“Everything about this hotel is outstanding.” 5 of 5 stars

COLORADO RESIDENT RATES!
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Everything about this hotel is outstanding.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a wonderful two nights. We were concerned about going to Aspen between fall beauty and the beginning of skiing, but The Little Nell would be worth visiting any time of the year. The staff makes everything good here. Rooms beautiful, spacious, modern, comfortable. Definitely a 5-star experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights at The Little Nell recently and loved our stay. Although it was most definitely off-season, the staff were attentive and very helpful in finding us open locations for dining (several restaurants close during the off-season) and places to explore on our first trip to Aspen. James on the Front Drive, Justin at the Front Desk and especially Aline at Concierge went the extra mile in making our stay memorable. We had breakfast at Element 47 on the morning of our departure too, which was of great quality. I used the Fitness Center, which although a small space had up-to-date treadmills and quality equipment. My only suggestion would be to add an in-room movie ordering service, as the only option (although complimentary) was DVDs for rental through the Front Desk. That being said, Justin was very helpful in finding some great new movies for us to watch. As ski season kicks into gear, if you are coming to Aspen, then you need to stay at The Little Nell!

Room Tip: If you are skiing, the 2nd floor is highly requested due to the Ski Concierge being on that floor to...
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've now stayed at the Little Nell 4 times since the remodel a few years ago. I'm always amazed at the world class quality of staff, location, skiing, food & town. As a Aspen hotel, it cannot be beat! From the spring flowers & fall colors, to ski valet & après-ski at the Tavern you are left with nothing to do but enjoy.

The room size is great & view is perfection year round. The only complaint I have is the room decor. The Crown family closed the Nell & spent millions to change the room décor into the most drab & depressing hotel rooms we’ve ever stayed in. My personal aesthetic is modern, clean lines & fresh, so you would think I’d love the look they tried to achieve.

We are now on our 4th, and probably last, visit to the Nell solely because of the room decor. Our booking instructions have been to put us in a “Blue room” that gives the tiniest bit of relief to avoid the beige, but even that is 95% taupe.

So what is so wrong? We are very active, so don’t spend a lot of time in the room, but still dislike the feel every time we walk into the room. It is the most depressing shade of a flat taupe/beige neutral I've even been wrapped in. Literally, every aspect of the room is almost the same color! Walls, ceiling, carpet, comforters, sheets, chairs, bathroom tile, dining table, upholstery on benches, literally everything in our room except the bath tub is a shade of the same taupe. On top of it, the lighting isn’t quite enough to balance out the light-absorbing taupe, so the rooms feel somewhat dark.

We love this hotel & hope the many guests who’ve given the same feedback will be heard by the decision makers. It would be so easy to shift some of the drab to include some freshness in a few rooms. Add deep expresso browns, more slate blues, cream, sparkle, anything that can add a little contrast & dimension.

You have many other hotel choices close by, so consider looking at these before making your reservations. You can always come for Nell restaurant & après-ski, but stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request a Blue room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear tkinc2win,

Thank you so very much for being such a fabulous return guest to the property. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our staff, location, food and room sizes. “Perfection” is high praise and something we strive for in every detail of a guest’s stay.

I apologize that the color palette of our rooms did not meet your aesthetic. As you stated, our rooms do indeed follow three different color palettes inspired by the mountain landscape. I apologize that we were unable to fulfill your request of a “blue” room at the time of your stay. If we could turn back time, we would make every effort to move you to a blue room. Our taupe/beige rooms are quite popular with other guests, but we understand they are not your personal preference.

We are so pleased that you love our hotel for all the reasons you generously listed, and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to place you in a more colorful room should you choose to return.

Best regards,

Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I mean, it's the Little Nell so you can't go wrong :) Great staff. Loved our room and the hotel, but even with a discount during the office season I think it's overpriced. The location would be fabulous during ski season though. After our wedding (at The Little Nell), we stayed in a premium mountain side room for our mini-honeymoon. It was huge, with great amenities. I loved being able to sit on the couch and look out onto the gondola and the mountain. The room decor still manages to have an 80s vibe to it even despite remodels, but that's sort of Aspen I think. We stayed at the Limelight before moving over to the Nell and the decor/vibe (and price) at the Limelight is more our style. That being said, staying here was fabulous and we would not hesitate to go back.

ATL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was my first visit to the Nell - a five star hotel that I had always wanted to visit. I was disappointed in my stay. To be fair, the rooms are spacious and the property is in a great location. The staff is kind and very helpful. However, the hotel is pet friendly. ALL rooms are pet friendly rooms and this is not clearly pointed out on the hotel website, nor prior to making the room deposit.
Many hotels are pet friendly, however most restrict this accommodation to select rooms - not the entire hotel. Many people have pet allergies and in my case, I NEVER reside in vacation properties that allow pets. This is because people do not clean as well as they think and I do not relish the thought of lying in a bed of dog hair. During check in, I discussed this with the clerk and was told that "we clean our rooms very well and if there is any problem, we will change your room". Sure enough, there was dog hair on the chairs and the hallway had the faint odor of 'wet dog". Changing rooms is an unsatisfactory solution if all rooms allow pets AND I already smell odor in the hall.

Again, the pet accommodation should be made more obvious on the website and prior to the purchase of a room. This property is not quite up to five star standards. I would likely stay at the St. Regis on a future visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear KHGAtl,
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and the size of our rooms. I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room, as we strive to have the utmost cleanliness in our rooms and hallways.
I sincerely thank you for your constructive feedback – you make some excellent points regarding our pet policy, which I plan to discuss and consider with my staff.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Our second stay at the Little Nell - both times in the Fall. Colorado resident rate allows us in-staters to experience the Little Nell's award winning service. October in Aspen still provides plenty of good weather and the Nell is a great place to stay! Spacious rooms and nice amenities. Staff that are genuinely helpful and friendly without being overbearing. Used the fitness center this stay and it has everything you need for a good workout.

Room Tip: When you get the Colorado resident rate you get a town side room. Not as pretty or as large as the m...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights and 4 days at the end of the September to beginning of October. The color of Aspen this fall was amazing. Little Nell is one of the luxurious, high end hotel in Aspen. From front entrance to the room, very clean, decorated with unique furnitures and felt very cozy yet, spacious.

We took a private tour of Aspen scheduled by concierge was great.
Next time, we will try to use their adventure team to schedule some activities. The valet service to dining experience was spot on.
Their restaurant served amazing food and wine. Pool side service was
Convenient, when we wanted to be little lazy and eat light for the dinner.

Complimentary snack and non alcoholic beverages made stay little easier.
City market was only 2 blocks away but when we are ready to go shopping or hiking, it was just easier to grab few snack and water to be on the road.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Grandmajung,
I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay in Aspen. It was the perfect time to be here, as the fall colors were peaking and as golden as they get. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed your private tour of Aspen and would certainly recommend you join our adventure team on your next stay. Our Jeep tours are a fantastic way to see autumn in Aspen, and fly fishing this time of year can’t be beat.
I hope we can welcome you back to the property again soon,
General Manager Simon Chen

Been to The Little Nell? Share your experiences!