“Surprising Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Surprising Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I love love love this hotel! The Ideeli deal for this hotel was the impetus for our last minute trip to Aspen. We got a half off deal for their Junior suite. Thanks to other reviewers on trip advisor, we asked for a 2nd floor corner suite as close to the pool as possible. To our great surprise at check in, they honored all our requests...which resulted in a free upgrade to the deluxe one bedroom suite (428 in Wexner building). The suite is huge, something like 700 sqft, spotless, with modern furnishing, very comfortable bed and down comforter and pillows. The kitchenette area is between the living room and bedroom and is quite spacious with a dining table, microwave, refrigerator and plates and silverware. The bathroom is also spacious with the nicest fluffiest towels (rivaling those of the Ritz!) and very nice toiletries. And the highlight of every night of our stay is a dip in the hot tub after a long day on the slopes. They also have steam rooms in both the female and male locker rooms in the health center (which is open 24hrs/day to hotel guests). Of note, (this has not been a problem for us) but the heater is in the floor (radiant heating system I think) and does take a little while to heat up. Might be an issue if the outside gets much colder than 20s-40s when we were here. Also they don't have A/C...I don't know if it gets hot here in the summer....

Everyone from the front desk, bellman, and health center staff are very courteous and helpful. We would definitely come back here for our next trip to aspen!

Room Tip: Wexner building is closest to the health center/poo/hot tub but farthest from lobby and parking lot...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
JudHawk_Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Meadows Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Dear Lizprincipessa,

Thank you so very much for your very positive review of our resort! All of us on staff greatly appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests. If there is anything I can do to assist you in the furture with travel plans, please call me directly!

Again thank you so very much!

Jud

jud.hawk@aspenmeadows.com
(970) 544 - 7811

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed at Aspen Meadows in December for one week and had an excellent corner room with fireplace. It was spotless -- first rate housekeeping. Beautiful view. Huge and comfortable bed. We loved the kitchenette area. We bought breakfast provisions in town and made breakfast each morning in our room before skiing. Shuttle service into town was extremely convenient and reliable. Our only complaints included (1) cold and indifferent greeting at the front desk when we arrived. None of the usual welcoming pleasantries that we normally receive when checking in which struck us as rather odd. (2) we were awakened three consecutive nights at 2:00 a.m. by guests in two adjoining rooms who were coming in and throwing things down the stairs, screaming and laughing loudly, banging against the walls of their rooms, etc. We complained to the front desk after Day 2 of this conduct and they said that they could move us to new rooms. We were baffled...why move US rather than say something to the offending guests? Fortunately, the obnoxious guests checked out (loudly) at 6:00 a.m. one morning. Despite this, we loved the setting, the trails, the solitude of the grounds and would likely return. But we will bring our ear plugs next time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
JudHawk_Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Meadows Resort, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear BluDevil81,

Please let me know when you would like to return... I greatly appreciate your favorable report! Without question, my guest services employee should have handled the noisy neighbors upon first report. I greatly appreciate your sharing this with me so that I can review with my entire team the importance of handling issues immediately.

My goal is to ensure excellence in guest services. Rest assured that I will use this report to continue to make improvements in our services. It would be my pleasure to assist you in making plans to stay with us again. When you have dates in mind, please let me know directly so that I confirm the details of your trip!

Warm regards,

Jud.hawk@aspenmeadows.com
(970) 544 7811
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Room had an over whelming moldy/musty smell.
I had to call three times for mantinance to turn on the boiler /heat. Each time it worked for approximately one hour. After that the tempature continued to drop.The buildings are very old. They have radient floor heating witch unfortunately does not work;the heat never went above 62..it was the end of January.
They brought a space heater. Really? for the price of the hotel I should not have to have a space heater. After day two I tried another room; I switched rooms and had the same issue. I checked out and went to a real hotel with heat!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear VonDutch007,

Thank you for taking time to write about your recent experience at my hotel. Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience you experienced. I am embarrassed that my staff was unable to correct the situation to your satisfaction; I completely understand your frustration.

You are correct the property heating system is older and does require attention. My engineering staff works diligently to mitigate for this and every attempt is made to prevent these types of occurrences.

