“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Mohegan Lake, New York
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed for one night and was very pleased. Room was clean, and large enough with the sofa bed. 2 nice sized TVs in the living and bedroom. Breakfast was not up to other hotel chain standards such as country inn and suites, but it good enough. Marriotts cost more than other chains, but you never have to worry about room cleanliness, Have stayed many times at Marriotts, and they always do a good job.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Patterson, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was just a very nice, very comfortable hotel to stay in. I guess because it's a Residence Inn, it doesn't feel like a hotel at all. Honestly, I could live there and be very happy! The room had a really nice, full kitchen, the sitting area was very comfortable and our bed was comfortable as well. All of the furniture was clean, updated and very comfortable. We had a large, flat screen TV too. We all had a great night's sleep there because you didn't feel like you were in a hotel- it felt like home. The man at the front desk was extremely pleasant and helpful. My only complaint was the free breakfast. Trust me, you should skip it. But with a beautiful, full kitchen you could just make yourself a good meal. The hotel is in a pretty, little town with some eating options or you could drive to West Hartford (like a five or ten minute drive) and get all you could want there. The hotel is convenient to the University of Hartford and MUCH BETTER than the alternative which would be staying in Hartford. We did that the first time we went there and will never do it again. The ride from the University to the hotel is up a pretty big hill and a bit scary in the dark, but it is definitely worth it. One last thing, there isn't an indoor pool or hot tub probably because it is less a hotel, and more an extended stay place (although short term stays are fine).

Room Tip: The hotel is quite big and you may have to walk pretty far to get to the lobby. Ask for a room clos...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sharon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and two children stayed at the Residence Inn in Hartford for one night as we were in town for a wedding.

I found the hotel to be very clean. The beds were comfortable, the room spacious with a mini kitchen, free wifi etc. They served breakfast each morning. The breakfast is ok, the bagels were stale, I just don't know why a bagel bakery just doesn't do a daily delivery, if you are going to offer a limited breakfast, don't serve stale/frozen bagels. It's the small things that make the difference.

Other than that everything was very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
nelson_adame, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford/Avon, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for comments. We are very pleased that your overall stay was good. I apologize for the freshness and taste of our bagels served on our full Breakfast Buffet. I will send your comments to the Residence Inn by Marriott Standards board to inform them of your experience.
Thanks for helping us improve.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here twice, the first time in February. Our tv did not work. We had another tv in bedroom but it was kind of annoying as we watch different things. We stopped here for night on way to vineyard and there was a little problem. I went to bed and it just didn't feel clean. I realized there was no sheet under comforter and turned on light to see if there was sheet as I know they don't always wash comforters between guests. On closer inspection, I found dried blood by pillow and hair. I called front desk and I got 2 sheets to put over dirty sheet and between me and comforter. The best part was our room was next to elevator and starting at 6 am, it sounded like an airplane taking off. Horrible. Never experienced anything like that. It wasn't worth complaining about as I know I will never stay there again. Breakfast was not good.

• Stayed June 2013
nelson_adame, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford/Avon, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I wish to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered both times you stayed with us. Thank you for your feedback; it will help us to improve. My hotel team takes great pride in a job well done, and your experiences definitely require us to retrain and rethink how we deliver our services. We hope that you continue to stay at Marriott brand hotels, and please consider this my personal invitation to stay with us again and prove that we can make your next visit a pleasant experience.
Costa Mesa, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I visit this part of CT each year, but this was my first stay at this Residence Inn. For me, the sleep quality was fantastic, the staff was friendly and helpful, but other aspects of the property brought the overall rating down one notch from an "excellent." The price I saw on-line was very reasonable, but I had so many points saved up that I decided to use them for a free stay. [Disclosure: I am a Marriott Silver Elite member]

The best things:
(1) In Connecticut I visit people in the Greater Hartford area and also farther west to Barkhamsted/New Hartford, so this is an ideal "middle ground" for travel in either direction on Route 44. However, if you're traveling on business and have to drive to Hartford frequently, I would recommend something closer to the city.
(2) My room was a top floor suite, far from the elevators, and turned out to be very quiet. The bed was comfortable, and I slept way longer than I thought was possible.
(3) The suite configuration is laid out very well, with a door separating the bedroom from the rest of the room, and a TV in both sitting area and bedroom.
(4) Free internet in the business center (1st floor). I don't own a laptop or smart phone, so the free internet enables me to check email.
(5) Plenty of surface lot parking, all around the facility.

These things were less than ideal:
(a) Even though the rooms appeared to be spacious, there weren't many areas available to place baggage for easy access. One of those fold-out racks would have been nice. I never fully unpack when I travel, so I just plopped my suitcase on the sofa but had to move it aside when I watched TV. Interestingly, I was given an "accessible" suite, so there may have been some elevated surface area missing in order to make wheelchair conveyance easier (not sure).
(b) The counter in the bathroom was really small; not nearly enough room to place my shaver, toothbrush, etc.
(c) Too much noise from both the fridge and the A/C compressor made it necessary to close both the bedroom door and also the door to the bathroom before sleeping.
(d) The fitness center was clean and uncrowded but in need of an expansion. There were a few cardio machines but virtually NOTHING in the way of weight training equipment. Even a rack of dumbbells would have been welcome.
(e) I appreciate the free breakfast, but the food was mediocre, and there wasn't much variety.

Room Tip: * Get a room as far from the elevator as possible. * Rooms with windows facing the east will get bl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kent, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Inexpensive, clean, adequate breakfast with hot and cold dishes, coffee available all day, small emergency supplies available, walking distance to a pleasant restaurant/tavern, tranquil, spacious, gracious and helpful staff. No frills or charm, but good decent lodging when that is needed.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor and away from the tennis courts
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Residence Inn Avon for two nights on business. The property itself is very well maintained, safe and staffed. Check-in and the lobby were nice and fast. The rooms are standard Residence Inn style with a kitchen, separate living room and bedroom and overall very comfortable.

The only shortcoming were the beds which were not the normal ones in most Residence Inn's I have stayed at, they seem old and sagging and I didn't sleep as well as I normally do at other Marriott Properties. The hot water takes awhile to get going in the morning, you need to let the shower run a bit before it becomes warm.

Aside from those issues, it is not a bad location although if I were in the area again I would probably select someplace different.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Avon Old Farms Hotel
Farmington Inn
#6 of 7 in Farmington
4.0 of 5 stars 169 reviews
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington

Been to Residence Inn Hartford/Avon? Share your experiences!