“Decent event space, but too expensive.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Red Lion Hotel Denver Southeast to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Denver Southeast
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3185 S. Vaughn Way, Aurora, CO 80014   |
Kansas City, Missouri
“Decent event space, but too expensive.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at this Red Lion for a swing dance event. Very convenient for participants that we only had an elevator ride to our workshops and competitions, and the rooms were decent, but I had two very major complaints: the food and the maid service.
The hotel dining service was a joke. My first run in with their service was at breakfast. They neglected to inform us either online of in person that their mediocre breakfast was not included in the price of the room. This is awful news to hear when you are starving and learn you have to form up an additional $11 for your first meal. In addition to that, the lunch and dinner options were extremely over priced for medium quality. I'm not about to spend nearly $30 for a meal when I could walk under the freeway to any of the establishments for food at a fraction of the price. Service from kitchen to table was mind blowlingly slow. Whenever I did have to get a quick bite, I attempted something easy: a half chicken cesar salad. I got it 25 minutes later, with no chicken, and I had to either wait another ten minutes later to get the chicken I ordered or walk to my competition and pay the extra $2 for chicken I didn't eat. Another example of the awful service: I waited over an hour for a meal only to be handed a plate that was being held for someone else and told to "Here, eat this sir" before the server walked off. Not only was this service rude (as the food was cold) but I am undoubtedly a woman! This is truly insulting to not only myself but any other customer who has been treated this way. That was my absolute last straw with the staff and from that point on I never ate at the hotel again.
I don't think the maids ever came to the room to change the sheets, towels, or trash in the 4 nights I stayed. My bed was always in the same state that I left it in, my towels untouched, and my used tissues were still in the trash can. However, there was always a new box when I came back when I went to bed. I would have preferred clean sheets or new towels, but I guess keeping me with a hefty supply of tissues for the sinus infection I brought with me was priority number one.
Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with my stay at Red Lion Denver. I hope this dance event finds a new venue next year, I really don't want to waste the loads of money I spent here again. Just awful.

• Stayed March 2013
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Denver Southeast, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for providing this valuable feedback so that we can address these areas with our staff. There is no reason, nor is it acceptable, to have a poorly run restaurant. We apologize tremendously for the experiences you encountered during your stay and we hope you will provide us with the opportunity to rectify these issues so that we can have you back and provide you with the superior service deserved!
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had stayed at this location about 4 years ago on business and it was fine...everything worked-pleasant staff-etc...so I decided to give it another go. I got a great deal for 2 nights on hotwire.com. $49 a night plus tax. An amazing deal...but then I hit the reviews to get an idea as to what to expect and they didn't sound too good. Was I in for a terrible stay? Not at all...followed the signs and provided directions straight to the driveway. Check-in was swift, courteous and I was in my room in under 7 mins. The room and hotel common areas all looked great...clean and modern...no torn old carpets on my floor...the 5th. Everything worked - toilet, door key (the arrow on the card should point down in the slot), floor's vending and ice machine...etc.. TV was a nice sized flat screen with DirectTV channels...not talking a 55 inch HD, 3D or such but completely satisfying. Even allowed me to check out late to get a few extra hours of rest. So, thank you very much Red Lion and staff for a great stay! I would recommend this Red Lion to anyone and will happily stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 528...had no troubles whatsoever. King sized sleep number mattress, great interact...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HeathB798, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Denver Southeast, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We would like to thank you for your review and we are happy that our staff took such EXCELLENT care of you during your time in Denver. So glad you were able to enjoy all our great amenities such as HD TV's with Direct TV. We value you as our guest, and look forward having you stay with us again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I booked my reservation a month in advance. When i checked into the hotel the woman at the front desk told me my reservation didn't exist in their system. After giving her my confirmation number, she told me that the reservation i made had been in early february and i was a "no show." After explaining that i wouldn't have made a reservation in february because my interview was in march, the woman continued to argue with me. Instead of apologizing for something that was clearly a mistake on their part, she just kept saying "well maam, all this says is that you were a no show." Also, they had charged 77 dollars to my credit card for their mistake and i had to ask someone else to get it credited back to my account. The woman was really rude and unaccomodating. The other employees were nice but it wasn't a great experience. Also, when i tried to order room service the phone lines kept getting crossed with other service lines. It took a while for me to order food. It was very frustrating. Their shuttle service is unreliable. My room was nice and big but i definitely wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Denver Southeast, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. I do apologize that you felt the front desk did not provide you with friendly and welcoming service. We strive to provide all our guests with the high quality of service that we maintain throughout all of our hotels.
We will most definitely take this feedback and share it with our staff. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.
Kind Regards
Hackettstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Good location. Breakfast was a good value. Convention happen to be there but did not interfere with our stay. Just needed a place close to family we were visiting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
La Veta, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was there for a convention & got the room at a very good convention price otherwise I would have stayed somewhere else. The rooms are nice, the restaurant is not worth the effort and the lounge/bar is okay. The free shuttle to/from the airport is a very nice feature. Because of the hotels location it is a bit difficult to get to. There really is nothing that makes the hotel stand out from the rest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was at this hotel for a small convention. The rooms were nice, especially for the price. The restaurant, however, is pretty awful. For this convention, they had a quick-pickup room where you could get simple fast foor, like hot dogs, hot pretzels, etc. All were dry and overcooked to the point of being inedible. Their breakfast buffet is reasonably priced, but rather mediocre. Even the frozen concentrate orange juice tasted watered down. The restaurant staff doesn't listen, and can't fulfill requests because of it. They need new restaurant management.

