“Good Location, Nice Hotel, But Mediocre Service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Southern US
“Good Location, Nice Hotel, But Mediocre Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We stayed at the St. Regis for a three day weekend. While this was a nice hotel, I expected top notch service given how expensive this hotel is. Normally, I wouldn’t complain about some of these things, but I was irritated that we paid about $500 a night and still received mediocre customer service. It took about 15-20 minutes to check-in even though there was only one person ahead of us. There was only one employee behind the check-in desk and she was dealing with a difficult guest. We were left standing there for almost 20 minutes before the manager came out to help her and we could check-in. While we were waiting, I asked the concierge some questions and she was stand-offish. She would answer me with a curt “yes” or “no” without elaborating, forcing me to ask follow up questions to get a full answer. I thought the concierge should have been more friendly and forthcoming. We were not in our room most of the day and despite this, our room was never cleaned before we returned. We always had to leave again so it could be cleaned. The housekeeper didn’t speak or understand English very well, but fortunately, I spoke her language and could communicate with her. The comforter on both beds had brown and yellow stains on them. The worst service I encountered was at the valet. Most of the employees there were young kids (teenagers or twenty-something) and probably don’t have much experience or understanding of customer service. My friend and I walked up to the stand to ask the valet for walking directions to a restaurant, the young valet saw us and still, without a word to us, walked away to talk a delivery man. We idled by the valet stand while the young valet made small talk with the delivery man. He finally acknowledged our existence and helped us after about 10 minutes. When we checked out, the bellman said our bags were packed in our car trunk. My husband checked the trunk and found no luggage inside. After a little searching, they found our bags in a corner somewhere. I can't believe how close we came to driving away without our bags. When the hotel is charging such high rates, they should do better than stained bedding, housekeepers who can't communicate in English and slacker dudes for valet and bell service. I admit that I didn't complain to the manager because I didn't want to waste what little time I had in Aspen tattling on the employees. Also, a hotel of this caliber shouldn't have to be told to step up their service.

The restaraunt was the best part of the hotel. It had some of the best food we encountered in Aspen and the service was excellent. The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. The location is excellent- dozens of shops and restaraunts within a 15 minute walking distance. Other than the subpar service I mentioned before, we enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I must first say that this hotel is amazing! Many reviews say that this hotel is messy or has bad service etc... Do not listen to them. This hotel is perfect for almost anyone. The rooms are spacious and have great views. If you're traveling with young children, the cleaning service will often leave complimentary teddy bears. The staff is always happy to help and can give great ideas for how to spend a day. The location of the hotel is charming. Tucked away from all the bustle, it's only takes a couple minutes to walk downtown. Here you will find Aspen's best restaurants, clothing shops, and other places unique to aspen. One of the most exciting things I did here was dog sledding. You cannot compare anything to the thrill of being pulled down a hill by enthusiastic dogs. Transportation to and from the hotel and mountains is good. You have to walk a block to get to the bus stop, but once you're there it can only be a five minute wait, tops. Because the St. Regis is not on a mountain it takes the busses a few minutes to get to them. Buttermilk, the nearest mountain, does not take long at all. I have traveled here many times and have always found it remarkable. Don't let the other reviews scare you away, this hotel is a work of art.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I recently traveled to Aspen for a conference and was incredibly disappointed with the St. Regis. I have stayed in Starwood resorts all over the world and have come to expect a certain level of service which I certainly did not find here. Several other hotel guests commented that this was by far the worst St. Regis they had ever been to. Doors were not opened, the staff was rude and general unhelpful. The answer to any request was No. Not, let me see what I can do for you, just No! I would highly recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
hotel1Aspen, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2009
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments. Please know that we take all comments posted very seriously and appreciate the feedback as it is of utmost importance to us in order to help us maintain and improve our service standards. It was a little disconcerting to read your comments about our associates being rude and unhelpful as that is one of the areas where we at the St. Regis Aspen consistently receive very high marks from our guests. If you happened to encounter the exception rather than the rule during your stay, please accept our sincerest apologies as that type of behavior neither meets St. Regis standards nor certainly your expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to hear more about your experience and to discuss it with you if you would care to. If so, you may e-mail me at info@stregisaspen.com and it would be my pleasure to contact you directly. Sincerely, S. Geray, General Manager, St. Regis Aspen Resort.
vancouver, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Over the top service. Free pickup and drop off at the airport.

Decent rooms, but not my style. I was expecting a bit more for nearly $1000 per night.

Ridiculously overpriced breakfast buffet - paid $40 for some toast and eggs.

Great concierge was very helpful. The entire staff went out of their way to be polite, helpful, and gracious. We had no issues throwing a large party until 4AM at night in one of the suites... Great location - Aspen is awesome!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
SoccerDad&Son
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

The creme de la creme! The absolute best hotel experience I have had in 10+ years in the travel industry! I would put full faith in the management of this hotel to execute the highest level of customer needs. Our conference included guests used to skiing the Alps and they were simply blown away. Although I expected a high level of service from the St. Regis flag, the staff totally blew me away and has won me over for our January board meeting. Please note that I am rating this hotel in comparison with other hotels in its class, not of all properties in general...this is a 5 out of 5 for a 5 Star property! Our group had some very unique requests and everything went without perfectly as planned. I would rate this as a top 5 desination in the Americas and top 25 in the wolrd that I have stayed at. I have no affiliation with hotel other than my customer loyalty. I can't wait to be back in 2010!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Hotel is in a great location... Very close to all the shopping and restaurants. Staff was very friendly and the rooms were great. This is a great place to stay if you visit Aspen.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Every single aspect of our trip to the St. Regis Aspen was absolutely sublime. It was my first trip to the hotel and to Aspen: I can't wait to return to this fabulous city but most of all to the St. Regis. The staff went on beyond. The hotel facilities are gorgeous, from the cozy lobby bar, to the fantastic rooms and the outdoor jacuzzis. We paid for the stay with Starwood points - I can't imagine paying $1000+ to stay at any American hotel, but I can see how the St. Regis Aspen gets away with it. It is 5-star perfection. Definitely not the "scene" you might get at the Little Nell if that's what you're looking for, but the location was amazing and so was everything else. It was a dream of a trip. I can't understand any negative reviews St. Regis has gotten on TripAdvisor - I thought it was totally fantastic.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple