“What Fun!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
New York
“What Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

Originally, we were not too impressed by our room - it was nice, but not over the top - and maybe not worth the money we were paying for it.... However, what it lacked in "pizazz" the staff made up for in service and congeniality. The manager of the hotel brought special towels out to us while we sat in the hot tub!

The continental breakfast is well above standard and definitely enough to fill you up before a long day of skiing. And after skiing, be sure to hit up the apres-ski bar and snacks. Where the bartender not only poured us wine and laid out a serious buffet of snacks and soup, but played a local band on the stereo and told us where to see them live that night!

I never wanted to leave!! I can't wait to go back next year!

• Liked — The service was absolutely amazing! And the location was witihin walking distance of town!
  • Disliked — I wish our room had a fireplace.... but that's about it!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Costa Mesa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

The Molly Gibson Lodge was very cute. It was on Main Street, on the outer edge of Aspen, but within walking distance to all the restaurants and shops. A free transportation van was available at the hotel to take you anywhere you wanted to go, provided you did not want to walk, and was available every morning to take us to the ski lifts, which was a 5 minute ride .

The Lodge offered a nice breakfast each morning as well as an après skiing venue each afternoon. It was a nice way of unwinding after a long day of skiing and enjoying the company of fellow visitors.

The room was neat and clean, and the staff was hospitable and friendly. There was a heated swimming pool that we used after skiing one day; a real treat. We would highly recommend this Lodge to anyone who wants an affordable place to stay with all the convenience of being close to town. This is a real bargain for such a nice place.

• Liked — Cozy feel of the Lodge
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
washington, dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

Luckily, we didn't have all of the same problems as the others. I was able to sweet talk the front desk person into giving us room 121, which I suppose is their "top" room. It had a huge jacuzzi tub just inside the door, in an odd triangularly shaped area, surrounded by mirrors but with really bad lights. We didn't try it. We did use the hot tub in the small patio area outside, which was actually quite nice and tranquil late at night, soaking under the aspens and pines. the room included two robes that we used to go out to the hot tub. Overall, the room had poor lighting, and I was surprised there was no coffee pot, but a DVD and flat screen TV. The bed was comfortable. The layout and other materials were a mishmash - marble, oak, burnt ciera tiles. The continental breakfast was unappealing but the coffee was decent. Being there on a Thursday in mid-September, I'm grateful that parking wasn't a problem. The room cost around $165 with taxes. I had never stayed in Aspen before, so didn't know where to go. I liked that this was close to downtown, had free wireless, and the hot tub. While the room was large, it wasn't particularly useful to a traveler with the lack of a coffee pot and the odd layout and poor lighting.

• Liked — hot tub, location
  • Disliked — a little pricey
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Wow, totally different experience from the previous poster who wrote about their experience in July. We too had to get to the "other building" thru the alley, which was not difficult and quite obvious. It's a very small property and easy to figure out after very little time exploring it. The entire grounds at Molly Gibson are quite lovely, vibrant colorful flowers everywhere, very well kept and manicured, beautiful pines & aspens on the property. The pool area is very lovely, and the pool is quite heated to a very comfortable temp. There are also 2 hot tubs in different locations from the pool. Our room was nice, although being a one bedroom apartment it was tucked in a corner with (probably) the worst views from it's windows, but one step out the door, and the view of the grounds and mountains in the background was spectacular. The breakfast food was quite fresh, fresh ripe fruit provided as well as hard boiled eggs, ham & cheese, yogurt and several choices of cereal, breads, pastries & bagels. Also plenty of drink options, tea, coffee, spiced cider, hot chocolate, juices & milk. More than adequate for an "included" continental breakfast.

The staff was also very friendly and helpful. I think a person's experience is largely affected by their attitude, and ours going in was good and friendly - mirroring our treatement from Molly Gibson's staff and our experience there.