If you would please contact me directly by phone or email (listed below) I would like to have the opportunity to correct this and apologize in person. It is certainly my goal to restore your faith in the resort services. I look forward to hearing from you!

jud.hawk@aspenmeadows.com
(970) 544 7811
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Recently stayed at Aspen Meadows for a skiing trip and I think everyone going to Aspen should stay at the Meadows! Room is awesome, very clean, with excellent views! I dined at Platos and would recommend it for both their weekend breakfast buffet and dinner. Take advantage of the town shuttle to hit up all the Aspen hot spots. Really enjoyed the staff as well. They were very courteous, professional, and helped me out with any request I had. I would recommend their meeting rooms for any conferences or meetings that you may have. Overall, Aspen Meadows was excellent! Can't wait to go back in September!

Room Tip: Ask for the Dalai Lama room!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed here for two days on our ski trip... Rooms are very spacious, clean and modern with fabulous views of the surrounding mountains. Service was excellent! Try the exterior heated pool and hot tub for a unique experience, especially in the winter.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This property is a great value in a town where accommodations are pricey--even though sadly the cost of a room here has doubled in recent years. The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable with nice linens. The style is Bauhaus inspired--more simple than luxe. Unique as it is home to the Aspen Institute and designed to host conferences. It is in a beautiful setting about 5+ minute drive from the gondola and historic Aspen. They run shuttles on the half hour, 24 hours a day which is a must since parking in town can be difficult. They will transport skis to the mountain of your choice. Request a room on the second/top floor for more privacy (bedroom window is large and in the front) and less noise. I also prefer the buildings closer to the lobby/restaurant. You could also request to be near the pool/spa. The buildings are spread out. In the summer, we enjoy the tennis courts. The place is showing some wear--the Gehry chairs in the dining room need to be refinished and the plastic plants in the rooms were dusty and drab. If you want to stay in town, I've found the best value to be the "Hotel Aspen" smaller rooms, busy street, not as interesting as "The Meadows" and even a little dreary--basically a comfortable bed in town, also the "LimeLite Lodge" or "The Gant"--condos at the other end of town---if you want to splurge my recommendation hands down would be "The Little Nell".

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quieter and have more privacy--rooms at the end of the building have better v...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My son and I recently stayed for a week at Aspen Meadows. The property is as addressed in other reviews. The rooms are in 4 or 5 separate buildings, two floors per building and approx 10(?)suites/building. The resort is more like a small campus than a typical hotel. We stayed in a second floor corner room which was nice. The sleek European styling and the floor to ceiling windows allow for beautiful views of the surrounding landscape. The room (I think it was a one bedroom) was perfect for a single Mom traveling with a teenage son. There is a separate den area with a pullout sofa (my son said was not so comfortable) so we did not have to share a room or pay for two. The king bed was very comfortable with a cozy down duvet and nice linens throughout. There was a mini kitchen with a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was large with a separate vanity. The rooms were very clean and the daily room service was excellent.
The reception area/bar and restaurant are in a separate building a few steps away from the rooms. The staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby offer daily newspapers, USA Today, WSJ, and coffee. We only ate breakfast at the restaurant, but found it tasty, a good value and again, BEAUTIFUL views! Covered parking was included in the room rate (nice for keeping the car clean of snow). While the property is about 1 mile from town, it is an easy walk in comfortable shoes. We also had free WiFi in our room, but since we booked through a travel agency I do not know if these freebies are standard. The was a daily resort fee (approx $18). I did not check the rates at other properties, but I felt the room rate was a good value considering it was peak ski season.
Aspen has great public transportation, but I recommend renting a car. I had a weekly rental from Alamo at the Aspen airport for $149. The Meadows does offer a shuttle to the Aspen Bus Depot where there is free bus service to the surrounding ski areas. However, it can be confusing and waste the better part of a day trying to figure out the details. I also recommend flying in/out of Aspen airport. It is approx 2 miles from Aspen and SO EASY to get in/out.
The Meadows is only a short distance from the hustle and bustle of Aspen, but feels like its own isolated spot. The only reason I cannot give the property 5 stars is because the walls in the building we stayed we thin or poorly insulated. I could hear the hair dryer, TV, toilet, etc in the next room CLEARLY. Not good if you are looking for some R&R and a group of partying skiers or crying young ones end up in a room next or above you. Also, as I said the resort is more like a campus and less like a large hotel. I would not recommend this for an individual that is challenged by walking around, outside, and on possibly icy, slippery terrain. Overall I enjoyed the stay at The Meadows and would like to return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Aspen Meadows Resort? Share your experiences!