“returning to the Jerome after 5 years” 5 of 5 stars

5th Night Free
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“returning to the Jerome after 5 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We were in town for Aspen Gay Ski Week and booked last fall through jetsetter with a few friends. From now on I will book directly with the hotel, the jetsetter offer was a rip off and the room rate much lower than what we paid to jetsetter.

We had heard that the hotel had changed management (from Rock Rose to Auberge Resort) and that their former general manager was back so we were excited to come back.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything was perfect. Here is a list of some of the highlights

- friendly but professional staff
- room and hotel very clean
- food and drinks well priced
- $18 continental breakfast buffet with 2 eggs any style, coffee, juice
- centrally located
- courtesy car to take us to certain locations, always showed up and even texted me once while on location
- our room was a junior suite, very large, comfortable bed, very soft linen, molton brown products
- free wired and wireless wifi
- outdoor hot tub and heated pool
- ski concierge

We look forward to coming back soon.

Room Tip: We had room 444, a very large and quiet junior suite that could also connect with a private foyer to...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

If you ever wake up from a wonderful "White Christmas" Dream, I am sure you were indeed at the service of the staff of Hotel Jerome. From the moment they greet you from your airport service, to check in and the initial walk through amazing structure of the historic hotel, we were in awe. The amenities, location, room service were expressive. Given an opportunity, I'd be back in a heat should I crave for another Winter Funderland!

Room Tip: Check in early so you can an opportunity to view rooms that are available.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear Valued Hotel Jerome Guest,

I was delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us in December and that we made it a memorable experience for you. It was my pleasure to share your review and comments with all our staff.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Jerome in the near future. Should you crave another "Winter Funderland", please do not hesitate to call us! It would be my pleasure to have you as our guest once again.

Kind Regards,
Anthony DiLucia
General Manager at Hotel Jerome,
Manhattan, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have been to many hotels on vacation but i rank my experience at The Hotel Jerome as one of my favorites by far...From the moment i was picked up at The Aspen Airport to the very moment i was driven back 9 days later i am and will always be impressed by the friendliness, courtesy and professionalism of all i came into contact with at the hotel...My room was spacious, comfortable and the food was excellent...The famous "Jbar" at The Jerome was a great place to meet people who were in town during the holidays of Christmas/New Year....i look forward to returning perhaps this spring/summer 2012...I recommend this hotel VERY highly!!
Rudy DiLieto
Manhattan, NYC

Room Tip: Upgrade to a junior suite if possible
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear Mr. DiLieto,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Hotel Jerome on TripAdvisor. I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Jerome over the Holidays. I very much appreciate your comments and it was a pleasure to share your review with all our staff.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back this Spring/ Summer, it would be our pleasure to have you back as our guest. Thank you again for your comments.

Kind Regards,
Anthony DiLucia
General Manager, Hotel Jerome
washington, dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed here years ago on our honeymoon, during Thanksgiving, and had a wonderful time. This hotel really embodies the spirit of Colorado Casual. The staff consistently went above and beyond the call of duty. The food was exceptional and presentation was beautiful. Our room was very spacious, immaculate and well-appointed and had postcard-worthy views. Location is right in the heart of Aspen: no more than a 2-3 block walk to where you would want to be. Easy trip to the local airport, even in the snow. I cannot imagine staying anyplace else in Aspen.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Aspen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I don’t have any photographs but I do have this lasting image in my mind. It is of being carried over a threshold into a Victorian room, the golden threads of my wedding dress trailing behind me.

My husband and I were spending our wedding night at the historic Hotel Jerome. As a gift the General Manager, Tony DiLucia, left for us chocolate covered strawberries and a bucket of chilled champagne.

Thirteen years later, in the midst of packing and looking for a new home, we returned for our anniversary and for a weekend of total intimacy.

I checked in before him and was handed a nice sturdy key that felt good and solid in my hand. I welcomed the departure from the electronic key cards, just one of the many small pleasures of staying at a hotel where the past is preserved.

