One problem, there was no food in the room at this point, and I'm from Florida, I live at the beach on the other coast and understand some ants will come out but this was literally an infestation! So what did the nice lady at the front do, she gave me a can of Raid and said have a nice stay (I repeat, this is not a resort). The Raid sufficed until we could finish our stay, but the best thing I haven't mentioned yet just in case you're still possibly planning on staying...A friend of mine who stayed in the room next to us #10 (also with ants, but not as many) on the final day had a terrible rash on his neck. Went back home and went to the doctor only to find out the bed he slept in was infested with Bed Bugs and they have to cut it off his neck and he had to get multiple stitches! I guess when you look at his experience I was lucky to only have to deal with a metropolis of ants. In case you aren't familiar with Anna Maria and you're coming from out of town like we were, we found that the majority of nice places are still in what I would call Anna Maria, but it's about 2 miles up the road in Holmes Beach. We had a few other friends stay in great places and when we go back will be going there. Hope this helps, or at least hope someone notifies the Health Inspector about this place.

Room Tip: Only Rooms 10 & 11 have a view of the water
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rod & Reel Motel? Share your experiences!