“Room Large, Service Fine, nothing extraordinary” 4 of 5 stars

Molly Gibson Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 W. Main St., Aspen, CO 81611   |
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Durham, North Carolina
“Room Large, Service Fine, nothing extraordinary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

I stayed at the MG for 4 nights while attending a conference nearby. My room was 220, which is rather large with a skylight and fireplace. It faces mainstreet, but I did not have a problem with noise. The bathroom was old, but clean. Overall, i enjoyed my experience at MG and in Aspen. It was a 5 min walk to dining, 10 minutes to the gondola. The service was good, but not outstanding. They did not go above or beyond expected. Wireless internet worked in my room no problem, but they also have a computer in the main lobby. The pool was small but lovely flowers, however the spas looked dirty. I agree with the previous poster that breakfast could be improved. Pasties and english mufins seemed old. For summer, I have no objection to the rate, but winter prices double or triple. I would have a problem paying over $500/night for this experience.

• Liked — Open Room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Northridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I just stayed there 2 days ago, from 07/01/07 to 07/03/07, we booked this room over a month in advance because we wanted a pool side view/room. For some reason the Molly Gibson considers room #104 to be pool side (we were told later that because our flight didn't arrive until 10:40PM, as they were told when we would arrive, that our room, and because the 'desk' closes at 11:00PM, that we could not get the room we ordered as they overbooked, so since we were the last to arrive, we got the last room, they could/should have told us that when we booked it, because we would have stayed somewhere else). But, Hmm, that doesn't make sense to us since we paid the same price we were quoted a month before, a whopping $285.00 per night, also told full breakfast included). We were there a total of 36 hours, charged for two nights (because we got in at 11:10PM on Sunday), we were left with our keys and directions to the room with a view of the rock alley (for $285 a night). Not a pool view as we agreed and paid for.
O.K., we're tired. just wanted to go to bed. Once inside the room, it was blaring hot (over 100 degrees), we looked and looked for an airconditioner....a ha, there's one over the bed, but no knobs, directions or anything to turn it on....all while the sweat was literally dripping down our backs.
Left with our keys was a note (directions and where the 'breakfast' would be the next morning and some emergency phone numbers). The only one that made sense was 'security.' The poor guy (very nice) came to our room and had no idea himself how to turn on the air-conditioner.....45 minutes into our arrival, still sweating and worried about the night in this hothouse...the security guy, worried and sweating himself, called the hotel manager who came down from her sleep and said "oh, it's by remote control," then proceeded to open one of the drawers and found the controller and turned on our air conditioning. Yahoo...we could finally unpack and go to sleep.

Waking up early the next morning and starving...the note (and on-line booking) said 'breakfast'...we couldn't wait...breakfast means breakfast, right? After all they didn't say 'continental,' they said "Breakfast" and I have no idea what continent they would ever serve this kind of breakfast, coffee was great, however, there was 'cereal,' 4 or 5 day old pastries, 2 very brown bananas, 2 oranges and 4 green apples. Oh, yummy! This was not even close to a continental breakfast.
The month before we stayed at The Hotel Aspen, right across the street (literally), wow, now that's a breakfast! And by the way, about $100 per night cheaper.
I've since found out that Hotel Aspen has purchased the Molly Gibson, but it was obvious that they haven't taken 'control' as of our recent trip dates.
We went down to the Cafe Bakery (a block away) for a 'real' breakfast. I did tell the front office about the brown bananas, she was mortified, or so seemed to be, said she would make sure it was corrected, but funny thing is, the very next morning, those same two brown bananas (now looking a little more on the black side) were still there.

But that is not what we woke up to the next morning at 6:50A.M., the next morning (we're only there 36 hours Max, remember), we were woken up by a very loud banging noise from the alley, a neighbor, who has a house outside our bedroom window. It seems their 3 year old son likes to play the drums, whenever he feels like it too, their garage door was opened and the kid was playing nonstop...and he was no Buddy Rich. Even if he was, I wouldn't have liked it at 6:50AM. I went to the front office to ask 'why,' and they all came to our room, and looked out to the alley and were mortified at the sound (as were other Hotel guests, now coming out from their rooms), the front desk folks were very apologetic but said that our only recourse was to call the local police to report a disturbing the peace! (There's protecting your hotel guest for ya). We passed on that option.

