“Summer Wedding” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Summer Wedding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My niece's evening wedding was held here and it went off without a hitch. There were 100 attendees and everything, from the outdoor ceremony to the brunch the following morning was perfect. The dinner was exceptional, the service top-notch and very friendly. The Towpath room (where we mingled after the ceremony and had brunch the next morning) was set up beautifully and was very comfortable even though the evening was very humid. The public bar, where some people continued onto after the reception was over, was comfortable and classy. I agree with the other reviews about the rooms needing a bit of attention to fix some minor issues that aren't expensive to do. The small attention to some details would make a big difference in my overall impression. We chose a room with a four posted bed and it was very elegant. Some of the other furniture is a bit big for the size of the room, but it was still comfortable. Although I didn't get a chance to get to the pool, some other family members did and they really enjoyed it. The pool area and water were clean. It was set back near the woods so the surroundings with the other landscape made it look very relaxing and refreshing. We enjoyed our visit and would definitely plan another visit when in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back face the woods.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Greer, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night on business. I forgive most things but when on checkout nobody asks me how my stay was I pretty much write off coming back. If someone had asked I would have reported that my room had no desk or chair of any kind, was registering about 80 degrees when I got in the room, and that the AC was so loud as to make normal sleep impossible. Don't be fooled by the quaint New England atmosphere in the lobby; this is a decidedly below average travel experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent experience at our hotel. I apologize that no one at the desk inquired about your stay with us as this is our normal procedure to ask upon check-out. I would be interested in speaking with you further to discuss in more deatil your stay. Without guest feedback, it is impossible to improve. If you have a chance, please give me a call at 860-677-1651 or send over an e-mail with your contact information and I would be happy to contact you. My e-mail is GM@AvonOldFarmsHotel.com. Thanks again for brining your concerns to my attention.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Only stayed one night here but found everything to be in order and our stay was enjoyable. Nice room with canopied king bed in main hotel. Hotel prices in the Hartford area fall in 2 categories- inexpensive and dumpy or decent and pricey. The $139 for our room was a good value considering the marketplace. Outdoor pool which I didn't get a chance to use. Also had an excercise room with dry sauna which I did. Being a sauna fan, this is a nice touch that most places do not offer. Continental breakfast is served in the lobby, and although basic with coffee and pastries, was upscale in taste. Staff was professional. Facility was old school, which I do not have a problem with. Have stayed at hotels all over the planet and found this one to be more than adequate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Fort Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a "Classic Connecticut Hotel" reminiscent of a time when class, courteousness, old world feel and comfort were king...great rooms with great overall accommodations.
I stay here once a year and am always greeted by Nan (Nancy) at the front desk.. She does everything possible to give you a positive experience..
Highly recommend this place..

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently stayed at Avon Old Farms Hotel for the second time. Although the location and the outward appearance is lovely, something is missing. The public rooms are beautiful but our room was showing a lot of wear and tear. In particular, the window frame was bent and the window couldn't be closed completely. The gym was a total mess: no towels, busted machines, no sanitary wipes. The noisy party on the lawn at 1 am didn't help. On the other hand, the staff was very pleasant and gracious. It looks skimping on upkeep, which is a shame, given the location. If you're going to Hartford and you don't want to stay downtown, this is a pleasant, but not great. option.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back facing the mountain if you want quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillsborough, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on a business trip. Rooms are decent size and clean; all staff members are very nice and helpful; dinner in the restaurant was excellent; bar is a fun place to hang out at the end of the day. I would look to stay here again on business or on a romantic getaway. .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mason, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

After the hustle and bustle of NY, coming to Avon Old Farms was like a breath of fresh air... I had not seen previous reviews or pictures of the rooms before my arrival.

The community around it is very wooded and quaint with beautiful "New England-style" homes, an old stone church. Upon arriving, you see a red brick two-story "motel-type" structure. (We were staying only one night, so I wasn't too concerned.) I was greeted warmly and given a key to our 2nd floor room. (In the age of "credit card" room keys, I was caught off guard by the key with the holes... hadn't seen those in awhile. Made me nostalgic! The young boy who was with us loved it -- wanted to keep his as a souvenir!)

While no elevator is a disadvantage, there was a lovely gentleman who kindly took my bags for me. Once you are in your second floor room, you are on the same floor as the pub, the restaurant and the beautiful grounds. (You also can check in and then drive your car up to the second floor of one section of the hotel -- avoiding the stairs altogether!)

The room (#128 -- not 228) was charming. It had a canopy bed, a TV, desk. Simple and elegant. The bathroom was also very simple, put appointed. This is not the Ritz, more like the home of your most beloved grandmother who can't wait for you to come visit and wants you to enjoy your stay. I was very comfortable here and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for the room alone. Please note that there are no in-room movies, but there is free Wi-fi. There are also plenty of grounds to explore.

Everything was clean (even the hallway chair rail molding!).

Having no access to a car, we had our meals at the restaurant. Delicious!!! The staff was extremely personable and kind. The meals we had for dinner, breakfast and lunch were wonderful, fresh and flavorful!!! There were beautiful windows that opened up to a wooded terrace made you feel like you were deep in the woods.

The hotel is older, but it has character and old-fashioned charm -- not to mention wonderful service and food.

Stay here. I would again!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor near the restaurant in the main building. While the main desk is on the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!