Having traveled to Aspen 9 times now, we are quite familiar with the lack of parking in Aspen, and also understand that the closer a hotel is to the shopping/pedestrian mall the harder it is to find parking, and at night when everyone settles in to the hotels parking is also bad. We are used to having to drive around a bit to find parking. It's just part of the experience of traveling to Aspen. We've never "not" found a spot. Again, a good attitude going into this as well is everything.

We plan to stay again at Molly Gibson and would highly recommend it to friends and family!

• Liked — The landscaping, location, views around property, pool, cleanliness
  • Disliked — The view from room, 1-bed apt. a little croweded with furniture by time we brought in all of our luggage.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights. Arrived around 8 pm day on a Saturday and front desk folks not helpful. We were told when we booked that hotel had parking. Well, on Saturday, they don't. Was told to hunt for a place on the street as all of the hotel's 7 or so spaces were full.

Poor directions to the room "in their back building thru the alley". Simply, the staff did not appear to want to be bothered with helping a late and tired arrival. I saw the next day there was a place to pull up to unload luggage...but this was after hauling luggage a couple of blocks.

Arrived in room to incredibly hot room after hauling luggage. Odd room layout as airconditioner in the bathroom which is 4 steps down from bedroom. Air conditioner not on, ceiling fan not on. Even with air conditioner on, hard for cold air from bathroom to reach bedroom, so had to go out for a few hours until room could cool. Subsequent night had to cool bathroom to freezing to get bedroom cool.

Stopped by desk to get help with restaurants..."not sure when they closed", "not sure about parking". Basically a waste of time to ask.

Other than either apathetic or untrained staff, other negatives: no in room coffee, no in room safe, no security lock on door, carpets worn and stained, no easy to reach plugs for computers, cell phones, etc, breakfast frequently stocked with bad looking fruit

Positives: nice bed linens, nice towels, refrigerator in room

Room cost: $254.

I think there is better value in Aspen and will try elsewhere the next time.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff, air conditioning
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

I stayed at the MG for 4 nights while attending a conference nearby. My room was 220, which is rather large with a skylight and fireplace. It faces mainstreet, but I did not have a problem with noise. The bathroom was old, but clean. Overall, i enjoyed my experience at MG and in Aspen. It was a 5 min walk to dining, 10 minutes to the gondola. The service was good, but not outstanding. They did not go above or beyond expected. Wireless internet worked in my room no problem, but they also have a computer in the main lobby. The pool was small but lovely flowers, however the spas looked dirty. I agree with the previous poster that breakfast could be improved. Pasties and english mufins seemed old. For summer, I have no objection to the rate, but winter prices double or triple. I would have a problem paying over $500/night for this experience.

• Liked — Open Room
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I just stayed there 2 days ago, from 07/01/07 to 07/03/07, we booked this room over a month in advance because we wanted a pool side view/room. For some reason the Molly Gibson considers room #104 to be pool side (we were told later that because our flight didn't arrive until 10:40PM, as they were told when we would arrive, that our room, and because the 'desk' closes at 11:00PM, that we could not get the room we ordered as they overbooked, so since we were the last to arrive, we got the last room, they could/should have told us that when we booked it, because we would have stayed somewhere else). But, Hmm, that doesn't make sense to us since we paid the same price we were quoted a month before, a whopping $285.00 per night, also told full breakfast included). We were there a total of 36 hours, charged for two nights (because we got in at 11:10PM on Sunday), we were left with our keys and directions to the room with a view of the rock alley (for $285 a night). Not a pool view as we agreed and paid for.
O.K., we're tired. just wanted to go to bed. Once inside the room, it was blaring hot (over 100 degrees), we looked and looked for an airconditioner....a ha, there's one over the bed, but no knobs, directions or anything to turn it on....all while the sweat was literally dripping down our backs.
Left with our keys was a note (directions and where the 'breakfast' would be the next morning and some emergency phone numbers). The only one that made sense was 'security.' The poor guy (very nice) came to our room and had no idea himself how to turn on the air-conditioner.....45 minutes into our arrival, still sweating and worried about the night in this hothouse...the security guy, worried and sweating himself, called the hotel manager who came down from her sleep and said "oh, it's by remote control," then proceeded to open one of the drawers and found the controller and turned on our air conditioning. Yahoo...we could finally unpack and go to sleep.