I was awake now and headed to the 'breakfast, hoping for more fresh anything, you wouldn't believe it, of all those hotel guests (the entire hotel was booked full), not one went for those bananas from the day before, and those 2 bananas were now a much darker color. There was a croissant I tried, but after touching it (I couldn't possibly put it back after I touched it), it was so hard, then I tried to heat it up (to make it softer, more edible), but it came out with the texture of a football. We gave up and headed out for breakfast at the Cafe Bakery again. I am not advocating or advertising for the Cafe Bakery, it's just that it's so close.
At least it was a much needed break from the drummer boy.

The front office knew of all our problems for the 36 hours we were there and upon checkout discounted our room $50 total, $25 each night (oh boy). We spent more than that at breakfast (which we were promised at The Molly Gibson).

I must also mention the filthy bathroom floor, and the fact that the bedspread and pillow shams hadn't been washed in what seemed like more than a year. My suitcase was heavy (43lbs), so when I plopped it onto the bed to unpack, there was a major dust cloud that spurted into the air. We removed them to a safe corner for the duration of our stay.

We also brought phone chargers and laptops and hair dryers and stuff to plug in, but only one outlet worked in the entire room, the one by the closet, none worked in the bathroom, so we had to take turns with the one outlet that worked. And that air-conditioner I talked about earlier, it worked great, but had this constant clicking sound throughout the entire night...click, click, click, we had to sleep with the T.V. on to drown out the clicks. O.K., I sound OCD, but I'm not, I'm pretty easy going, but this was a nightmare from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.
The thing I liked best (looking for something positive here), is that the people who work there are all super friendly....just don't complain, because they give you that blank stare and sincere and humble apology, but will do nothing to rectify or help resolve your problem(s).

• Liked — Friendly people
  • Disliked — Filthy room and the rates for the room with a view of the alley
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Cloud, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

My friend Cheryl and I stayed here in late March. The lodge and the employees were fabulous! Someone was always offering to drive us anywhere we needed to go. The little sample and goodie bag left for us in our room had great food and personal care products that we used. The breakfast and happy hour food presentation each night were fabuous. We had such a relaxing time and enjoyed great views of the mountains. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Liked — spacious room, internet access, friendly & helpful staff, the breakfast & evening food presentation
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

Fabulous location and helpful management is what we experienced at the Molly Gibson Lodge. We enjoyed it so much , even though our luggage was 2 days late - we stayed an extra day....we're planning on going back in the Spring. Highly recommend late lunch at the Little Nell. And, Caribu Club service, dinner, atmosphere romantic and unforgetable! We took mountain photos in Snowmass and they were pricy but turned out the best photos of the trip. Aspen is fabulous for shopping and has such beauty!

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

We stayed at the Molly Gibson Lodge for 2 nights in early September 2006. The girl on the front desk on arrival was very helpful (and very very fit!), the room was large and excellent (we had a Fireplace room), and the hotel is in an excellent central location.

During the stay the staff could not have been more helpful, and the room could not have really been more pleasant. The bed was king sized and excellent and the location was quiet overnight.

The only possible criticism I could make is that the continental breakfast was very ordinary but the stay was so pleasant in other ways this was so minor

• Liked — Excellent location and room
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the Steak Pit and Jimmy's for excellent dinner
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

If there's any such thing as a value in Aspen, the Molly Gibson is it. The location is excellent as we comfortably walked to both the Aspen Music Festival Tent and downtown. Our room was clean, recently decorated and the staff was warm and welcoming. The hotel provides a free breakfast and the courtesy van is available for trips around town and the airport. In a town where private jets, $10 million vacation homes and beautiful people abound, the Molly Gibson is the real deal: location, comfort, service and value. I shall return!

• Stayed July 2006
Hartford CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2006

We spent a week and were thoroughly happy with our comfortable first floor room by the pool. The people at the lodge were happy to take us places in the van on request - my husband had his leg in a brace and could not ski. The large pool was warm and delightful; we did not try the small hot pools. Our room had a fireplace and the only disadvantage was that it was really too hot at night, but we were able to open the window and cool things down. Its location is very convenient...at the edge of the downtown, right at a ski bus stop. They serve an excellent buffet breakfast. It was just an all-around great experience.

• Stayed March 2006