“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Chapman, Maine, United States
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed on a quick business trip, the room was clean and roomy and the bed very comfortable. I was disappointed that the restaurant was not open but they offered us the full menu in the bar. Our bartender/waitress was friendly and courteous and went out of her way to make us happy. Our meal was fresh and homemade and simply delightful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at the AOF Hotel for a total of 28 days in 2 different rooms. I received prompt and thorough room cleanings and the staff was great, especially Shean. He held over some items that I left the first visit and had them for me when I returned...that was very impressive, I considered them lost forever. GREAT SERVICE!!! I highly recommend staying here for a quaint, well managed and distinct experience with a class a restaurant and bar too!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Exeter, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

As we live in different cities, my beau and I decided to meet in the middle, which brought us to the Avon. Our stay was lovely, and the staff were cheerful and helpful. We were pleasantly surprised by the town, as we strolled and shopped in the afternoon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while invited to do a keynote address at the Univ. of Connecticut (West Hartford), and do not recommend it at all. The mattress was very hard although it had a down (feathers) topper. The pillows are also down, which I am allergic to. I ended up having to purchase a Temperpedic pillow (over $100.00), which I forgot and although I called not far from when I checked-out, they report not finding it.

I had a very bad sleep due to the loud noise of the air conditioner. I ended up having to turn it off, and open the windows, but could still hear the one from the above and below (I was on the 2nd floor). To top it off, at 4:00 a.m. a number of huge delivery trucks parked in front of my window and made it impossible for me to continue sleeping due to the sound of the left on motor and backing up alarms. The staff was very standoffish, especially in terms of how they handled the "pillow issue" (which was not handled at all). I'm still waiting for their phone call.

Room Tip: Consider going elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank MigdaR
Franklin Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

my name in Nikul Patel and i was travelled last month for a week and it was a great stay at avon old farm hotel. one guy whose name is SHEAN, he helped me a lot for the rate and change the room. I am so satisfied for his help and whole my stay for a week. only the problem is internet connection in the room but shean gave me a other room for that.

2 Thank nikulpatel_2005
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

In the immediate area, to say there is a scarcity of places to stay would be an understatement. However, you will thankful that you will not be "stuck" with the choice of Avon Old Farms Hotel. It's not new, it's not modern, it's not "boutique" and it's not trendy. It is charming, warm and inviting. It is exactly what you would expect to find in a rural area of Connecticut.
There are two parts to the hotel- the separate "motel" section and the main hotel building (which is where we stayed.) If you stay in hotels with any sort of frequency, you may find some aspects of the place a little "dated" but that does not mean dingy or off-putting. The fan in the bathroom is old and noisy. To heat the bathroom, there is a timer dial. The a/c unit in the room has manual dials and no external thermostat. There are some modern amenities such as electronic key cards for the room and some hidden electrical outlets and data ports in the desk "drawer". There is also free Wi-Fi which wasn't too bad. There is no refrigerator or mini-bar in the room but there are two complimentary bottles of water. The room was clean and the four-poster canopy bed was comfortable. There are no blackout curtains but there is a window shade and sheer curtains. It was fine at night but if you want to sleep during the day, it will allow quite a bit of light in (then again, I guess it depends on which side of the building the room faces.) There was also no safe in the room. The breakfast in their restaurant on Sunday was a little tricky- regular breakfast is served until 9 only and then an all-you-can-eat brunch buffet starts at 10. We opted for the latter (since we got there at 9:30 and they were no longer serving.) Although the brunch had many choices and the food was good enough, it is a little overpriced and I "do brunch" all the time in NY City.
My only other little peeve was that the room doors almost slam close which of course makes them noisy. The other plus for the hotel is that they do have available pet rooms for a small additional fee so we were able to bring our cat to visit with her "grandparents". Just make sure you ask about the pet room when you are first looking to book.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify if you want a room in the main building or one of their motel rooms (right acr...
1 Thank stenro
Johnston, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I just finished our fourth stay at the AOFH. I have had nothing but the best experiences here. AOFH is our personal home away from and we gist for our little getaways as often as possible.

Each and every staff member greets you with a smile and a kind word. The Deluxe King Rooms are so comfortable, in fact Ive enjoyed every room we've had, including the "budget " annex.

The pool area is great, the Pub food is first rate and Seasons Restaurant is off the scales good.

The surrounding towns of Avon and Farmington are lovely indeed.

I cant wait for my next visit...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe King!
2 Thank Fred W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Simsbury Inn
Residence Inn Hartford/Avon
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Hartford Marriott Downtown

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!