There are 94 guest rooms in the hotel and the rooms are the largest in Aspen, standard rooms are 525 sq feet. Our 1200 sq foot one bedroom suite was beyond roomy with light filtering into the living room and a breathtaking view of Aspen Mountain outside the many windows. The bathroom had an oversized bathtub, a separate walk-in shower and a double-basin marble vanity. Other amenities included private-label beds, down comforters, feather pillows, high-speed Internet access and VCR/DVD players.

Holding on to the hand carved balustrade I descended the stairs to meet up with Susie Stetson, yes that is her real name, for a tour of the AAA Four Diamond award-winning historic landmark hotel.

Jerome B. Wheeler, then co-owner of Macy’s department store, had the three-story brick hotel built in the heart of town in 1889 to rival The Ritz in Paris.

The hotel also housed the local post office and became the hub of Aspen as it was the first building west of the Mississippi with electricity and running water. It also boasted the first running elevator, so slow that it took 15 to 20 minutes to get to the second floor.

In 1985 investors Dick Butera and Jim McManus bought the hotel for $6 million and put $27 million into a restoration. Structural engineers rebuilt its bones while masons sandblasted the face to liven up the deep red brick and sandstone.

Today the hotel still stands as one of the great hotels of the American West. Upon first entering the lobby one is greeted by a friendly receptionist standing behind the original post office desk. The slots for letters still remain.

Walking around the lobby we admired the cozy East Lake Gothic Victorian style with original light fixtures, blue tiles made out of cobalt and gold and wallpaper hand screened to represent the original Victorian paper. An oak grandfather clock still stands holding the ashes of an Austrian Pastry Chef who loved the Jerome so much he wanted to be buried there.

After the tour, I waited for my husband at the hotel’s J-Bar. A local’s favorite it has a beautifully crafted masculine bar and a tin ceiling and one can easily imagine the likes of Hunter S Thompson, Glenn Frey, John Wayne, Gary Cooper and before that the Tenth Mountain Division soldiers and silver minors kicking back a neat glass of hard alcohol or an “Aspen Crud”, an ice cream drink laced with Bourban served during prohibition.

In the morning we went down to the Garden Terrace dining room and gobbled down a delicious breakfast of eggs and roasted potatoes with Classical music playing in the background.

The Hotel Jerome is still one of my favorites and I highly recommend it for “If you haven’t been to the Jerome you haven’t been to Aspen.”

Room Tip: Book a room with a view of Aspen Mountain.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We had a great weekend in Aspen in October. The Hotel Jerome was a great place to stay, convenient to everything with really luxurious rooms and a nice, old-time feel. The pool and hot-tub on a brisk fall day were a nice addition, too. Breakfast was great, as was food at the J-Bar restaurant. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kentfield, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I had a business meeting near Aspen, requiring an overnight there. Hotel Jerome was fantastic. It looks it's age from the outside - clean, simple, functional, period architecture. , but this veneer The old west theme continues through the common areas into their enormous rooms. Beneath the veneer of the decor I found every modern convenience from a gigantic flat HD TV to free wifi, openable windows and effective, adjustable climate controls. Free bottles of water in the mini bar. It's dry at 7900 ft elevation, so you'll need the water.

The bed, pillows very comfortable. All linens, bath towels excellent. Soaps and bath liquids, too.

Their J-bar restaurant is famed for its hamburger, so i ordered one, customized perfectly to my preference and delivered promptly by room service. Exactly as advertised, it was great., as was my granola and yogurt Breakfast downstairs. Coffee was light brown water. Oh well. I went out to a local side street coffee shop for the real thing. That was worth the effort, too.

Free personal pickup at the airport. Very congenial, cheerful staff at every point of contact.
At breakfast were two other sets of guests. The servers knew them by name and engaged in a social banter with each, catching up on family members, adventures, and health. Clearly the guests were regulars, and the staff has been there for years. They obviously pay attention to their guests, myself included. I haven't seen this kind of staff awareness and attentiveness since a visit to the Oriental in Bangkok in1981.

Room Tip: Suites in the rear "tower" - only 4 floors - are really big.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!