“nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oro Valley, Arizona
“nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

I live in this town and have always wondered about this place so after a fight with the hubby I decided to give it a try. I was offered a "luxury " room at $199 and said I didn't need anything like that so I was given a room in the "economy" (their words not mine) section at $169, the "economy" section is a converted motel w/ outside entrances to the rooms. Had a sofa, queen bed and freebies like a couple bottles of water and a sewing kit but the place is kinda run down. I went to take a shower in a run down bathroom that screams for updating w/ terrible shower head and the drain was soooooooo slow the water was to my knees by the time I was done and when I told them about it they said "oh okay" no apology-nothing. You also hear traffic but I guess you'd expect that because this is a major, major intersection. I travel a lot so at $169 I expect better, in my own back yard I really wanted more but now I know to send folks to the Marriott.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs updating, bathroom condition
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Beautiful Hotel. Lobby is small but very tastefully done. Stayed on second floor of the hotel. Hallways are wide and well lit. Rooms are a delight. HUGE four poster bed with down mattress cover and duvet. Bottled water, crystal ice bucket and fresh flowers in th eroom were a very nice touch. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Rich, the shuttle driver was a nice welcoming committee at the airport. Very informed about his property and the surrounding area. Conference rooms are bright and airy. Catered food was very good with several choices offered at each service. Grounds were immaculate.

My only suggestion would be to enlarge to the Front Desk area. This can be done while still maintaining the look of a Inn.

Overall I would defintely return and even consider the property for a leisure visit.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
traveler from the mid-atlantic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

We were in town for a party acress the street at the Avon Old Farms Inn, so we stayed overnight at the Avon Old Farms Hotel. We booked online through hotels.com.

The hotel is actually a hotel and motel. Which was not clear on the hotels.com website or the actual hotels website. Our room was in the motel section and it was very worn. The steps leading to our room were cracked concrete, the bathroom was tiny and the rug was worn down. I also would never have booked the room if I knew it had a motel entrance, I don't feel safe with the outside door. Plus, we heard truck traffic noise all night.

Even with the discount pricing we paid almost $200 for a room that was not worth it.

The actual hotel seemed nice though, and the resturant was very good (although, the food at the Avon Old Farms Inn across the street is much better).

I would not stay here again. There are plenty of other hotels in the area to choose from!

• Liked — Location, resturant
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

I really enjoyed this hotel. It was comfortable and they had everything in the room for you. Not many hotels supply Qtips, cotton balls and a sewing kit and this really stood out as going the extra mile to me. Very pleasant staff as well.

• Liked — The extras in the room.
  • Disliked — Wish they had tylenol in the vending machine or at front desk.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

Stayed one night in a king room. I had a small issue at check-in when
they tried to give me a room with double beds instead of the king I'd
reserved. When I stood my ground, the desk clerk swiftly and cheerfully found me a lovely king room with a four-poster bed. My room was big, ultra-clean, very quiet and very pretty with that New England charm one hopes for in a town like Avon.

The restaurant in the hotel served an excellent dinner and breakfast.
The wait staff were efficient, warm and very accommodating. The restaurant has large windows overlooking a pretty little stream. We saw white-tail deer just outside the windows while eating dinner there.

I was actually sad to check out of this hotel and look forward to staying there on my next trip to the region.

• Liked — Ultra-comfortable four-poster bed
  • Disliked — Having to argue to get the king room I reserved.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North of Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

I would highly recommend you book and executive room. These rooms are very comfortable with down comforters and pillow top mattresses. Although the beds are very comfortable the rooms are starting to show there wear (cracked marble sinks, poor shower heads, yellowing tub, old switches, wall markings, etc... The common areas of the hotel is very nice and well kept along with a great curb appeal. I think this hotel is very well run and the staff is very personable. You will like to stay here.

• Liked — Comfy beds and great public space
  • Disliked — Guest rooms are showing thier age
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for an executive room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Simsbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

This hotel is nothing special to write home about, well, in my opinion at least.

The hotel is actually 2 separate buildings. We had a room in the upper hotel, which is accessed through its own lobby and not the main lobby. Building is out of the way and quiet. There were 5 people in the party and got a room with 2 double beds.

The room was incredibly small. It was run down with stains on the carpet and NO ROOM to walk around the room. It was similar to the size that you would see in NYC. Beds were not comfortable and the bathroom was in desperate need of updating.

We did not eat in the restaurant or get room service so I can not comment on that. I would try the Simsbury Inn instead, even though owned by the same company, it is a little more updated with bigger rooms.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — the tiny room
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!