“WORST PLACE EVER” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte Springs Orlando North

You added Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte Springs Orlando North to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte Springs Orlando North
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Altamonte Springs
Apopka, Florida
“WORST PLACE EVER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I booked this place last minute because it was close to functions me and my kids were attending. I'm embarrassed to say I got as far as I did!! My first clue to run far far away should have been while checking in there were several very scuzzy, dirty men leaning over the railings of every floor drinking (at 6:30pm at night). I checked in thinking the lobby didn't look too bad. We had to drive around the back of the hotel to get to our room. We carried our luggage up to the 2nd floor trying not to touch anything as there was at least 3 inches of grime and dirt and spider webs on the walls, floor, ceiling. We reached our floor and had a hard time finding our room, I noticed that the fire alarm pulls on the walls were all broken, some missing. We finally figured out which way we were supposed to go and realized we were the last room at the end o the balcony. There were already scuzzy men - did I mention that already - with furniture pulled out onto the balcony sitting in our way. I immediately told my daughter to turn around, get back in the car, we were leaving immediately. I never made it to my room to see if it was clean, if there were roaches or bed bugs! So I cannot comment on the condition of the room. But the deplorable conditions of the outside of the building and the concern for the safety of my daughter and I, I booked it back to the lobby to beg for my money back. I explained that I was afraid for my safety and that I would please like to get my money back. I told the "manager" about the men all over the place, that I couldn't even get to my room without walking past several men who were obviously just getting started in their quest to get drunk and do who knows what else and that I needed a safer place to stay. He offered me another room for $20 more - thanks alot!!! - but he would not give me my money back for the first night I had booked. Stating it was company policy. I told him to keep my money, my daughters and my safety was more important to me. We left $76 poorer with nothing to show for it but the feeling of a much needed very hot shower to get the feeling of filth and grime and dirty man stare off us!! If you have any respect for yourself - DO NOT BOOK A ROOM HERE!! DO NOT STAY HERE EVER!!
Howard Johnson Co, should be ashamed to have their name on this hotel!!

Room Tip: Like I said, never made it to the rooms or "ammenities" as the overall quality of the hote...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HJPOrlando, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte Springs Orlando North, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for your honest review. I am so sorry to hear about your stay. We have several different construction companies that stay with us week after week, so that may have been the reason you saw so many men hanging around outside. We are currently in the middle of a $75,000 fire alarm system upgrade, because the safety of our guest's is our #1 priority. The reason some fire alarm pulls are missing/broken is because they are all being replaced to help ensure our guest's safety. We would love for you to reconsider and stay with us the next time you are in the area. Please email me at reservations@hjporlando.com and I would be happy to make sure that your next stay with us if very accommodating.

Have a wonderful day!

Ashley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I didn't stay at this hotel, however I was invited to attend to a networking meeting at this facility. We were all gathered by the breakfast table and first thing I notices were the roaches coming out the bagel tray and toaster. It was very disgusted and dissappointed at this. I was hungry but after I saw that I decided not to eat anything. It seems that someone told the lady in charge and she changed the bagels. After a while someone else noticed 2 roaches in the bagel tray. Unbelievable I had never seen something like that. I'm surprised of how the Health Department is not involved. What a nightmare!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
greenwood, indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We took the kids to Walt Dizzney during spring break and stayed at this hotel. They took us in on a short notice and although the power went out on the first night we gor there, everybody was trying hard to get things back in order. The staff were super friendly from the manager all the way to the lowest rank. The kids liked the pool, the rooms were clean and their breakfast service was fine. Everybody was willing to help and we enjoyed our stay. Will definetly stay there again on future trips to the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ft Pierce
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed in room 302, I found bedbugs in the morning on the couch and in the bath tub, our bathroom light fixture and a can of WD-40 were left on the table. No light in the bathroom, they ran out of sheets and blankets, we were bumped from our original two bed to a bed and a couch. I called the next day and left my name and number, on Wednesday I sent an email to the Corp office as I had no response from the Hotel Manager, I also sent an email to the travel site I booked with. I now have bed bugs in my house. Just so you know the cost is 500.00 per room to treat. Do yourself a favor, stay somewhere else.We had also booked for the last weekend of March ( through a travel site so we were stuck with the room as I didn't have the funds to pay for another room somewhere esle, GOD I wish I would have), they did try to make things better by putting us up in a suite, and we took the same pillow from home, so I would have to assume the suite are now also infested. I can' sleep at night, I feel as though things are crawling on me, I don't think I can ever stay at a HOJO's again- ALSO after the fact it seems 329 also has bed bugs per a post from another customer who stayed at the Hotel in Feb 13.

Room Tip: go elsewhere they have BED BUGS
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
North Chatham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

First, the good..... We got a "really" good deal here so I have to say that being offered a FREE hot breakfast was definitely a bonus! It's not a wonderful spread but it's good, varied and FREE, plus more than most hotels offer and they are much more expensive.

The staff were all VERY accommodating, helpful and friendly! I didn't catch the name of the man on night duty but he suggested we toto the comedy show in the lounge on Friday night and it was AWESOME! James, the manager in the WHY NOT LOUNGE was AMAZING not only in his capacity as manager but he went out of his way to suggest activities in and around Orlando as well.

Now for the hotel. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the pool delightful. It definitely needs a makeover as the room is drab and lackluster. My guess is that this entire side of the hotel could use a do over. I suspect that the other side of the hotel has already been done.

Other than the free breakfast, we didn't eat at the hotel but we saw a lot of food being served and a lot of empty plates going back to the kitchen so my conclusion is happy customers!

Overall I would say this hotel could use some work BUT if you just want a clean place to put your head at night and you don't want to pay astronomical prices for it, this is the place.

Room Tip: Request pool side. We were street side and without the air on it gets loud early in the morning. We...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HJPOrlando, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte Springs Orlando North, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello Kristen G,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I see you had time to enjoy several of our amenities on property. Our staff take pride in going out of their way to ensure that all of our guests have a more than satisfactory stay. I see our night auditor and James from the lounge was a big help to you and had a great part in making your stay satisfactory. I will definitely relay your kind words. We are in the process of updating our hotel/rooms and hopefully the next time you stay with us we will be finished. Thank you for your honest review.

Have a wonderful day!!

Ashley

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Altamonte Springs Orlando North? Share your experiences!