“Very different - not a chain hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Residence Hotel
305 South Galena Street, Aspen, CO 81611   |
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Denver, Colorado
“Very different - not a chain hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were two couples visiting Aspen for the fall colors. I researched TripAdvisor for likely accommodations and encountered the Residence Hotel, was fascinated by the unusual nature of the place and booked it. To be honest, I was initially inclined to book into the Hotel Jerome due to its legendary status, but it's closed for extensive renovations so they missed out.

The Residence Hotel is about as far from the usual cookie-cutter hotel as I can imagine. It's located above retail stores right in the heart of Aspen - extremely convenient in every way (although parking can be a challenge in busy times). Gaining access requires you to have a door code, and you enter up a steep set of stairs into the "lobby" (which is really a common area surrounded by the rooms). Note - lugging heavy baggage up the stairs might be difficult for the infirm or elderly, but we managed without a hitch.

We tracked down Terry (the owner) and she showed us into our suite - the Country Suite, which is a 2-bedroom, 2 bath layout with a large living room and kitchen. Very convenient for folks who want to "make themselves at home" instead of the usual hotel room limitations. The decor is definitely different - very historic, very plush, perhaps slightly "bordello-ish", which fits nicely in with the history of the building as a former brothel in early Aspen days. Don't take that comment as a negative - the whole package just seems to "work" and Terry has obviously spent much time creating a feeling of warmth and luxury within the confines of a very old building structure.

Note - do not expect to encounter lots of staff waiting to satisfy your every whim. The whole approach is more along the lines of "apartments" - you move in and pretty much take care of yourselves, with willing recommendations from Terry when needed. Of course, downtown Aspen has plenty of options for meals if you prefer to eat out, so just be prepared to be self-sufficient and you should be good.

Overall, a wonderfully different experience and very pleasant stay in a historic building with loads of charm, perfectly situated in downtown Aspen. Possible negatives for some folks might be the street parking, steep stairs to gain access, and some of the minor infrastructure issues often associated with old buildings - but if you like "different" combined with comfort and early American elegance, this place certainly fits the bill.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Residence-Hotel, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
I was intrigued with your unique take on my hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write about it. You are so right....we are "not like any other hotel". We are definitely different. I am just happy you enjoyed yourselves. Hope to see you next summer.
Tank you,
Terry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at The Residence Hotel in Aspen. The fall colors were fantastic and the hotel is coveniently located for shopping and dining in the charming town. The low season rate we got for our 2 bedroom suite was very, very good. And the restaurants all had great prix fixe deals too. Autumn is a wonderful time to visit. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us a special review. I am glad you enjoyed the fall here, and loved our location. We will certainly look forward to your next trip to see us.
Lafayette, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Residence Hotel is the perfect mix of uniqueness and luxury. From the warm embrace of Terry, the owner, to ultra-soft embrace of the bed. The only bad thing about the beds is that you never want to get out of them to see what the perfect location of the Residence in downtown Aspen has to offer. Make the Residence Hotel your first choice in Aspen and you will come back every year like we have - 4 straight years.

Stayed September 2012
Thanks for coming back 4 years in a row. I love it when my guests make the hotel their true home away from home. I am glad you liked my beds...we spend a lot of time trying to make sure they are the most comfortable and inviting beds in town.
Thank you...and see you soon.
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I like to take to the road with our dog Boo for the summer months and this year we decided we had never been to Aspen CO. It was a destination we had always wanted to go to so we looked online and found this boutique hotel right in the center of Aspen. We had never been to Aspen and we had no reference We Had a wonderful experience. Terri, Cherl, and the hotel owner Terry Butler were absolutely wonderful to us. They even dog-sat as we went ATV-ing, Hot AIr Ballooning and White Water Rafting. We loved coming back to our room as it was comfortable and inviting. We rented for an entire month and took advantage of all of the restaurants, stores and highlights of the downtown. We literally parked our car at the start of our stay and only twice had to drive anywhere. Everything was walking and biking distance. There is a beautiful biking path and we enjoyed a day of biking with Terry and seeing the surrounding towns. I loved the Saturday market most. A lovely stay and the location could not have been better. Loved it!

Room Tip: Room 3 was our room and had 2 comfortable bedrooms and r 2 bathrooms. The kitchen was great and the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the lovely review. We indeed loved having you as well for those weeks and are looking forward to having you again for the month this summer. It is wonderful to make new and meaningful relationships though the hotel. It is one of the man reasons I stay in the business.
See you soon,
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at The Residence and hope to return soon. Terry and Cheryl were so gracious, fun and full of ideas for my short stay. My room was over the top in decor, which I loved because it is different from my own home. And it did feel like home, not a hotel. As a single woman traveling alone, I look for unique experiences and good locations. The Residence has it all. Thank you Terry for sharing your warmth and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Residence-Hotel, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you so much for this review. We do put so much into our decor and we're so glad you enjoyed being here as much as we do. Come back and see us again soon.
Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

