“Nice Aloft, Just Don't Do Late Checkout” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$10 Breakfast Credit
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Aurora
Los Angeles, California
“Nice Aloft, Just Don't Do Late Checkout”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

OVERVIEW OF BRAND
Aloft was founded in 2005 as “a vision of W Hotels” and is a part of the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) family of hotels. Although you will find some crossover with the W brand (e.g., Bliss bathroom products and the bar is named “w–xyz”), don’t expect what you will find at a W Hotel…but room rates are markedly cheaper than W. The vibe that I get when I stay at any Aloft is that of a hip, college residence-hall with commons area for food/drinks and games (e.g., there’s a pool table and usually board games on the coffee tables) and compact rooms that efficiently use the limited space.

The brand is very consistent—once you’ve been to one Aloft, you’ve pretty much been to them all. Most variation between properties seems to be in the amount of gym equipment available, the upkeep of properties, freebies you get in the room, and the range/quality of the bar food.

ALOFT–DIA
Aloft–DIA opened in December 2008, and I have stayed here three times. It is located 10 miles from the airport, and there is a shuttle that picks up from the airport every 30 minutes (on the hour and half-hour). To find the shuttle, exit the baggage claim area via Door 506 or 511 and walk straight-ahead to the “Hotel Island.” The shuttle is shared with two Marriott properties and a Hilton property as they share the same parking lot (and I think are all owned by the same person).

THE ROOM
This is the same as any other Aloft. You should find an LG flat-screen TV (42”, LCD, 720p), free Internet, two free bottles of water, a coffee maker with 1 regular/1 decaf pod, a safe, a well-hidden iron and ironing board (look behind the bed’s “headboard”), and a fridge under the sink. Although there is an ice bucket in the room, there are no ice machines on the floors. You can only get a bag of ice in the pantry by the front desk, so you may want to grab a bag at check-in. The room will have “Tried+Blue” Bliss products, including a bar of soap and a small tube of body lotion by the sink; and shampoo-conditioner and body wash in built-in dispensers in the shower stall. I actually like the “Tried+Blue” smell; but sadly, unlike W’s “Lemon+Sage” Bliss products, you cannot buy “Tried+Blue” via Blissworld.com.

FOOD
There is no room service. The bar menu at this Aloft is limited—from cold appetizers (e.g., chips and salsa) to simple American junk food (e.g., pizza and chicken fingers)—and the bartender seems to double as cook. Prices for the bar food range up to $12.00, and the hours of service are 5PM until midnight. The re:fuel pantry is open 24-hours a day and you can get pre-made sandwiches and desserts. If you prefer something better, you can go to the adjacent hotels or the full-service restaurants within a block of the hotel.

GYM AND POOL
The gym is limited for those who prefer weight training: There are two basic benches, a rack of dumbbells ranging up to 50 lbs., and 1 universal cable machine. The cardio equipment is in very good shape, consisting to 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, and 2 elliptical machines. There is an indoor pool across the hallway from the gym.

SPG SPECIFIC
No club lounge and no suites. Gold & Platinum Members should get a “Sip on Us” card for 1 free “hot sip of choice…each day of your stay.” Internet is free for everyone, which is typically a Platinum-only benefit; I wasn’t offered anything to compensate for that lack of benefit. Platinum Members can get 250 bonus Starpoints (not 500) for staying at Aloft. One major frustration I encountered is that I was granted late checkout (4PM) as a Platinum Member; however, facilities repeatedly knocked on my door even though I directly told them that I had late checkout. The worse was someone who heavily banged on the door three times while I was showering around 2PM.

OVERALL RATING
The Aloft-DIA is an acceptable stay for those not needing any niceties and who want to rack up SPG Starpoints or Stay Credits. The atmosphere is “hip” and the bar/front desk staff is friendly. The food and gym are lacking, but I would have been okay with that. Ultimately it is the unwelcome feeling I repeatedly got from facilities for checking-out late that led to my rating of three stars.

Room Tip: There are no suites and no
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I love the modern decor, the flat screen tv mounted where you can see it just right from the bed, and they recycle! There is even a recycle "can" next to the trash can, I love that. The bed was comfortable, and I liked the breakfast/snack bar. I could take my food to the room and eat. I'll definitely look for aLoft again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Pembroke Pines, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Aloft is a high-priced, lower-end "W" brand of airport hotel by Starwood. And totally below Starwood expectations in every regard. Already not a fan of the "W" brand, I found this Aloft to be claustrophobic in the small, crowded spaces, including the lobby/pool room/internet room/breakfast room/lounge/front desk kiosk (geesh, already right?) the long narrow dark hallways, crowded room spaces and tiny elevators. This hotel is minimalist to the max, with the toilet in the tiny shower. Stale & fresh snacks are sold for a fee and expect to haul your own luggage. The shuttle driver was surly in both directions. Look for a Sheraton or Marriott for 1/3 less money - I will next time.

