“Very nice.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Avon
Philadelphia suburbs
“Very nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed in what is considered the Annex on the first floor. I happen to like the "motel" style, it makes it much more convenient when the kids inevitably forget something in the car. The room was clean and the furnishings old-fashioned but in a charming way. The beds were very comfy, nicely made up with feather beds and smooth sheets. What it needed badly was better lighting; it was impossible to read. The air conditioner was a window unit, but worked adequately, albeit a bit loudly. The bathroom had upscale toiletries, even my kids (boys!) commented on how nice they smelled. The shower pressure was excellent. The shower fan was loud, my little one was afraid of it at first but it came on with the light, no choice but to have it on. We wished we could have used the pool, it looked lovely, but Mother Nature didn't cooperate. The room had everything we needed (iron, hair dryer, extra towels). For those things we needed, it is only a quick drive to several shops and restaurants. Also, we had the dog with us and there are convenient places to walk her around the parking areas and the office bldg. next door. We took advantage of the complimentary coffee, teas and cocoa, fruit, and the continental breakfast. All in all, I was very satisfied, especially at the Priceline rate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
CHOC-GM, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we are glad your family enjoyed the stay, and wish you could have used the outdoor pool. We will review additional changes that may be made to help future guests with lighting. We hope you are able to stay again in the future.

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We enjoyed our one night here at Avon Old Farms. The hotel feels old, but in a luxurious opulent way that was very charming. The room was nice and cool after a hot day and the king bed was heavenly. There was even an iPhone charger/alarm clock which was a nice modern touch. The shower was not that great for water pressure, but the soap and shampoo were very nice. The quick continental breakfast was perfect for us as we were hitting the road early so a muffin and coffee was perfect. We also stopped in the main restaurant for dessert and coffee and that was a nice treat as well. Overall, this hotel had lots of charm and was a great choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main hotel, which was lovely. Not the best view though.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We are glad you were able to enjoy your recent stay and look forward to you coming back in the future if you return to the area.
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We booked a room at Avon Old Farms Hotel for the weekend when we came up to the area for a wedding. When we booked, the receptionist told us that there were no rooms available in the main hotel but there were rooms remaining in the "annex." We were told that these rooms were less expensive and that the only difference is that there were no flat screen tvs in the annex. No big deal, so we booked the room. When we arrived to check in and were pointed in the direction of our room, we were a little concerned. We had read some reviews that said the annex had some issues, so we tried to stay positive, but even from the outside the annex looked like a cheap motel. Inside the room was even worse. It reeked of mildew, it was dark and cramped, there were stains all over the rug and the couch, and the bed and mattress were extremely old. Not what I would expect when spending $150 per night. Luckily we were able to transfer over to the main hotel the second night of our stay, and the difference was like night and day. The main hotel is gorgeous! Brightly lit, clean, high ceilings, spacious rooms - everything I would expect from a hotel like AOF. The kicker was that our new, incredibly nice room cost only $20 more than the room at the annex, which was completely ridiculous. I would recommend staying at the Avon Old Farms hotel but ONLY if you are able to book a room in the main hotel. DO NOT stay in the annex, it is a total rip off, not to mention gross.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room in the main hotel. Do not stay in the annex.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for telling us of your past experience at the Hotel. It seems as though the first night fell below your expectations as did the room. I thank you for taking the time to let us know of the troubles and we will begin to work on improving the areas of your room that were less than our guests' expectations as well as aiding our future guests with better room descriptions. I am glad you were able to experience our other accomodation in the deluxe section of the hotel which were more enjoyable. Thank you again.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

This is more like a motel than a hotel. Not sure who could possibly view this place as romantic or luxurious. I was met by an incredibly brusque and frankly rude and brash front office manager who made me fearful for the stay. My room was a drive up the road but be warned there are alot of rooms that are right on the very busy 44 route. This is not a hotel as their website suggests that is set back in beautiful countryside-the buildings are right on the main route! My room was fine but nothing special at all. The bathroom was tiny and full of hairs from a previous resident. The inclusion of a larger laundry basket which I kept stubbing my toe on as I used the basin when there was really no room for it was strange. The bathroom also had a very noisy fan which gave no option to switch off-it didnt help at all when i showered so it was pointless. The biggest problem of my stay was the hallway AC unit which sounded like a combination of sneakers in the washer or a steel band. I was 6 doors down from it and could hear it clearly over my tv. This meant a supposedly quiet hotel was louder than being in the heart of Manhattan. I slept very badly as a result. This looked like a motel from the outside-all doors on outside landings with car parking outside. Maybe its ok as a conference venue? If someone brought me here for a romantic weekend I would dump them. Could not wait to get out of there-exhausted.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CHOC-GM, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
We thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay. I would like to apologize on the issues that made us not perform to our standards. We continue to work towards pleasing every guest. We highly value the feedback of our guests and will use it to make future stays better.
If you come to the area again I hope you will be willing to give us a chance to see us at our best. Please call and ask for the General Manager, and I would be pleased to assist you on your future accomodations personally.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I'm doing ongoing work in Hartford for (what else) an insurance company. Used to traveling to NYC, so I've been staying downtown - which is a sad landscape of deserted buildings and no life. So, I've been reaching out to surrounding areas to see what they are like.

This is like staying at that country hotel where one of your friends got married a while ago. Spacious rooms, quiet, good restaurant. Less than 15 min to downtown Hartford. Worth it if you need a change of pace.

If you go behind Drexel furniture two doors down, there is a trail that goes along the river for a little over a mile for a nice little running path.

Beware, The restaurant (Ferme / Farm) was not fully open on Monday night, but the bar was serving a partial menu.

What this area really needs, though is a (decent) hotel in West Hartford! Please!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are pleased that we were able to offer you a different hotel experience while in the Hartford area. When you return to the area I hope you will choose us again.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

I am not one who sleeps well when away from home. However, the peace and tranquility along with the feather bed I slept on made this a very comfortable stay. I didn't dine at the restaurant on site, but I heard from another patron that they were very pleased with their meal. The rooms are a nice size. The furniture is tastefully chosen and comfortable. I am not sure if we had neighbors, but I heard nothing from any of the surrounding rooms. In the morning, 3 of us took a shower and there was enough hot water to go around. All in all - we had a wonderful experience. It was nice to get away from the cookie cutter hotels and stay in a place with character!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Vestal, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I was able to get this hotel on Priceline's Name Your Own Price for $75/night. It was worth much more than that. It's accessible to many shops and restaurants and the service was wonderful. We had lunch at the little restaurant which has a creative and delicious selection on the menu.

The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on and the curtained canopy made it very romantic. I have none of the complaints other reviewers have mentioned and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!