“Worst of the Choice Hotels that I've been to & Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alachua
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Worst of the Choice Hotels that I've been to & Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I'm not sure I can say anything nice about this hotel. I stayed on a Saturday night and checked out on Sunday. It is a very old motel that is in the process of being updated, but my room was not. First, when I checked in, the person behind the desk was on the phone. She was somewhat rude to both the person on the phone and also to another staff member. I had to wait nearly 10 minutes for her to check me in. She put me in room 134. The room looked like something out of the 1960's. There were cracked tiles in the shower. I found 4 different bugs in the room (3 were flying and one was a roach). I needed to use the iron, but someone had taken the plug for it. I went to the front desk and the clerk brought me another iron. This one had gunk on the iron so I had to use a towel over my clothes because I didn't want gunk on them. The towels (only 2) in my bathroom were threadbare and needed replacing. The next day, as I was preparing to leave, I wanted to get some ice for the road. None of the ice machines were operating! I would not stay in this hotel again. For $95, it was way over priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

After spending one night at the Econo Lodge adjacent to the Quality Inn in Alachua, FL, I thought I'd have to stay in Gainesville to get a decent room. I took a chance, considering the poor reviews on TripAdvisor, and checked out the Quality Inn. Although the lobby was deserted when I arrived (I wondered if the clerk had been abducted), she showed up after 15 minutes and apologized for not being at the desk. Apparently, a guest had broken a glass bottle in either the hall or parking lot as she had cut her finger picking it up. Anyway, I booked a King room for the night, but ended up being so delighted with the condition of the room that I immediately called the clerk from my room and booked it for the remainder of my stay in the area.

Upon entering the room, I noticed that the bed looked clean and inviting. The carpeting appeared new and the room smelled fresh. The decor was attractive and welcoming, with one wall painted a warm mustard or gold featuring coordinating framed prints. A comfortable love seat gave the room a cozy feel. There was ample lighting and all the lamps worked (not so at the Econo Lodge next door)! The bathroom was clean, although it could have used a more careful vacuuming, and the shower just right. Included in the room were a small refrigerator and microwave, plus a TV, of course. The A/C worked perfectly. Best of all, the bed was made with crisp, clean sheets and a snugly comforter, plus four fluffy pillows to sink my head into.

The free breakfast choices consisted of: do-it-yourself waffles, two different cereals, scrambled eggs (real, not powdered), sausage links, a selection of breads, grits, juices, fruit and good coffee. I'd definitely stay there again and, at $67/night (AAA discount), would say it's a GREAT value!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Needed a place to rest while on a roadtrip, and ended up in Quality Inn Alachua. Got a room in building 2, away from the main building, and found it a bit run down. Quite alright for a night on the road, but would not want to stay longer.

Front desk was friendly and welcoming, a nice complimentary breakfast with some hot items (scrambled eggs and sausages). Overall value was ok. Once again you kind of get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
north geogia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here previously 4 years ago on a combined business/pleasure trip. The rooms have been renovated and updated since then. Much nicer than before. This is an older property but is in good shape. Nice grounds, bbq pit and large pool. Breakfast area is spacious, looks like it was built as restaurant originally. Location is easy access to 1-75, with Gainesvile a quick trip. Only downside was they were understaffed on a busy football weekend, but this was a minor factor however the limited staff was somewhat harried. I will continue to stay here when possible.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the backside. Much quieter and better scenery.
Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

After reading some of the comments, I was a little afraid of what I was getting myself into. Due to the fact that I was attending a football game in nearby Gainesville I had to take what I could get. Staff was friendly and the rooms clean. The TVs, while old, worked well and the breakfast was better than most "Choice Hotels" breakfasts. The room rate was inflated (slightly) due to the football game but that was to be expected. I would stay here again.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for the Florida game. Initially, we checked in and the printer had no ink so they printed our receipt and made us sign a basically blank sheet of paper. Upon entering the room, it looked like it had not been vacuumed in months and was filthy. There was food on the floor near the nightstand and the duvet cover was full of stains. The tub was also full of hair and had not been cleaned either. On the second night of the stay we returned to realize the towels that we had thrown on the bathroom floor were hung up on the towel rack and obviously were still wet. This is disgusting on many levels especially given the state of the floors in this room. We called for new towels, the desk attendant said 10 minutes. An hour later I went to the desk and got towels and complained about the towel situation, the excuse we are busy this weekend. Finally, after checking out and leaving my wife realized they charged us for stuff we did not use ie safe fees even though we never used it. Should I have checked closer sure but with all the taxes government puts on rooms I just thought it was another tax. Stay far away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Alachua hotels

weeki wachee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I spent one night on a road trip in August. It was easy to find right off I.75 and our room was very clean and comfortable. We did not find the road noise bothersome as the air conditioner unit pretty much covered it. The continental breakfast was good (fruit, egg, sausage, cereal, bagels, etc. Great value! We will stay again if passing that way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alachua
BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand
#9 of 27 in Lake City
3.5 of 5 stars 387 reviews
Baymont Inn and Suites Gainesville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gainesville

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!