“Clean, convenient, friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Texas
“Clean, convenient, friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I and our two boys stayed here for a few nights in July because of positive Tripadvisor reviews. Our room was clean and bright and large enough with a nice balcony. Bed was average. We especially appreciated the convenient location and amenities like free underground parking and full breakfast. I was in the room when housekeepers came and was impressed with how thoroughly they cleaned.

Our boys used the murphy bed and there is a heavy sofa placed in front which is a pain to move out of the way, especially with limited space. Other than that, we had no issues.

We would return. Their rates are super reasonable for ski season, too.

Room Tip: Loved the fourth floor next to elevator. Noise wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

There's nothing pretentious about this place, and it was considerably farther away from the Aspen Music Festival than we realized. But the rooms were clean, the beds good, the breakfasts adequate, and the staff friendly and helpful. And even though the location wasn't ideal for our main purposes, we enjoyed exploring the immediate neighborhoods and enjoyed the isolation from the more commercial parts of town.

Room Tip: I would ask not to be lodged in a room overlooking the hotel entrance.
Rochester, Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

You wouid not want to stay here if you wanted posh, luxury accommodations. You would not stay here if you needed a trendy bar, sleek restaurant and bar. This is a comfortable, traditional, family-run ski lodge - totally unpretentious. I had a junior suite - it had a sofa, microwave, mini fridge, was spacious and had a small balcony. The furniture is a bit dated but everything is clean. Parking is free. Breakfast is provided - a buffet plus one hot dish which varied each day (granola/banana pancakes, eggs benedict) brought out fresh from the kitchen. I found the staff friendly - the ladies in the breakfast room were absolutely charming. The location was perfect - we attended the food and wine classic so we could walk everywhere - it's in the heart of Aspen. The cost is well below what you would pay elsewhere. In previous years I've stayed in sleek hotels at twice the price with smaller rooms. I'm so glad I stayed at the Moutain Chalet - I will certainly return. I even hesitated to write a review as I want to make sure I get a room next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We loved staying at the Mountain Chalet. This hotel is well run. We enjoyed the amenities which included a large hot tub, a pool heated to a perfect temperature, free coffee, tea, cookies, lemonade, newspapers and brochures. It is very convenient and within walking distance to many places. Free parking which is at a premium in Aspen. And lastly the room comes with a fabulous hot breakfast. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. The room is large with everything you need.

This is a charming comfortable older hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed for 8 nights and loved it! I was delightfully surprised when I arrived. My room was spotless, breakfast was great, and the staff was dynamite! The breakfast staff was so kind and everyone went out of their way to make sure that they took care of you. My room was a nice size and was always cleaned beautifully. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean and updated. I am already planning my next trip! Awesome location! I'm a fan and can't wait to bring friends!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This joint is old school. Some of the rooms do not have air conditioning which i found odd but the front desk assured me that "Aspen Airconditioning" would be all that i needed. He was right. However we got the last room available so it was two single beds and the windows opened up to a busy street that had busses and all sorts of garbage trucks rumbling past all night long. not great. However the pool and the free breakfast quickly made the noise issue not a deal breaker. Full on breakfast. we had pancakes with blueberries and bacon and eggs. fresh fruit and juices were splendid. the pool stays open late and is heated. It was perfect for the cool weather at night. The history is really cool about this place too. owned and operated by the same family for ever.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

When my husband and I decided to go to Aspen to attend the Music Festival as well doing some fly fishing, hiking and relaxing, I was happy when I found the Mountain Chalet---mainly because of its central location (across from the shuttle bus station and Wagner Park) and its NOT exorbitant prices. There was also secure parking and an included breakfast. Well, we got much more!

At breakfast the first morning we sat down at one of the communal tables and were soon joined by a couple who had been coming to the Mountain Chalet for 35 years. Yes, 35 years! They and their children had spent almost every Christmas at the Mountain Chalet, and this had become their home away from home. During the course of our stay, we found many other guests with similar stories. Once you find the Mountain Chalet Aspen, it becomes part of your blood. Maybe that's because it's still owned and operated by the same family since it was built in 1954. Maybe because the family members are always around, mingling with the guests, learning their names, joining them for breakfast or the 4th of July BBQ. Maybe it's because of the homemade cookies (really good homemade cookies) that show up every afternoon like clockwork. Or the fresh coffee and lemonade that's always available. Or maybe it's the fabulous FREE breakfasts served each morning---none of this serve yourself cold eggs and pancakes here. We had eggs Benedict one day, banana pancakes the next, etc. All were delicious.

There are rooms to suit just about everyone's needs and budgets at the Mountain Chalet Aspen, from smaller rooms with no AC to deluxe air-conditioned rooms with balconies and minibars and refrigerators to small apartments. It you are looking for a deluxe, sterile 5 star resort, this is not your place. But if you want a place where you will be returning for 35 years, then sign up now. We already have made our reservations for next summer.

Room Tip: WE loved our balcony overlooking Wagner Park since we liked to watch to kids and the dogs and the im...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Chalet Aspen? Share your experiences!