“St. Regis Aspen Rocks” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Aspen
Edwards, Colorado
“St. Regis Aspen Rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Super staff and service. Excellent location in heart of Aspen. Family friendly. Perfect pool and hot tubs. Great food. Lobby, lounge and bar area are second to none. We had a wonderful experience and look forward to returning SOON!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

I am very pleased that you had the opportunity to stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort on your recent vacation. I very much enjoyed reading your kind recommendation of our establishment and our bespoke service. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Kindest Regards,
H. Steenge-Hart, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Home Counties
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We took three rooms at the St Regis (standard, superior, junior suite) for a week of family skiing and it all started so well. Pleasantly met at the airport; quickly shuttled to the attractive hotel; an enjoyable bar snack in the chef’s table restaurant after our long transatlantic flight; and a speedy extensive buffet breakfast the next morning not to mention the splendid Aspen Sports shop attached to the hotel. Unfortunately, with the honourable exceptions of Aspen Sports (who were consistently excellent) and the junior hotel staff who were exceptionally friendly and helpful, everything went downhill fast. Apparently $45M has been spent on the recent refurbishment and my news for the unfortunate investors is that most of this money has been utterly wasted. Whilst the rooms are reasonably sized and stylish they do not meet the needs of their guests. Cupboard space is fine for a short-stay executive but inadequate if you have ski clothes to hang up (and isn’t that supposed to be a major market in Aspen?). A dopey designer might consider the room lighting to be chic and a triumph of subdued style but because there are so few lights (with peculiar and pointless switches) and none overhead it is impossible to read anything. The air conditioning is a masterstroke of stupidity. The thermostat is located 10 cm above the (single) air outlet. Thus, on one side of the air outlet, the bathroom is 15 degrees colder whilst, on the other side, the sleeping area is 10 degrees cooler. Stand near the windows (e.g. to read something) and it is 15 degrees colder. The engineer told us to set it 12 degrees higher than we wanted it. The bed, poor thing, singlehandedly attempts to redress the designed-in dreadful balance of style versus substance. It is one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. Hurrah! Unfortunately, should you visit the bathroom in the middle of the night (the lights will of course turn themselves on and absolutely refuse to turn off for some considerable time) you will bang your shin on the sharp corner of the leather covered bed base. Naturally, the style-conscious part of your brain will consider a bleeding shin a small price to pay for such finely stitched leather and beautiful sticking-out corners… Or perhaps not. You may want to sit on the sofa (what for? You can’t read a book there), but whilst the cushion colours and patterns may be gorgeous, they are clearly meant to be looked at and not used because they are uncomfortable. Unhappily, our junior suite was limited to a single armchair so one of us was reduced to flopping about on the sofa anyway. Stylish but unfit for purpose.
Once you escape from your dimly-lit room you will be at the mercy of the bean-counters that seem to run the hotel. The hotel has only one non-breakfast restaurant (see separate entry under “the restaurant at the St. Regis,” known as The Chefs Table) so the eating choice is reduced to bar snack or so-called “ultra-fine” dining. Completely hopeless. Two days after we arrived – actually for the next five days - the breakfast buffet was missing (not even a continental half-offering). We had to order everything plate by plate which took 45 minutes because the number of breakfast staff had been reduced. This is wholly unacceptable for skiers who want to get out there. We were told that occupancy was down and therefore changes had been made. The same thing happened in the main bar. Service speed was tortoise. Probably caused by shift patterns incompatible with demand and/or staff numbers being reduced to an “appropriate” ratio for that days occupancy levels allied with customer-hostile working practices (e.g. not allowing waiters to both wait-on and bartend – presumably for financial control reasons, and requiring waiters to trek 200 yards each way for food - which was therefore cold when it arrived). On one occasion I had to cancel a bar order after a 15 minute wait because we no longer had time to drink it!
Given that the hotel’s rack rate for our rooms averaged circa $1000 per room per night, one might reasonably expect the rooms to be both practical and stylish and to include standard items such as wi-fi and use of sauna . But this is not the case. Wi-fi will cost you an extra $15 a day whilst entering the spa will cost you $50 a day at least (obviously massage etc is additional). What unimaginative managerial bean-counting cretin has invented these silly charges, insisted on inadequate staff ratios allied with bad working practices and not realised that service quality and customers’ experience are extremely adversely affected? Where is the real hotel manager? I never saw one and, although I suspect I may have glimpsed a duty manager once, none of them ever talked to me either in passing or on purpose. What does he or she do? How does he or she know what is going on or what their guests think unless they walk around and talk to people? Has he or she gone AWOL and bean-counters taken over?
Even after we checked out late morning I suffered yet more gratuitous bean-counting incompetence. My credit card company called to verify some charges and it turns out the hotel has charged my card $291 more than the bill I signed as we left. Not easy to spot because, unlike most hotels that wait until you leave before making a single charge for the agreed amount, the St Regis charges lots of little amounts to your card throughout your stay (no doubt because bean-counters want everything approved). But this makes any discussion between customer and credit card company distinctly difficult. Which lunatic invented that process? St Regis didn’t bother to acknowledge my email enquiring about the discrepancy but replied after 36 hours explaining that some laundry and breakfast had not been posted at the time we left. Why not? There was plenty of time. Hopeless.
The whole thing is quite infuriating because, in truth, if the hotel was run by people (not simply the top person - it is painfully obvious that the managerial rot has extended to many in the middle ranks) who care and understand what guests expect, need and want it could be so, so much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort this February. I am very pleased to hear that you received uncompromising service from our airport butler, valet staff, Aspen Sports staff and Chefs Club by FOOD & WINE.

