“Friendly inexpenisve place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Friendly inexpenisve place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Its cheap but you risk sharing a hostel like room, yet everyone is friendly and it has a decent atmosphere. The staff is great and the internet is free. I stay here often when I am on business trips.

Plus it is right near the center of Aspen - so you can walk in to town for dinner and drinks.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is such a great place, just a couple of blocks away from the center - nice and quiet. The rooms are very chic with a retro feel to them. We didn't experience noise from other rooms as others has said here, so I guess we were lucky (and it was fully booked). It' s one of the nicer priced hotels and lodge in the exclusive city, and we loved that we had both breakfast included and a very nice pool, backyard, sauna and jacuzzi we could use. One of our favorite places on our trip trough Colorado!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

In Aspen, the premium is on staying in a quiet area, not on main street. The St. Moritz fits that billing perfectly. It's quiet. It makes a big difference to be two blocks away from main street. And the swimming in the about 25 ft pool with a nice temperature was a great start into each day. Staff is engaged and takes pride in the place.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Manlydave
I stayed in a room with shared bathroom as I was traveling alone and wanted somewhere not too expensive. The room had two beds - but just me - the room was fine although a little warm till turned heating down. Breakfast was great, porridge, ceral, fruit, toast, cakes, hard boiled eggs etc - although it is plastic plates and utensils. Great position for buses, although a 10 minute or so walk to town. Staff were very helpful. And yes I would stay there again if travelling alone - only downside was the walls are thin.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Crested Butte, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

The staff of the St. Moritz was so friendly to my group of about 8 friends. They offered to open the pool early if we needed it, and were relaxed about check-out time. We love the heated (90 degrees!) pool, the fact that they didn't mind cans of beer by the pool, the complimentary wine & rum, and the location. Also, we could stay there for a single night. A lot of Aspen requires a several nights minimum stay. If you are on a budget, I can't imagine a better set-up in Aspen.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
teton village
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My brother and I just needed a place to crash after a late night concert. Everything was perfect. Great location within walking distance to everything. We saw a nice sauna outside which we didn't have time to use. Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean. Bathroom was big enough. The rooms have LCD TVs. Couldn't ask for more for the money that we spent. We didn't want to spend $500/ night at some of the "nicer" places in town.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Our stay was alright. We basically rented the room so we could sleep, then ski. That was it. We wanted a no frills. It didn't work out as expected. We spent quite a lot of time at the lodge. To the most part this worked out. I'll start with the room.

The room has those old 80's style bed sheets with the flowers. The television is a great piece of hardware and its high enough on the wall that you don't have to crane your neck at night to see it. It even has a built in DVD player. Not that we used it, but I can see where if someone wanted to upload camera photos or videos from the slopes they certainly could. The bathroom was by far the best. Somehow, the room lacked in appearance, but the bathroom was really nice! They did a good job with the counter tops and shower. Glass windows envelope the entire shower and provide plenty of space. The shower head is extremely high so if you are short...you're out of luck. The sliding door was annoying. There isn't room for any other type. Every time we went to push it back it caught and made a ton of racket. The stove was nice. At least one of the burners was. In the room we had there was one burner that just didn't want to stay down in the pocket where it sits. The kitchenette piece was a nice otherwise. The pans provided are in good shape as well. Microwave worked well. No complaints.

The beds were alright. Probably old. After a hard day of skiing it hardly mattered. Pillows were lumpy. Sheets were scratchy. That comes with industrial washers/dryers though. Probably need to invest in new par levels on linens for the hotel. But I don't see that happening.

The housekeeping staff was amazing. They did a great job with our room each morning. I won't lie, we messed it up each morning and in the afternoon when we came back, it was fixed. She even organized our belongings. A nice touch. Best housekeeping staff I've ever had while traveling. I'm glad we never used the DND sign. We would have missed out on phenomenal service. She did the dishes too. What more could you ask for?

The breakfast was what I expected. Cold, with stuff to warm up. Cereal, orange juice, cold waffle bread that you threw in the toaster, and various condiments and fruit. What really grossed me out is that there were no chafing silverware. Every morning when I went down for breakfast guests were expected to use their own knife or fork or spoon to get items. That is disgusting. Fix that immediately. Seeing a guest use his knife on the peanut butter after he used it on something else is horrible! Not to mention, they don't use individual packages. Hotels get a bottle of Peanut butter, and they set it down and walk away. Seeing guests pick through fruit with a spoon they used on cereal was really horrible. Must have been a fantastic idea. Quit being cheap and spend some extra money on utensils. It is embarrassing. And a health hazard. What would you do if some poor kid who is allergic to peanut butter gets sick because YOU the hotel didn't have separate chafing silverware to separate Jelly from Peanut butter.

The front desk staff was scruffy at best. No ties, no combed hair, no dress clothing, or even dress shoes. Most front desk clerks I saw wore jeans and buttoned shirts unbuttoned and untucked. Almost as if...I'll dress up, but give up half way through and go back to bed. Shave your face too. Having a week old growth with no direction makes for one creepy looking employee. We had to hang in the lobby and wait for a taxi and I was astonished by the words that one employee used. He had a small rush with the phones and he started throwing a temper tantrum and swearing. That is unacceptable. Do your job. Smile. Look nice and, don't be a jerk because you have to work. Answer the phone and play nice.

The hotel was certainly an experience. The heated pool was great for a long soak. I really liked it. The location was fine. It is away from the town so expect to walk. Or take a taxi. The walls are paper thin, but thats because it is an old wooden building. The courtyard is a nice touch. I enjoyed that very much. Neat colors. I'm sure in the summer it really shines with fresh flowers. The view is covered up by a large expanse of rock. You won't be seeing the ski hills unless you go outside.

Keep the housekeepers, and fix those front desk clerks. A hotel is a business. Even if your rooms are selling for $25.00 (ours was $250.00/night), you better look professional. Looking like a slob is unacceptable. You work with the public. Show the public you can look good for a nice property. Don't swear and learn better manners. It is rude. I paid a lot for your hotel room and I expect for you to look the part.

Wine and rum in the lobby at nights was interesting. Never expected a shot of rum at the counter from a front desk clerk. Not complaining, just find it curious. Where did that start?

If you are thinking of staying at this location, keep in mind that it is located in Aspen Village. It is close to the hills. It is right around the corner from the shuttle that takes you to other ski hills, and it is close to the Hickory BBQ restaurant. Eating there is amazing. I would stay here again just to be near that restaurant.

Wish there was a way to describe its style as "needs a good scrub." Hopefully I'll come back and see improvements.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends