“Great little place..” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   124 E. Cooper Street, Aspen, CO 81611   |
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
“Great little place..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

The Snow Queen was a great choice, quaint and real feeling, very clean, and the staff are extremely nice and helpful. This is a great little place and I'd come back any time!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
sqlodge, Manager at Snow Queen Lodge, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm so glad you enjoy the atmosphere of our establishment. We'd love to welcome you back the next time you're in Aspen.

David Ledingham, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I found the Snow Queen Lodge on the internet when I was searching for a place to stay in Aspen over Labor Day weekend. We were traveling to Aspen for my brother's wedding at the Little Nell. We had several friends and family who would be coming from all over the world and I wanted to find a place that would be affordable, yet warm and comfortable. The Snow Queen Lodge worked out better than any of us ever expected. The owners were lovely and helpful with local information. The actual lodge was spotless and quaint. There was a deck with a table and chairs where we all lounged between wedding events. In a heartbeat I would highly recommend the Snow Queen Lodge and look forward to returning there again in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I know I much prefer a smaller, more cozy place to stay so I'm happy to hear you feel the same way. We'd love to welcome you back again soon.

USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I wish I could say something nice about this place, the people who run it are generally friendly, and the old woman who owns it is a true BB type...she wants to get to know you and chat etc...i suppose that would be charming if you were interested in that kind of interaction. Staff isn't always onsite, which is kind of unprofessional. Hopefully you don't have the same experience I did, which was negotiating a certain rate, then when I arrived the owner insisted I pay in cash...upfront...for the whole stay....then when my plans changed and I left one night early....she refused to refund me, saying there should be a penalty charge. Hmmm...I gave her a day notice and left way before check out time so the room would be free to clean and prepare before a new person could stay there. I also think it's strange that she was so upset about the "potential business lost" because when I called to book the room she swore there were barely any rooms available, ok and the day I left she informed me my room will be occupied that night. Sounds like a rip off to me. Otherwise the property is fine. It's close to busses if you want to grab a bus to go skiing, you can walk into town so the location is good. The room was pretty disappointing for the rate, old and modest. I wouldn't recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
sqlodge, Manager at Snow Queen Lodge, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
I wrote to you last year to request removal of this unjust review & never got a responce. As you can see by the other 4 reviews, it is not like the other good reviews.
This guest wanted to cancel her stay early & wanted a refund...It is clearly stated that we do not give refunds within 30 days of arrival unless we can re rent the room. which we could not. She then wrote this bad review to do us damage
Go to our reviews on B&B.com they are all good
please let me know you received this email
-David manager
sqlodge@rof.net
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

I stayed here for 10 days in December. This is a charming place. I was in the Cooper Street Lofts which are adjacent to the lodge. The owner is a lovely lady who has been in Aspen for many years. This is however not a modern place and is a little on the quirky side - which I liked but others may not. The rooms in the Cooper Street Lofts are large and functional. The mezzanine levels referred to on the site are really mezzanine sleeping platforms with a floor to ceiling height of only about 40 inches, if that. However good sized accomodation and good pricing for Aspen.
There is no permanent presence by the staff at the lodge but then to be honest there is no need.
The place is just opposite the bus stop for the free shuttle buses to the various mountains around ASpen and only 10 minutes walk from Aspen Mountain (Ajax) lift itself. It is a great location. The owner is very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — It is a very friendly place
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phliadelphia, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2005

I first stayed at the Snow Queen in 1980, I was out skiing and wanted to stay longer than I booked. I was having fun, it was a world cup week and there wasn't much to pick from. I had already gone to the airport to leave, turned around and got in a shuttle back to Aspen. I was making many a pay phone calls, (before cell phones), some booking service person told me to try the Snow Queen. Norma put me in a dorm room with a couple of teenagers for two nights. I was then given space in a room with a mother and daughter. The next year I was back, with my own room. I have gone with girlfriends, my children, and granddaughter. This year I will be joining my son and his girl, it's his second year with the X-games week. My daughter and her husband with their 4 month old is coming also. Norma has built the Cooper Street Lofts just for folks like us, families that are growing and returning. The space is fab., I'm a restaurant owner and chef in Phliadelphia, my son-in-law in Charlotte. We always have Norma and her husband Don over for dinner or take them out. The lofts has room to entertain with a fireplace and full size kitchen. They do have rooms in the Lodge that is still for two or more. The location is perfect, no car is needed, even though there are parking spots for the guests. Norma and her twin sister, who has The little red Ski House next door, have been in Aspen from the begining, they were the Toni Twins. Yep the ones with the perms, "which one has the perm or the natual curls)? Staying with Norma has been like being a part of the history of Aspen. The year of the 50th anniversity was a party week, that was the opening of Little Nell's lift. The Book of Aspen has the whole story..with women like Norma that took a risk.

sqlodge, Manager at Snow Queen Lodge, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I know it's been a while since you wrote about us but I wanted you to know that we appreciate hearing from you. It's wonderful to hear from our loyal guests and we look forward to seeing you again soon.