“Bad in every way.....” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
North Carolina
“Bad in every way.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

My stay started with me noticing the bed was slightly messy and then finding hairs on the sheets. I had to ask for the bed to be changed. Then:
1) The walls are paper-thin and I could hear the TV in the next room, the party in the lounge, and the snowplows.
2) The paint was peeling in the shower.
3) The showerhead was about to fall out of the wall.
4) There were urine stains all over the floor around the toilet.
5) In the morning I found that there was only decaf in my room, so when I called at 6am to get regular coffee I found out that the front desk didn't open until 7am. Seriously??

All in all, one of the worst hotel experiences I have had for the money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
Dear Jobib,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us, we take your comments and opinions seriously and will take whatever steps we can to continue to improve our product and services.

We wholeheartedly apologize if any part of your stay was less than you satisfactory. As you can see from the many, many positive reviews we have received that what you encountered was certainly an exception to our usual high standards. I am disappointed to learn of your experience here on tripadvisor rather than while you were here, as I would have done my best to rectify any deficiency immediately. I hope that you will contact me so that I might offer you the opportunity to make this right for you.

We take great pride in the quality and standards of our hotel - we recently completed a 2 million dollar complete renovation of the hotel. In the last 2 years all of the property’s 45 guestrooms were stripped to the core and renovated with wood floors, contemporary furnishings, plush bedding, new high efficiency Andersen windows and window treatments, new air conditioning and fully refurbished bathrooms. The poolside courtyard sports stylish, new Buddha beds, fire pit and water features and the interior and exterior of the Aspen landmark share a fresh color palette. Our property’s trademark friendly service and intimate feel remain unchanged. The result is an Aspen accommodation that is modern, stylish, yet still affordable.

We offer a complimentary full hot breakfast with fresh coffee, juices, tea and cocoa, made to order waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, home-style potatoes, bagels and a toaster to heat them, fresh fruit, eggs, meats and cheeses, pastries, cereal and fresh bread. We also include complimentary parking, wireless internet, complimentary airport transportation and several daily newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

We truly feel that if you compare our hotel to any other hotel in Aspen in our price range you will find that Hotel Aspen represents a tremendous value for the money and a warm, relaxing and comfortable lodging experience.

Thanks again for your comments, and we hope to see you back in aspen and the Hotel Aspen soon,

Best regards,
Jeff Bay C.H.A.
970-925-3434
jeff.bay@hotelaspen.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

We just returned from a wonderful week in Aspen -- great skiing, and a great place to stay. Hotel Aspen has a convenient location, a lovely upstairs apres-ski room with a breathtaking view, and comfortable rooms thoughtfully equipped with microwaves, mini-fridges, humidifers, space heaters, and extra blankets. Staff are friendly, helpful, and effiicient. Breakfast and apres ski fare could be better, but the outgoing good humor of the staff and the congenial atmosphere among the guests made for an enjoyable experience. We recommend Hotel Aspen and plan to return this summer.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Steilcaoom, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Great room, situated 3 blocks from downtown and 100 ft from the mountain shuttles. Full breakfast buffet and generous apres ski happy hour were wonderful. Hot tub, heated pool, comfortable beds all made this a great choice

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

We came to the Hotel Aspen and stayed in the Jacuzzi suite. It was very clean and modern. The jacuzzi was clean and private. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We used the free shuttle to and from the airport and it went smoothly. The breakfast and Apres was average but at least they offer you something. The location was perfect for us..about a 5 block walk to the center of town. The buses take you anywhere for free. I think for the money this hotel was perfect for us. We would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

Would definitely stay here again. The shuttle was at the airport when we got there. Staff was very knowledgeable about how to get around and what to do. Check in was fast and easy. We got a free upgrade to a jacuzzi suite. The room was great, clean, and comfortable. Location was nice for us, it was a few blocks from downtown, which was nice not to be right downtown in all of the busyness. The breakfast was great every morning. The après ski was the best with drinks and a wide variety of food every night. All of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Very easy access to the free shuttles to get around town and all 4 of the mountains.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011 via mobile

Positives:
large room with comfy king bed, large flat screen tv and spa on balcony.
Bus to all ski areas next to hotel
Good complimentary breakfast

Negatives:
The free hotel trf did not show at the airport despite me proving my flight number. They wouldn't give me a credit for the cost of the cab - $20

The rooms are poorly soundproofed. I could hear normal conversations, music and TV from adjoining rooms.

TV did not work when I checked in. I had to ring the front desk to change the settings on the tv. I would have thought this would be checked before u check in.

Spa did not work. It had been unplugged and the circuit had shorted. It took 1 1/2 before someone came to fix.

Desk hadn't been cleaned of snow and ice after 2 days. I needed to leave a note to have housekeeping clean it so I didn't slip when getting into the spa.

My room key was deactivated on the last day despite being given a late check out. Not fun walking up and down 3 flights of stairs in ski boots.

Rooms are poorly soundproofed

• Stayed January 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

My wife and I booked our room online well ahead of time on the Hotel Aspen website. I booked a room with a private outdoor jacuzzi on the patio. When we arrived at Hotel Aspen we were told that they had accidentally overbooked. They told us we would be staying at their sister hotel, the Molly Gibson across the street, and to make up for the inconvenience we were given a bottle of wine and a bigger room which they said would be an upgrade. I looked at the prices and the room was not an upgrade. We did not have an outdoor jacuzzi, and the bottle of wine was one of those cheap $4 bottles. What a smack in the face! The room had a fireplace that when lit filled the room with smoke. The damper did not properly let the smoke out, so we could not use the fireplace. When someone books a room and receives confirmation, the expectation is to stay in that room during their vacation. They handled the situation poorly, and it set the tone for a rather disappointing trip that we had been looking forward to for a long time. I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelAspen, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Dear 2 Vagabonds,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us regarding the less than perfect experience you had with us at our hotel. Let me begin for apologizing wholeheartedly for the mistake on your reservation and our well intended but less than satisfying resolution.

I will not make excuses as to why we overbooked, we made a mistake and you should not have been inconvenienced as a result. I believe our staff made what they felt was a reasonable gesture to make your stay comfortable by moving you to a Deluxe room with private jetted tub and fireplace (the Jacuzzi room at Hotel Aspen would not have had a fireplace) and a bottle of wine, but our efforts fell short. During cold weather a wood burning fireplace will occaisionally down draft as the cold air comes down the chimney, but usually the situation is quickly resolved once a fire is going. Our maintenance staff is more than happy to assist in these situations. We do not have a restaurant and bar on property, so our staff chose a bottle of wine that we use at our Apres" ski reception, not fancy but good wine and it certainly was not meant as an insult to you of any kind.

I wish I would have had the chance to work with you personally on your challenges during your stay instead of replying to you here, but I would appreciate the oppportnity to have you stay with us as my guest at the Hotel Aspen at your convenience in the future. I believe you will find our hotel to be upscale, comfortable, friendly and an excellent experience. I'm confident that your feedback after actually experiencing the hotel will be extemely positive.

Best regards,

Jeff Bay C.H.A
Hotel Aspen - Molly Gibson Lodge
jeff.bay@hotelaspen.com
970-925-3441

Been to Hotel Aspen? Share your experiences!