“Magical setting, minimalistic design and low-key staff on the outskirts of Aspen make for nice alternative with value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aspen Meadows Resort

Dogs Are Free - 8/27-9/7
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Stayed on New Year's night on a spontaneous ski-day getaway and found the minimalistic rooms with clean design both lovely and affordable. The setting, a 3 minute shuttle ride to downtown Aspen, has views of AJAX, Highlands and Buttermilk Mountains and is truly extraordinary. The lodging is the home base for the Aspen Institute so the feel is very heady and like a college campus with a touch of hip. Breakfast (huevos) were the best we've had in Colorado and the late night bar selection had some good whiskeys for a nightcap by the fire. We loved it and recommend it. It's not the St. Regis and it doesn't try to be. Great value that couldn't be any prettier. Nice spa and fitness area which we didn't use.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed here twice. Pretty location but the rooms are old. Temperature control in room was a constant challenge. The brought three electric heaters to the room. Think about that? Why do they stock electric heaters. I am sorry that the Aspen Institute is here.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
dougcrawford, Director of Sales at Aspen Meadows Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear Joeinx,

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor! We always appreciate feedback and strive to make sure each stay is enjoyable.

We apologize for your troubles regarding heat in your room this past week. The heating and cooling systems in our hotel were designed to be as energy efficient as possible. We realize that this can be difficult when temperatures swing to the extreme, as did Aspen’s sub-zero temperatures over the holidays this year. During these chilly times, we sometimes utilize the help of small space heaters to get the temperature of rooms up to the guests’ comfort level more quickly than standard heating alone. I hope this was your experience when the heaters were brought in. The Aspen Institute is actively working on a new design as we speak, with hopes we will have an effective and environmentally healthy upgrade in the very near future. Your concern will absolutely help in bringing urgency to this project going forward.

Thank you again for your comments and it would be a pleasure to speak with you personally to gain more details. Feel free to contact me anytime, and I hope you will consider returning to the Aspen Meadows Resort during your next visit to Aspen.

Best wishes,

Jud Hawk
West Orange, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Hotel room had terrible odor and no tub only shower stall. Hallways had same smell. Room not at all as promised. Upon arrival after 8 hrs of travel, was told that I could grab a cup of coffee from the lobby, but had to leave in 10 mins as reception was taking place in lobby. Moved to room with tub after voicing complaint to both hotel mgr and website where trip was booked. New room's tub would not hold water--had to bathe in 1/4 full tub apres skiing. Beds uncomfortable--pillows terrible. Receptionist swiped credit card, promising that nothing would be charged to my card, however 2 days later was hit with $270 hold, described as $50 per day in case I charged something to my room. After telling the receptionist that I was not charging anything, she released the hold. Two days after getting home, I was charged $117.72 unexpectedly. I called hotel, and was told that this was for "resort fees"--coffee in lobby, newspaper (which was never provided), WiFi, pool, and "free" shuttle. Also, buffet breakfast is very pricey--beware of 22% gratuity added to check but not mentioned by staff.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
dougcrawford, General Manager at Aspen Meadows Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
Dear hisideallady,

Thank you for speaking with me today by phone to review your concerns. My team and I take great pride in delivering the experience that our guests expect. As discussed, please accept my sincerest apology that your family’s experience did not meet your expectations. Without question your observations and concerns are a priority of ours, and as promised I will work diligently with the staff to ensure these issues are resolved in the future.

I’m thrilled to hear that you have already made plans to return to Aspen, and greatly appreciate that you are giving us a second chance here at the Aspen Meadows Resort. We look forward to having you as our guest, and providing you with the standard of service and accommodations that will make your trip an amazing one!

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of additional service to you or your family in any way.

Warm regards for a very Happy New Year,

Jud Hawk
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

Aspen Meadows is indeed a hidden gem in Aspen. We jsut spend a week in a 2 bedroom suit with our daughters which cost less than what it would havebeen the tax on Little Nell's suites! The suite was huge, clean and beautiful. The service is impeccable. they had fresh coffee in the morning and smores at night. They even paid for ski transfers from one mountain to another. They also offered free internet access. It is a bit out of the way but the shuttle ran all day and all night and we never had an issue getting one to take us to town. The only thing that I wish they had was a toaster in the room. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Aspen Meadows combines virtually everything needed for a memorable Aspen holiday, except for ski-in, ski-out accessibility. If you can organize yourself to use their shuttles into downtown ( 3-4 minutes ride), then you get simple (Scandinavian style?) but very comfortable accommodations, a quiet setting with views of the mountains, very good food on-site, willing-to-help service, and great value for your buck.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Friendly staff, huge rooms, beautiful setting. Woudl recommend to anyone!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Denver, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed for one night with our infant and toddler to catch the end of the fall colors. We were very happy with the grounds, the layout of the room, the fitness center, and the pool area.

When I woke up in the morning, I was on my laptop and saw something scurry across the floor in the corner of my eye and disappear under the couch. I stared at the couch and then saw a little mouse come back out. I screamed and woke my husband up and we watched it run back and forth. My infant was sleeping on the floor in a tent-like bed that was not completely zipped, so I was mortified that a mouse could have come in with her during the night. I had the girls stay on the bed with me and my husband packed up and we checked out... I told the desk that there was a mouse running around the room and the woman said "sorry, it must be that time of year".

If it hadn't been for that, it would have been a lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family