“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed April 8th-9th, first stay at the hotel. In town for business, but was able to get in skiing one day. The hotel staff was very friendly, greatly enjoyed the apres ski reception and breakfast in the morning. Hotel staff was great with directions and suggestions. I stayed in room 318, which had a great view from the jacuzzi balcony (rooms 315-318 have separate jacuzzi balconies with same view). Only complaint is that the hotel computer did not have Microsoft Office which I needed to print a few things.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
St. Helier, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Aspen 15-22 March - it was our first time in Aspen (we were meeting a group of Aspen veteran friends who were staying in several accomodation).
On arrival Kyle/ reception had kindly given us a corner roomwith fireplace as it was our anniversary. (Room 223)
Hotel may not look great from the outside but the room was large, bright, airy, comfortable and clean.
Yes, there is an old fashioned bar/kitchen in the midlle with is a little dated, but we found it very useful for our drinks and snacks.
The reception staff was brilliant with a "can do" attitude ,and helped me recover my lost gloves AND had them delivered to reception (thank you Anna and I Forgot Your name = sorry)
B'fast was very good and varied, and the afternoon complementary food and drinks are a bonus.
Jaccuzi and pool outside were great to relax after skking with a drink in hand (water hot so you will not get cold!!!)
Location is great - right by the various bus stops - and also walking distance to town centre.
Overall fab value for money, lovely staff - will definately stay there again next time I go to Aspen.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room with a view. (We had 223 but other corner can have a balcony)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear CelineGimenez,

Thank you so much and i so appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay and mention some of our hardworking staff, I am a lucky man to have such great employees. We strive to provide great service and excellent amenities at an affordable price, and we hope that you will consider us again on a future trip to Aspen.

All the best -

Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was our first stay at this hotel. The room had been renovated, but the building is from the 1970's and they did so much with the renovation. The bed was super comfortable, but there was an old "bar" in the middle of the room - not sure why they didn't just remove it for the renovation. The bathroom was really crowded ... over sized vanity that took up the whole room so really cramped. Again, renovation was attempted but they left the old medicine cabinet on the wall. Lack of attention to detail ... electric plugs that didn't work, towels were threadbare, light switches didn't match (some white, some yellow). Sound proofing between units is very poor. Outside of buildings, other than the entry building, and pool area is in very shabby condition.

The breakfast was awful. Stale bread, overcooked eggs, anemic sausages, watered down juice, mediocre coffee. The breakfast area was a horrible mess by 9 am each morning, actually disgusting ... food all over the floor, tables and chairs, overflowing bus pans, a horrible mess. We bailed after the first day and went out to eat for the rest of our stay.

Maybe I am being nit-picky, but for $400 a night (we stayed in high season) I just wished it was finished off a bit better with more attention to detail and I wish it were cleaner. On the up side, the bed was super comfortable, the location is good and the staff are super friendly.

Room Tip: Get an interior room ... overheard other guests complaining about traffic noise with the rooms facin...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear kristainco,

I appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback regarding your stay. You are correct that we are a older hotel that has undergone extensive renovations, but unfortunately we cannot make every design decision perfectly. We left the bar in the room to provide a sink, refrigerator and microwave, and most guests find this a tremendous convenience. We use 100% egyptian cotton sheets and towels and find that our towels are generally in excellent condition and quality, We try really hard to provide great service, tremendous value and excellent amenities, and our prices, even in high season as you mention are usually half those of our competitors, and we include parking, wifi, airport transportation, local and LD calls, Apres Ski reception and more at no additional cost. The breakfast room gets busy and most of our guests enjoy the full hot complimentary buffet , but I'll take your comments seriously and see what additional improvements we can make, I just wish you would could have enjoyed it more than the one morning you did and based your entire trips observations on that experience.

I would enjoy the opportunity to personally discuss your stay and impressions and do whatever I can to consider us again on a future trip to Aspen, please contact me at your convenience.

Best regards,

jeff.bay@hotelaspen.com
Steckborn, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Nice hotel downtown. Clean room, friendly and helpful people. Good breakfast, you really have choice and not just cereals and waffles. Free wifi, I really enjoyed the stay here even though it was a short one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Christian B,

Thank you so much for the nice review, I appreciate the time you took even though you were only with us for a quick trip, hopefully next time you can stay a bit longer and really enjoy Aspen!

Best regards,

Maasmechelen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Not suited for couples!
Mainly groups of men or young people who are coming to party even in the middle of the night.
Location is ok and ski busses right in front of the hotel.
Rooms spacious but loud because hotel is old.
Staff very friendly and helpfull.
Breakfast poor very basic!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Lambrichts,

First of all, my apologies if any part of your stay was not to your satisfaction. I do recall your situation and there were certainly some inconsiderate guests who made it difficult for you and other guests to fully appreciate their time in Aspen. I can understand how that would make your stay less than expected. However, I was discouraged that you did not share the complete story. As you recall we worked with you extensively to find a solution, we upgraded you at no charge and bought you and your wife dinner as a gesture of our sincere concern, we went out of our way to apologize even though the situation was somewhat out of our control as we have no magic powers to change human behavior, however the situation was readily addressed with the offending guests as soon as you made us aware. The Hotel Aspen is not a "Party Hotel" as you infer, but unfortunately occasionally we get rambunctious guests who over-enjoy their stay in Aspen. I'd venture to say that this happen at hotels like the St. Regis and Little Nell as well. I thinks it's somewhat unfair to paint a picture of our hotel based on one inconsiderate guest. As you can clearly see from the overwhelming majority of our reviews that we are a friendly, safe, upscale property with a high degree of value. We include a full hot breakfast with over 20 items on the buffet, a complimentary Apres ski with Beer, Wine and hot appetizers, free wifi, airport transportation, local and LD calls and much more. Again, my apologies, and I hope that you might give us another opportunity to earn your business on a future stay.

Respectfully, Jeff Bay
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My second stay at the hotel. It has the shuttle stop right there and just four blocks from restraurant square as I call it, where all the nice ones are located. We recommend the front ground floor room. Mike

Room Tip: front ground floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Jeff_Bay, General Manager at Hotel Aspen, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear vandy1975,

I really appreciate your review and I'm so glad that you had an great time in Aspen and our hotel. Sounds like you got to experience some great restaurants while you were here and I hope the skiing was equal. Looking forward to serving you on another stay.

Cheers,

Jeff Bay

Been to Hotel Aspen? Share your experiences!