“Can't beat the location” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   675 E Durant Ave, Aspen, CO 81611   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 36 hotels in Aspen
Utopia, Texas
“Can't beat the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Little Nell is no longer a hotel, it's a legend. Shambhalla of North American Skiing or perhaps Mount Olympus more appropriate? If mentioned careless conversation will shudder and stop with the atmosphere becoming all dreamy and slightly heavy with symbolism and meaning.

It's been the only luxury hotel in Aspen since forever. Families have been faithfully coming for generations once or twice a year for reunions, it's a place for celebrities and state dignitaries to stay when in town. All this supremacy is due to the only crucial advantage: ski-in/ski-out at the base of Ajax. You can't repeat the past? Children's play, try to repeat this location!

The hotel has been recently refurbished. The rooms are spacious with tons of storage, nice bathrooms and gas fireplace. Food is delicious, room service is super fast.

Great service from the guys working there: switched-on and very friendly.

However, despite the location, this Emperor is poorly dressed: its hideously looking 80s architecture apparently thought to be best complimented by beige, unremarkable decor ("neutral and sleek contemporary" whatever) brings the type of dull and simultaneously harrowing pain from boredom that maybe you'll have from enjoying lunar landscape.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear MsPapercut,
I love your description of the “legendary” Little Nell and am tempted to share sentences with our marketing director to steal them… thank you for the kind words and colorful description. I agree, the location simply can’t be beat.
We are, indeed, a child of the 80s, built in 1989 at the base of Aspen Mountain. Our guest room remodel in 2009, Living Room remodel in 2011 and V.I.P. suite remodel this season are our most recent upgrades. The new “Aspen Modern” aesthetic runs throughout the guest rooms, which are imbued with warm palettes of cream, blue and chocolate, and accentuated by textured fabrics and unique modern art. Room tip: If you like more color, please request a blue room – we’re happy to add that to your guest profile for future stays – as some of our rooms are “creamier” in color than others.
Warm regards,
General Manager Simon Chen

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I usually spend a few days every fall in the mountains for the fall colors. This year, I spent a couple of days in Aspen. The Little Nell is by far one of the best hotels I have ever experienced. From my arrival and the valet service to check out, everything was spot on. The bed was SO comfortable! I stayed on the town view side. I noticed some others had mentioned noise. I only noticed the buses and that was only with the door to the balcony open. I ordered room service, just a simple fruit plate and OJ. It came with some delicious yogurt and a cute little roll (sugared brioche). The mini bar is complimentary with the exception of alcohol. This was extremely handy-just to grab a granola bar or sack of chips to take with me while I was out taking in the leaves. Having a fireplace in the room was awesome after coming in from the cool night air. The bathroom was large with two vanities (while it was just me travelling, it's still nice to have the room. There is also a large dressing area off the bathroom and a VERY large closet so if you are staying for several days, there is room to put away your clothes. The concierge was very helpful although I wasn't able to take the horseback ride I had hoped, they nevertheless did the legwork and communicated my options to me.
Overall, I could not have asked for a better trip and I will definitely be making a return trip to the Little Nell in the future!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

As soon as we walked into the room, we knew that we were going to be very happy. We've been to many hotels around the US and the world and have spent plenty of money at some high end places, but none of them can compare to our experience at The Little Nell. We felt very special by EVERYONE who worked there as if we've been coming for years. Great experience and we'll be back again and again. My wife is a stickler for cleanliness and every part of the hotel, every nook and corner in our room was absolutely spotless! They even clean out the ash from the wood fire in the main lobby every night. I know , pretty petty, but people do notice, I did.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear JLipsey,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We love having first-time visitors to the hotel, and I’m so happy to hear our staff made you feel like regulars – which it sounds like you will be from now on! I will pass along your positive comments to our housekeeping team, who are always excited when guests not only notice but also appreciate their fastidious efforts.
Until next time,
Simon Chen, General Manager
St. Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were rained out of our original destination lodge in Colorado Springs. After a 4 hour drive, we arrived in Aspen, disheveled and tired. Two couples, suitcases and a dog crammed in a small car. We were hoping to find a nice place to stay that accepted dogs. Having heard of The Little Nell, thought we'd see if there were rooms. YES!!!!!!!! Rooms that were absolutely beautiful. Space in the bath for all our toiletries ---- could take them out of the traveling bags and NOT have to line them up on a counter, soaking tub and shower. Enormous closet with cubbies. An honor bar that provided free (and restocked daily) soft drinks and candy. Seating area before a fireplace. So much more.
The staff, from the concierge to the waitstaff, valet, were helpful and welcoming. Dog friendly doesn't describe how our friend's dog was treated!
Our three night stay was perfect. Rates a ten.

Room Tip: Don't think there is a "bad" room in the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear sallyannbeagle,
I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your impromptu stay with us! (And that your furry friend was given the pampered pooch treatment.)
I do hope you will come back and stay with us again at The Little Nell.
Regards,
Simon Chen, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Our weekend at the Little Nell was during the Food and Wine festival. We expected that during such a busy event, service might be stretched to meet the high bar set by this gem of a hotel. We were so wrong! Every possible request was met with an enthusiastic, 'it's my pleasure to help' by the uniformly outstanding staff. Truly, the Little Nell deserves more superlatives than I can cram into one review. The restaurant really took my breath away- best meal during our Aspen stay. Even though it's a splurge by most standards, I can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013
The_Little_Nell, General Manager at The Little Nell, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guita G,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on The Little Nell. Indeed, the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen is an incredibly fun but busy time for us. We’re thrilled to hear that you experienced the highest level of service from our staff, as we aim to make every guest’s stay perfect.
I’m even more pleased to hear you enjoyed our new restaurant element 47. It was the restaurant’s Food & Wine Classic debut, and certainly we wanted to impress. I’ve happily shared your comments with our restaurant team.
We do hope you will return again soon and look forward to welcoming you back to the property, during the Classic or any other time of year in Aspen,
Simon Chen, general manager
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Every employee that we had contact with was sincerely committed to making our stay the most memorable of our lives. They succeeded! The level of service is second to none. There will be no other place I go to in Aspen not just because of the beautiful property looking upward at Aspen Mountain but because of the way you are treated by the staff. Yes it is expensive but how much is a magical memory worth?

Room Tip: We had a town view room but was much quieter then expected and in no way detracted from our stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was in charge of selecting a hotel for a Shareholder Retreat - approx. 50 attendees for 3 nights. It's really hard to please that many people, but consider this 5 star review as coming from each and every one that attended. Service was incredbile, food unbelievable, beautiful rooms/hotel spaces, and the overall experience simply unmatched anywhere else we've gone. The Little Nell made me a star!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Little Nell? Share your experiences!