Room Tip: There is no best room here :(
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
aloftdiana, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Denver International Airport, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Islandhopper1,

Thank you for your comments, I apologize that you did not enjoy your experience at the aloft at Denver International Airport. We offer an alternative to a typical hotel, and obviously our accommodations were not what you were looking for. However tastes differ, we should impress everyone on our customer service and fresh food is what we promise and should deliver. I apologize for both of those failing to meet standards, that is something we appreciate the criticism and make sure to identify and improve upon. As a Starwood property representative, I am glad that you trust our brand and hope that you stay loyal to us. Perhaps you someday will be back in Denver and would come back and see us and be impressed in all we have to offer.
Thanks again and best regards,
Matthew Slavsky
Guest Relations
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I thought I'd give this hotel a try as I had an early flight out of DIA and I wanted a quick trip to the airport in the morning (it's about a 20 minute drive). W Hotels are generally pretty good, so I thought Aloft would be a fun place to stay. It was definitely a nice option to have and I'm glad I made the choice. Although the rooms were a little on the small side, they were comfortable and I enjoyed the modern decor and amenities (like Bliss bath products). It has the feel of a hip, boutique hotel, but the prices didn't reflect that at all! As a matter of fact, it was less than some of the other hotels in the area. A big reason for the decent price was because there wasn't room service or a restaurant on the premises. Instead, there's a little help-yourself deli that offered fresh sandwiches and snacks. At first I wasn't sure about that, but it ultimately saved me quite a bit of money and the food was decent. If you didn't want to grab something there, you could walk outside to Applebees, Outback or Uno Pizzeria. The bathroom only had a shower, so if you wanted to take a bath, you were out of luck. I'm not a big bath person so I didn't mind. The room had a very comfortable bed with good linens, a big flat screen TV, and high-speed internet. I especially enjoyed the fitness room which was immaculate and had all the equipment I wanted. The bar seemed great although I didn't spend any time there, and I liked the unique quirky touches in the lobby like the circular front desk and pool table nearby. If I'm stuck in Denver again I'll be sure to come back to this hotel. It's truly a nice break from the standard airport hotel fare.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
aloftdiana, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Denver International Airport, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Thank you very much for your review, we pride ourselves as a new twist in travel, you were quite detail and very favorable and we appreciate that. As you experienced you will likely find that some of the standards you may expect when arriving at a hotel such as a bathtub or a restaurant are not available, however you will likely enjoy our alternatives and something you will and should expect, great service.
Thanks again and we hope to see you here on your next trip to Denver
Atlanta, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Trendy. Different. Maybe even Chic. Likely appeals to a younger set. Clever, modern room design. Clean and everything you need or want in an airport motel. Bed was comfortable and supportive. Price is attractive. Very attentive staff. Seems well run. Shuttle worked fine. Meeting rooms on the small side. Good exercise facility.
Only one complaint. I was on the second floor and I could absolutely hear the music playing in the lobby/bar area and I wanted to go to bed at 10 PM. Fortunately I had ear plugs and once those were in no problem -except hearing the alarm in the AM. I did not complain about the noise so I don't know if they would have turned off the music or not.

Room Tip: If quiet is desired get room above the 2nd Flr
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
aloftdiana, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Denver International Airport, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for your review, our concept is different and trendy, a relaxing alternative to standard hotels, however we pride ourselves as a business traveler-friendly hotel. Our guests comfort comes first, we will change and or discontinue any feature if it comes at the expense of a pleasant stay for our guests. In your case it worked out and we appreciate that you looked to fix the situation, but our guests should never hesitate in informing us of difficulties. Look forward to seeing you at the aloft, next time in Denver
Plymouth,MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Returning from our Alaska trip from Vancouver, we were rerouted to Denver due to a flight delay. United gave us a voucher for this hotel, as our connecting flight would not leave until the morning. When the shuttle dropped us off, there was no one at the desk. After a fairly long wait a very apologetic clerk appeared and promptly checked us in. I was pleasantly shocked by the size and decorating of the room. There was plenty of space for storage of our belongings, a safe, lots of outlets to recharge our many devices and Bliss toiletry products. I would definitely stay at an Aloft Inn again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, it is very kind and fair of you to wait to hold judgement until after seeing the whole experience, sometimes we have to have any and all of our employees attend to a number of different issues that could take the employee away from the desk for a short time.
Thank you for recognizing the employee's attempt to expidite your wait to check in and help to show you the great expereince that the aloft has to offer.
Stuck halfway home, you had no choice but to spend the night in Denver, thanks for making the most of it here at the aloft
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed here for one night prior to an early morning flight and utilized their "park, sleep and fly" option. I utilized the hotel gym which was decent. The bar was hopping and fun. It appeared that locals as well as travelers were there enjoying the DJ. Nice outdoor courtyard. Rooms were clean. I actually liked the aloft concept better than the W.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response, you expereinced what we aim for our guests, a exciting an fun atmosphere, we strive to keep our services and amenities such as our exercise equipment at the highest standards, our WXYZ bar is always a fun and happening place. Tuesday nights we have a DJ or live artists, we find our guests enjoy both and we are creating a new hip place for the locals to expereince, thanks again for your review see you on your next trip to Denver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
Denver International Airport
HYATT house Denver Airport

Been to aloft Denver International Airport? Share your experiences!