“All around excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Orlando, FL
“All around excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

We had the pleasure of trying the Eastern Pearl last weekend. An intimate setting, with the bonus of a full view of the kitchen. Want to see what's going into your dinner? Go watch them make it!

We started with fried tofu and soup. The wonton soup was excellent, with a rich broth and a hint of sweetness in the wonton filling. The egg drop soup was a rich golden color, with a delightful buttery mouth feel. The tofu was presented in our choice of either a salt and pepper sauce, or a sesame sauce, which we selected. Served piping hot and perfectly fried, it was all we could do to not burn our tongues.

The first time I visit an ethnic restaurant, I typically select a well known dish for that cuisine. If you can't make the basics, then I won't bother with your signature dishes. We ordered chicken and brocolli and orange chicken, and we were not disappointed. The chicken and brocolli was served with just a light coating of sauce (I don't prefer the chicken be able to swim in the sauce) and the brocolli was perfectly steamed.

The sauce for the orange chicken tasted of a good marmelade, with just a little heat imparted by the chili's. More brocolli garnished the plate, which I did not mind.

Even the rice served on the side was well done. Clearly a jasmine rice, it was cooked to perfection and not at all sticky.

We grabbed a take out menu, and we will be back!

Pacifica, California
“Of all the things I miss...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

Of all the things I miss about Orlando, Eastern Pearl is high on my list! What great food! the ambiance and service are amazing, although I would get takeout at least once a week when I lived in O-town. Crispy chicken was my favorite!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook