“Worth it just for the Sunday Brunch” 5 of 5 stars

Avon Old Farms Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   279 Avon Mountain Road, Avon, CT 06001   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Avon
New York
“Worth it just for the Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and I headed to this hotel for a weekend getaway. I had my doubts but they were soon put away as soon as we walked into the room and saw the delicious old four poster king sized bed. We kept the shade up and the windows open because it was snowing and we fell asleep watching the snow. The next day we just visited around the town and drove up to the ski resort. Saturday night, we visited a restaurant and bar that had a live band and then came back to the hotel. On Sunday we had reservations for the brunch in their beautiful restaurant that has giant bay windows that look up the hill.

This brunch is fantastic. It's VERY resonably priced and we were treated like royalty. The buffet was delicious and the complimentary mimosa's were flowing freely. We decided that it was worth the two hour drive from New York city just for the Brunch.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

Hotel was easy to get to from the airport because of the free hotel van service. We also got a ride to a restaurant for dinner. I had breakfast in the Seasons which was very good. I was working but felt like i was on a mini vacation. Hotel looked nice and i liked the flat panel tv in the room. I will stay again when I go back in February.

• Liked — Service/Location
  • Disliked — Room Service not 24 hours
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Avon Old Farms hotel the night of a friend's wedding that was being held across the street. I was really excited to stay here since it is an independent hotel and I thought it would be romantic. The decor was extremely dated, the TV was very small and I was surprised that it even had remote control capabilities. There was a large window in the room that we could not find a shade for, there were only sheer white panels. It wasn't until the next morning that I realized the shade was a pull down but it was stored up above the window out of site. It does have a nice lobby and bar but I was disappointed in the room itself.

• Liked — Bar
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Haven, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I stayed here recently for a wedding that was in the area. Right off the bat from checking in, I was put off by the attitute of the staff. We were checked in by the Front Desk Supervisor. I got the impression that checking in guests was a huge inconvience for the staff.
Got to the room, which on the plus side AC was working so it was nice and cool. Everything in the room needs updating. TV was definitely older than me. Overall kind of dingy and dated. The shower was really unpleasant. A 10 minute shower resulted in standing in water over my ankles backed up in the tub. Also, the shower head was either broken or just cheap, with rogue sprays shooting in evey direction. My husband got sprayed just by standing in the bathroom doorway while I was showering.
Lastly, we had to contact the front desk to find out about the shuttle to the wedding. The "supervisor" once again. He said he asked around and knew nothing of the shuttle, odd seeing as the hotel was providing the shuttle. We did make it on the shuttle no thanks to some of the staff here. Would not stay here again.

• Liked — AC works
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Providence, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding and was given one of the rooms in the detached building across the parking lot from the lobby. This building is set up like a motel, i.e. you access the rooms directly from the outside. The stairs were not in good condition and while the room was OK, the A/C did not work. We stopped by the front desk on our way to the reception and let them know, and they assured us it would be fixed shortly.

When we returned to the room at 11:30pm the room was still hot and the A/C was not functioning. Only when I called the front desk again did they offer to move us to another room, and only when we voiced our displeasure did they offer to take $20 off our rate. By checkout they had taken off $40, but the damage was done by then.

If you stay here, request one of the rooms in the main building. They seem to be a little nicer, although not necessarily newer. Both the TV and the alarm clock looked to be circa 1970.

• Liked — the bar in the restaurant is decent
  • Disliked — old rooms, appliances, fixtures, etc.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

It is a nice place, but it's a little expensive for what you get (paid around $160). We stayed in a queen standard and the room was very nice, and clean. The wifi worked well. The Season's restaurant was fantastic! Service was great and the food was far above average.
As other's have said, it is located at a busy intersection, but the surrounding area is very pretty. Plus lots of shops.

• Liked — location, food, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — a little procey
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oro Valley, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

I live in this town and have always wondered about this place so after a fight with the hubby I decided to give it a try. I was offered a "luxury " room at $199 and said I didn't need anything like that so I was given a room in the "economy" (their words not mine) section at $169, the "economy" section is a converted motel w/ outside entrances to the rooms. Had a sofa, queen bed and freebies like a couple bottles of water and a sewing kit but the place is kinda run down. I went to take a shower in a run down bathroom that screams for updating w/ terrible shower head and the drain was soooooooo slow the water was to my knees by the time I was done and when I told them about it they said "oh okay" no apology-nothing. You also hear traffic but I guess you'd expect that because this is a major, major intersection. I travel a lot so at $169 I expect better, in my own back yard I really wanted more but now I know to send folks to the Marriott.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs updating, bathroom condition
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!