Unfortunately, I am absolutely troubled to read of your frustrations regarding your
accommodations, speed of service in the lounge and billing at check-out. This type of service certainly does not meet our standards, and for that I apologize. I encourage you to reach out to my office directly at info@stregis.com so that I may discuss these matters with you and offer further assistance.

Kind regards,
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the St. Regis Aspen this past January and had the most amazing stay. The staff was extremely attentive and the property is beautiful and very well maintained. The St. Regis also has the perfect location for exploring the town of Aspen. I would also like to make special mention of the fantastic service provided by Miguel (the Front Desk Manager). He was there to anticipate all of our needs and always did so with a gracious smile. Miguel was also able to help us with restaurant suggestions, as well as activity recommendations. Miguel really made out stay special! I highly recommend the property.

• Stayed January 2013
StRegisAspenResort, General Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Valued St. Regis Aspen Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your January stay at The St. Regis Aspen Resort. I am delighted to hear that you experienced the full benefit of our bespoke service through our staff and our Front Desk Manager, Miguel. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you to the resort again in the future.

Kind regards,
Norman, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We recently spent a few days at the St Regis in Aspen. The location is great. They have recently redone the decor downstairs and in the rooms. We stayed in the residence part of the hotel. The new suites are beautiful. Before they were very dark and cave like, now they are modern and bright. The lobby has been redone as well. It's a hit and miss in my opinion. Overall the hotel is beautiful.
The service is iffy at best. We went to the lobby two different days after skiing for drinks and the service is terrible! We would place an order and wait 15 -20 minutes for a bottle of beer! Both days we ended up walking over to the bar and getting the order ourselves. One day we asked for our bill and 45 minutes later we still didn't have it. We finally went to the bar and told the bartender what we had and he wrote one up so we could pay. There is no excuse for such terrible service in a five star hotel!
We had reservations at the restaurant the Chefs Club at 8:30 on valentines day. We specifically asked for the chefs table. They told us it was open and we could have it. When we arrived at 8:20 they had our reservation, but the chefs table was full and instructed us to take a seat in the bar. We waited 30 minutes without ever being waited on. We finally went back to the front desk to ask what was going on and were informed the the group eating at the chefs table had been seated there about15 minutes before we arrived. They were trying to hurry them up but it would be about 30 more minutes. We told them we would take another table, which of course they didn't have. They finally found a high top to seat us in. We waited at least another 15 minutes before the waiter even came over to take our drink order! Needless to say the service was terribly slow. We were there until after 11 PM. The food was just okay, and outrageously expensive. We never received an apology or anything for our inconvenience. I hope we never have to go back there. I realize it was valentines day, and they were packed, but they knew what to expect... They (supposedly) take reservations!
I did go to the spa Remede. It was wonderful! You don't have to stay at the hotel to make a spa appt.
So the rooms are beautiful, the location great but the service not so much. It's very pricy, so if you want pampering you might look else where, unless you are looking for a spa, then consider Remede.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued St. Regis Guest,