My advice: stay here, but don't even think about eating here.

Room Tip: Join Red Lion's frequent stay club before you reserve to get an upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'd like to begin by stating that this stay was not what 95% of you are ever going to encounter. I'll try to sort out the importance of that fact.

My company had contracted out RLH for lodging and food in support of nearby training facilities.

Staff: Reasonable nothing special one way or the other

Rooms: They're beat down, or at least the wing I stayed in was, there was some renovation work in the Hotel, not sure what they were working on.

Bed: That thin kinda Motel 6 set up. It was clean don't get me wrong, but It wasn't one of those rooms you walk in and pump your fist while viewing.

Bar: Pretty good actually. Shockingly so given the general state of the facility. I don't drink and if you're not from the elevation I recommend you watch your step :)

Shuttle service: There was a shuttle which took people to various locations in town, this was pretty critical you don't want to be stuck here with nothing to do for a week.

Internet: Fine

Food: This is where my experience veers. If you're in the unenviable position of taking your meals at RLH then you have my sympathy. Most people won't be doing this. It's fun to see the same frozen chicken strips day after in day, in what can only be described as 'modestly different configurations'. They had some decent dessert options some of the days, but in general the food was something to be endured.

Location: It's a strip mall in the middle of the interstate. There ain't much. Some nature hikes and such nearby if you like outdoors, but nothing else. FUN FACT: If you've seen those informmericals for Colorado Technical University, it's next door. I'm not much of a fan of the for profit education complex, but that didn't affect this review.

Bottom Line: Don't take mandatory training here if they're going to provide food. I'd stay here if I was driving through. The hotel doesn't really interest me outside of that. It's not romantic, it's not really close to anything, but there's nothing it won't handle as a mattress run.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kris A, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel Denver Southeast, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to critique our property regarding your visit last May. I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food and beverage that was arranged for your training class during your visit. We try to accommodate a wide variety of tastes and dietary needs and with groups that can sometimes be a challenge.

You will be happy to know that since last May, we have upgraded our menu options and we are anticipating a renovation which will update the entire restaurant and lobby area. Guestrooms will also be given a more modern look and feel.

I am glad that you enjoyed the lounge and were able to utilize the local shuttle service. Next time you come back, we hope to show you how much we have improved in both our product and our service.

Been to Red Lion Hotel Denver Southeast? Share your experiences!