“Great Hotel, Great Tap Room.” 5 of 5 stars

Avon Old Farms Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   279 Avon Mountain Road, Avon, CT 06001   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Avon
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great Hotel, Great Tap Room.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed in the Avon Old Farm Hotel in June 2013. i found the facilities excellent, spacious and highly comfortable. The front desk staff, Nancy and Shawn (particularly good at remembering my name and agin my voice on the phone) were welcoming and knowledgable, including directions and travel time back to Bradley Airport upon my departure. Ammenites like pastries and coffee in the lobby during my check out were wonderful. Something missing in other venues and hotels. The room was at the end of the hall and thus very quiet, spacious and comfortable. I highly recommend the Tap Room. The meatloaf on the dinner menu was wonderful. The bartender Josh was curtious and readily available throughout my evening in the Tap Room. I enjoyed the company of other diners at the bar so much it felt like my earlier days in New England, welcoming, warm and sincere.

Room Tip: rooms at the end of the hall, on the second floor near the pool were particularly quiet, off the bea...

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Positive: good-sized rooms, easy parking, friendly staff, nice pool, free bottled water every day, large windows that opened.
Negative:
-- Two of our rooms were on the even-numbered side on the first floor of the "Executive" wing. They had serious ventilation/air circulation problems. Even with the air conditioning running for hours, the rooms still felt humid and stuffy. I tried everything -- running the AC continually, opening the windows to get some air circulation during the evening, and running the fan constantly. Granted, it was hot and humid in CT while we were there, but a room across the hall on the odd-numbered side felt better.
-- The room on the odd-numbered side had terrible wi-fi service. Wi-fi service in the even-numbered rooms was fine.
-- The rooms need blackout curtains that cover the entire window. The windows are a sort of palladian style, with an arched section at the top. The shades don't cover the arched section at all, so light streams in as soon as the sun rises. The sheers do little to keep out the light in the early morning.
-- Breakfast consists only of small danishes, apples, and oranges.

Room Tip: As noted above, we had air circulation/humidity problems with our rooms on the even-numbered side on...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed here several times for business and as long as your NOT a business traveler who may need to send or receive emails and DO NOT stay in the "Annex" it's ok. The Internet is either sporadic or non existent. Especially in the annex. This is a group of smaller rooms across from the lobby. These rooms also have a musty dank smell to them. Not pleasant.

It is a nice hotel but it could be better especially for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Foster City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We spent 5 nights in an "Executive King" in the back section of the hotel. The room was great. But the service is why I am writing this review. The entire desk staff was very helpful all week long. The housekeeping staff was very flexible and helpful as well. The restaurant staff was very friendly and welcoming. We even had to ask the maintenance guy to retrieve a child's straw we lost in the ice machine, and he was fantastic as well.

Overall, it's the people and their view of customer service which can make or break any hotel stay. We were traveling with a 20-month-old child, which adds a whole set of challenges. The entire staff took excellent care of us and made our stay memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Was in Hartford on business and stayed at the Avon Old Farms ... it was a pleasant experience. I stayed in the Annex building behind the main hotel. The room was comfortable and spacious and had a lovely view of the woods behind the property and a quaint little gazebo. Being from Florida, I was pleased to be there when the leaves were changing ... something we don't see here. The Annex is close to a busy road but the traffic is hidden by the trees and it was surprisingly quiet. Slept well as the bed was extremely comfortable.

Complimentary pastries, fruit and coffee in the morning ... cocktails at the end of the day in The Tap Room and a delicious dinner in Seasons restaurant. Food was excellent, service was top notch and very accommodating. We were in a bit of a hurry to make a meeting after lunch and we arrived in the dining room right as they were opening. No hassle, no fuss and we made it to our meeting on time after a lunch of delicious soup and a hearty sandwich. Tables by the window offer a view of the yard and woods outside - very nice.

Hope to have the occasion to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My niece's evening wedding was held here and it went off without a hitch. There were 100 attendees and everything, from the outdoor ceremony to the brunch the following morning was perfect. The dinner was exceptional, the service top-notch and very friendly. The Towpath room (where we mingled after the ceremony and had brunch the next morning) was set up beautifully and was very comfortable even though the evening was very humid. The public bar, where some people continued onto after the reception was over, was comfortable and classy. I agree with the other reviews about the rooms needing a bit of attention to fix some minor issues that aren't expensive to do. The small attention to some details would make a big difference in my overall impression. We chose a room with a four posted bed and it was very elegant. Some of the other furniture is a bit big for the size of the room, but it was still comfortable. Although I didn't get a chance to get to the pool, some other family members did and they really enjoyed it. The pool area and water were clean. It was set back near the woods so the surroundings with the other landscape made it look very relaxing and refreshing. We enjoyed our visit and would definitely plan another visit when in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back face the woods.
Greer, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night on business. I forgive most things but when on checkout nobody asks me how my stay was I pretty much write off coming back. If someone had asked I would have reported that my room had no desk or chair of any kind, was registering about 80 degrees when I got in the room, and that the AC was so loud as to make normal sleep impossible. Don't be fooled by the quaint New England atmosphere in the lobby; this is a decidedly below average travel experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent experience at our hotel. I apologize that no one at the desk inquired about your stay with us as this is our normal procedure to ask upon check-out. I would be interested in speaking with you further to discuss in more deatil your stay. Without guest feedback, it is impossible to improve. If you have a chance, please give me a call at 860-677-1651 or send over an e-mail with your contact information and I would be happy to contact you. My e-mail is GM@AvonOldFarmsHotel.com. Thanks again for brining your concerns to my attention.

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!