We are so pleased you were able to stay with us at The St. Regis Aspen Resort for the Valentine’s Day holiday. I am very pleased you found your overall experience in our residences to be inviting, and that you enjoyed the changes we made during our renovation of the Residence Club. However, I am concerned by your observations regarding your experience in our lounge and at Chefs Club. Service beyond expectation is a top priority with all of our associates here at the resort and we are truly sorry that you did not have the experience that you were anticipating. This certainly does not meet our standards, nor certainly your expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.

I do hope that we may welcome you to the resort again in the future where you will have our promise for an uncompromising stay. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further concerns or questions.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Spent the afternoon in Rèmede spa and got drinks in shadow mountain lounge afterwards. The spa treatment was a couples massage. Afterwards my fiancé and I moved to the lobby lounge. The service in the lounge was exceptional. Peter the australian bartender was a great conversationalist and
talking futbol with Mariano was a great way to end my relaxing afternoon. Thank you everyone who was involved in my tranquil day! I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Peter and Mariano were amazing bar tenders, pretty hilarious guys. Recommended me some good whisky, I wasn't disappointed with their suggedtion. The waitress Gianella sweetess girl ever, nice smile very polite. Two thumbs up!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here over New Years and for the price we were paying, I was extremely underwhelmed.

First the high points:
Concierges were amazing and did a fantastic job of getting us dinner and lunch reservations at an extremely busy time. The female concierge who's name I've forgotten was particularly friendly and helpful. Really great.
The Chef's club: WOW. A truly spectacular dining experience. If you are staying in the hotel do not miss the opportunity to eat here. Our waiter Mark answered all our questions and could have talked about the food all evening. The food and service was fantastic.

Now for the low points:
We arrived late in the evening but I felt our check in experience was disappointing. There was no warm welcome. The guy seemed inexperienced and nervous. Not what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel.
The room: beautiful furniture and fittings and a comfortable bed. Maybe we were just unlucky with location. We were at the side of the hotel with little natural light and mostly looked out on to wall with the jacuzzis to the side.
We left early in the morning to ski but 2 out of 5 days arrived back after 4pm to find our room still wasn't made up. Overall wasn't impressed with the housekeeping. Very standard. Rang twice for an iron which never appeared.
The Lifts: There's two lifts but one was broken our whole entire stay and the other kept breaking so you'd find yourself either taking the service elevator or waiting for up to ten mins for the lift.
Hot water: There was no hot water at one point. Again not what you'd expect at a 5 star hotel but again probably one of those annoying things that broke and was fixed asap.

If I was returning to Aspen in the future I believe my money would go further in some of the other hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheStRegisAspen, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Aspen Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay, we truly value the feedback from our guests. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the services provided by our concierge and at Chef’s Club by FOOD & WINE. We are proud of this innovative concept that brings the pages of the illustrious FOOD & WINE magazine to life, showcasing some of their Best New Chefs at our resort.

We are sorry however, that we fell short of expectation in other areas like at check in and housekeeping. We also sincerely apologize for the issue with the hot water and elevator, these unexpected service issues are always a disappointment not only to guests but to us as well. While we were able to fix the hot water quickly, the elevator unfortunately needed a special order part and took longer than expected to arrive.

We hope that you’ll return to The St. Regis Aspen Resort again so we can show you the signature St. Regis service we are known for.

Been to The St. Regis Aspen Resort? Share your experiences!