So I booked the Residence Hotel through hotel.com. After the reservation was confirmed my friend and I were excited about expericne as I know their location is good (I walked by last year at the food and wine classic). However, the next day I got a call from Michael from the hotel and told me that for the food and wine event weekend, there is 4 nights minimum requirement, when I told him that hotel.com has took down my credit info and charged a processing fee and provide a confirmation, never once they have mentioned there was a 4 nights minimum and it was never shown on hotel.com. then I went to Reisdence Hotel website and there was no such thing advertised on the site with 4 nights minimum requiremtn. I told Michael that it puts my friend I in a rough position and he suggested us changin our flight to meet the 4 nights requirement, that means we will need to pay a change fee to change our flight and the take an extra day off from work so we can stay at the hotel we thought will provide us a memoriale experience and to celebrate my friend's 40th birthday, It wasn not my fault that there was no indication of 4 nights minimum requirement and if hotel.com has given us the confirmation, If there was a clear message on the 4 nights minimum at first place, I probably wouldn't have any problems with this place. Then, shouldn't residence hotel honor the confirmation even if it's there was a glitch on the computer as Michael claimed that there might be glitches through the system. While Michael was talking to me a woman took over the phone and said that Hotel.com knows about the 4 nights minimum and told me that I should take up to them she was speking in a very hostle tone of voice trying, then she hung up on me before I can respond. I was so stuneed, I travel very frequent for leisure and for work (I work for a large corporation), never once I have experience such horrible horrible customer experience, whenever a hotel makes a mistake, they would go far and beyond to fix the problems (eg., Four Seasons and Ritz, because they care about the customers and the business). After the woman hung up on me, I called right back and Michael picked up the phone, I told him that the woman just hung up me and that was not the way to treat a potential customer, granted Michael apologized on the mean woman's behalf, the damage was done. The Residence hotel asked us to pay for 4 nights when we will only stay there for 3, then they will let us keep the reservation. Apparently money is everything and customer service no longer matter to this hotel. I have no problem spending money on an expensive hotel when I travel for leisure, what matters is the principle. NO matter how great this place looks, with the woman's attitude like that I WILL NOT stay here and I will take my business else where if it's much more expensive such as St.Regis. I will definitely share my experience with everyone I know and with everyone in the travel forums.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Residence-Hotel, Owner at The Residence Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to respond to Ms. Grace Chen's letter.

My name is Terry Butler, and I have lived in Aspen for the past 44 years.
I started my hotel 25 years ago on the upper floor of a beautiful, historic, downtown building that was built in 1886.
I am the owner/operator of this small business, but unfortunately I do not own the building....

Through the years as I worked with my landlord, I remodeled the apartments one by one, and finally was able to transform them into a boutique hotel. I am a small Mom and Pop business, I being the Mom, and Max, my beloved 4 footed partner, has been the Pop for 14 years until we lost him a few months ago. We still struggle with that awful loss.

I live in the hotel, and I personally take most reservations and meet and greet practically every guest.

Due to the economic downturn three years ago, I have had to cast a wider net..........and have started using some outside booking agencies to increase reservations.
Unfortunately, in casting the wider net, you do lose a certain amount of control, and mistakes will be made.........and they have.

I am so sorry to say, apparently, Ms. Chen's reservation was one of those outside agency mistakes.

With such a short season in a mountain town, almost all hotels here have to have minimum stays for holidays.
I have had a minimum 4 night policy for over 15 years during The Food and Wine Festival every June. If I had broken the policy for Ms. Chen......... in order to be fair, I would have had to break policy for every other potential client asking for a lesser stay. How unfair to all my former guests who have abided by this policy for all these years!

According to Ms. Chen, when she made her reservation with the agency, they did not inform
her of the 4 night minimum.

We called her immediately when we realized their mistake, and asked her if she could increase her stay to meet our 4 night minimum. Our prices are so reasonable that many of our guests book for 4 nights even if they can only stay 3......this happens often.
Ms. Chen wanted me to break my policy of 4 nights for her, and when I told her I could not, she became quite aggressive.
I told her we had not taken any money for her reservation, and she still had plenty of time to find alternate accommodations that fit her schedule, as the festival was still almost 5 months away.

I am so sorry that the booking agency made this mistake, and that I simply could not fix it.

As a small hotel, I must maintain minimum night stays for special events.........taking into consideration that Aspen is a seasonal town.

I pride myself and my business on our customer service. Most of my guests are repeat customers and have been staying with us for as many as 15 years now.

This unfortunate, isolated incident is in no way a reflection of how we conduct business at the Residence Hotel in Aspen, Co.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Terry Butler
Owner/operator
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Each trip I've taken to Aspen, the Residence has made my stay a unique and magical experience. The location is ideal, right in the centre of Aspen's commercial core, making it easy to walk just a few blocks to the slopes, to tons of nice restaurants and to all the galleries, shopping and other charms of this mountain town. The one-of-a-kind suites in the hotel are so much nicer than staying in any of the generic luxury chain hotels in the city, and the antiques, tapestries and artwork really give the place a European feel. I would always choose the Residence just for the rooms and the location, but add in the best, most individualised, caring , and thoughtful guest service I've ever experienced, and the Residence really feel more like a home away from home than a hotel. I would strongly recommend choosing the Residence for visitors to Aspen.

Room Tip: Definitely book early and ask about the different room options available. I've stayed in many of...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Could not have said it better ourselves. Your review highlights everything we strive for here. Thank you for taking the time to write this down.
Terry

Been to The Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!