Waking up early the next morning and starving...the note (and on-line booking) said 'breakfast'...we couldn't wait...breakfast means breakfast, right? After all they didn't say 'continental,' they said "Breakfast" and I have no idea what continent they would ever serve this kind of breakfast, coffee was great, however, there was 'cereal,' 4 or 5 day old pastries, 2 very brown bananas, 2 oranges and 4 green apples. Oh, yummy! This was not even close to a continental breakfast.
The month before we stayed at The Hotel Aspen, right across the street (literally), wow, now that's a breakfast! And by the way, about $100 per night cheaper.
I've since found out that Hotel Aspen has purchased the Molly Gibson, but it was obvious that they haven't taken 'control' as of our recent trip dates.
We went down to the Cafe Bakery (a block away) for a 'real' breakfast. I did tell the front office about the brown bananas, she was mortified, or so seemed to be, said she would make sure it was corrected, but funny thing is, the very next morning, those same two brown bananas (now looking a little more on the black side) were still there.

But that is not what we woke up to the next morning at 6:50A.M., the next morning (we're only there 36 hours Max, remember), we were woken up by a very loud banging noise from the alley, a neighbor, who has a house outside our bedroom window. It seems their 3 year old son likes to play the drums, whenever he feels like it too, their garage door was opened and the kid was playing nonstop...and he was no Buddy Rich. Even if he was, I wouldn't have liked it at 6:50AM. I went to the front office to ask 'why,' and they all came to our room, and looked out to the alley and were mortified at the sound (as were other Hotel guests, now coming out from their rooms), the front desk folks were very apologetic but said that our only recourse was to call the local police to report a disturbing the peace! (There's protecting your hotel guest for ya). We passed on that option.

I was awake now and headed to the 'breakfast, hoping for more fresh anything, you wouldn't believe it, of all those hotel guests (the entire hotel was booked full), not one went for those bananas from the day before, and those 2 bananas were now a much darker color. There was a croissant I tried, but after touching it (I couldn't possibly put it back after I touched it), it was so hard, then I tried to heat it up (to make it softer, more edible), but it came out with the texture of a football. We gave up and headed out for breakfast at the Cafe Bakery again. I am not advocating or advertising for the Cafe Bakery, it's just that it's so close.
At least it was a much needed break from the drummer boy.

The front office knew of all our problems for the 36 hours we were there and upon checkout discounted our room $50 total, $25 each night (oh boy). We spent more than that at breakfast (which we were promised at The Molly Gibson).

I must also mention the filthy bathroom floor, and the fact that the bedspread and pillow shams hadn't been washed in what seemed like more than a year. My suitcase was heavy (43lbs), so when I plopped it onto the bed to unpack, there was a major dust cloud that spurted into the air. We removed them to a safe corner for the duration of our stay.

We also brought phone chargers and laptops and hair dryers and stuff to plug in, but only one outlet worked in the entire room, the one by the closet, none worked in the bathroom, so we had to take turns with the one outlet that worked. And that air-conditioner I talked about earlier, it worked great, but had this constant clicking sound throughout the entire night...click, click, click, we had to sleep with the T.V. on to drown out the clicks. O.K., I sound OCD, but I'm not, I'm pretty easy going, but this was a nightmare from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.
The thing I liked best (looking for something positive here), is that the people who work there are all super friendly....just don't complain, because they give you that blank stare and sincere and humble apology, but will do nothing to rectify or help resolve your problem(s).

• Liked — Friendly people
  • Disliked — Filthy room and the rates for the room with a view of the alley
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Molly Gibson Lodge? Share your experiences!