“A skiers lodge” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   334 W Hyman Ave, Aspen, CO 81611   |
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
“A skiers lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Aspen at one time was full of accommodations like this, a skiers place. Friendly people, clean, a GREAT pool, 2 short blocks from the bus route or 6 blocks to downtown.
I have stayed here many times, always consistent.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Coyhaique
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have stayed before at the Moritz, and coming back feels a little like coming home. This time we had a larger room and it was great! It had a kitchenette with everything you might want to cook a homemade meal and great housekeeping service-- these things are important for a mom!
They also have a silent-time policy that is great if you have kids and want to go skiing early in the morning on the next day.
Breakfast is delicious from 7 to 9:30 and evenings feature a glass of Chardonnay, or cider and rum in the lounge area next to the fireplace. People gather there to chat and enjoy the wine and it's really very nice and relaxing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Given that Aspen is so expensive, St Moritz was a really nice find. Well priced, great location - just a two minute walk to the center of aspen without being too noisy and intense. It really had everything you needed and a great little pool. The free drinks in the mornign and evening were a really nice touch. We also had the best continental breakfast on our trip at the St Moritz - but be sure to get in early. We didn't stay long but would happily stay again and definately recommend it to friends heading to the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I've stayed in some gorgeous & expensive hotels throughout the United States, but this one tops them all.
Yes, the staff made it 5 stars, yes the owner has thought of everything to make this a great place to stay, and yes, it's in the prettiest town on earth.
Super clean, well run, absolutely adorable with all the flowers everywhere, a 92 degree pool, snacks, beverages, happy hour.. he's thought of everything!
A bunch of great employees make the visit awesome.
I had a shared room, all to myself, along with a refrigerator in the room, and the bathroom down the hall. Sucked that there were dirty women using the bathhroom with no thought or consideration to the others...... But that's part of hostelling.. A few dirty women..

Situated away from all the noise and stores, just a walk to the main part of town...
Plenty of free parking and a kitchen downstairs with a TV. No stove or fridge in the kitchen..
I had to use the grill for all my cooking, but it was fine... plenty of gas.

I would highly recommend this place for the fact that it's afforable in a ritzy ski resort, and everyone is friendly... Clean, well situated, everything you need without the $300/night cost.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were in Aspen for only one night and booked here because the price was right. We were in the dorm floor and the bathroom was shared but the room and bathrooms were clean (although no screen in the window) and the breakfast offerings were generous. Throughout the day there are snacks and wine in the afternoon. The location is a couple of blocks north of the city center but everything is walkable. We walked into town for dinner and then out to the Aspen Music Festival.
The staff were very helpful in terms of recommendations for meals and directions.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Initially we booked St Moritz because of the price and location. All we wanted was a place to crash.
And it ended up being the center of our holiday. The lodge had everything we needed, free wi-fi, laudary room, great breakfast, free biscuits rum wine and coffee every afternoon. And popocorn, don't forget the popcorn.
But, as I always say, when one enjoys a holiday, it's not the place, scenery and such, which makes it special, it's always the people. And St Moritz has the greatest team we have ever met.
If you go through my reviews you'll se we stayed at 3, 4 and 5 star hotels. We have never received such considerate and friendly service. It actually was more than service, we made friends. Next year I'm booked for the whole month of February. Exactly the same room we had this year.
One more thing.
This is the first hotel I have decided to stay at twice. And the first ski resort I plant to visit twice (I've been to Queenstown twice because of conveninece, rather than a burning desire).

Room Tip: All rooms within each price range is great, as per the website.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My experience may have been average because I came alone and took advantage of the shared room situation and I couldn't tell whether my room or my random roommate was smelly. Either way, I had to purchase a scented candle to get by. The best thing about this place is definitely the staff--they are super friendly and informative. One young lady in particular gave me great recommendations for a concert and a spa which I acted on and had an amazing time despite the dismal snowfall last season. Ultimately, if you come to St. Moritz Lodge you have to expect to stay in a older building with minimal renovations (due to the original owners convictions) that has "character." There is no elevator (brutal for carrying heavy ski bags) or high end amenities, just the basics. The management does a good job of adding special touches like breakfast in the morning coffee/cocoa/tea & cookies in the afternoons, and happy hour drinks in the evenings. Parking is really easy and convenient. Walking to the center of town can be a challenge if the roads/side walks are really icy, but its not impossible. Overall, I am satisfied with my stay @ St. Moritz, but given what I paid for a shared room/bathroom (hostel-like situation) I did have a little higher expectations. If I'm just looking for a (relatively) cheap safe/clean place to bunk, I'll def return to St. Moritz, but I won't be disappointed if I can afford to never have to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
stmo, Manager at St. Moritz Lodge & Condominiums, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
A thank you for all the compliments. The shared hostels are an inexpensive way to enjoy Aspen, however when you have a room mate there may be times that things are not ideal. If there is a situation that a person has a problem with a room mate we usually can move them into another hostel room or sometimes we just upgrade them into a private hostel to make sure they are comfortable during their stay. We also have standard lodge rooms, but they are at a higher nightly rate.